RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: FLASH HOLE/NIPPLE PICK[to make one?]

Boolit Buddy

FLASH HOLE/NIPPLE PICK[to make one?]

My son and i have Lyman deer stalkers ,also GPH's. He has lost his flash hole pick,more than once!
    What can we use to make a few of these? What type of wire would be stiff enough and what is the dia. of it?

I have one that consists of a little drill bit glued into a piece of aluminum rod. That would be cheap and easy to make, and you can get a drill bit that just fits into the hole through the nipple. I also have more traditional ones made from deer antler tips and music wire. They all work.

-Nobade

Not sure how small the hole is, but couldn't you use a paper clip or a brad or finishing nail the right size?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I go to the hobby shop, and get some of what I call music wire. Very hard and stiff. Comes in about 36" lengths. You can take along a nipple or vent liner to get a proper size.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Welding supplys tores sell a tip cleaner with a set of wires one will does fit the ipples vents touch holes and can be used very efficently.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyp View Post
    My son and i have Lyman deer stalkers ,also GPH's. He has lost his flash hole pick,more than once!
    What can we use to make a few of these? What type of wire would be stiff enough and what is the dia. of it?
    You could easily pick one up from a welding supply shot... tip cleaners.

Never mind.... what ^^^^^ sayed

Boolit Bub
    Call a piano tuner and get old piano wire. Works great and most likely would cost little or nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a small copper wire on my GPR. Doesn't need to be that stiff IMO. Just stripped the insulation off about an inch of it and twisted a loop on the other end. The nipple pick along with my primer flask and a small pan brush are on a string that I wear around my neck. Also I'm not to sure about steel on steel when messing with black powder. just my $0.02 worth.
    siamese4570

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks,folks. All are good ideas and i will trying them.

Boolit Master
    I just use paper clips or dehaired (singed) pipe cleaners. If a bit thick a little file work or time with an emery board or sandpaper will thin them down. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    If you know a place that sells fishing lure components, .036 wires used for heavy duty spinners will work great as will the even heavier wire used to make spinner baits.

I go to a hobby shop and buy model railroad wire. It is springy and twists nicely and solders nicely to make nipple picks. I always have at least a half dozen and pass them out at shoots to novice shooters. They are really cheap, maybe a couple bucks for ten wires about 18" long. Previously I would buy banjo & guitar stel strings and make picks from them. Much more expensive however.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn