MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally found a really Nice Press

Boolit Buddy

Finally found a really Nice Press

Went to a friends place yesterday with a bunch of reloading stuff for him..he needed powder and bullets. Did a little shooting at his range(bench in the garage). Anyway. I ended up buying a Forster Co-Ax press.New but no box. Had all the papers and parts. Never really used one but thought I just hadda have it. Best part is..I got it a RCBS powder measure stand and an old Ohaus Duo Measure in good shape w/box for 85 bucks. Whoo Hoo. Now I gotta figure out how to use it. And what for. The Duo Measure is going somewhere else..but I'll list it on S&S in a couple days. Anybody ever used one of these presses. Pluses or minuses??

Boolit Buddy
    Forster Co-AxPress is a very nice press. It mounts on top of your loading bench and takes less space for the handle stroke than most. It has good mechanical advantage (some users even make a short handle for use when loading handgun ammo.). It catches the spent primers very nicely. Usually uses a "universal" shell holder that works for a lot of calibers. It is "different" than a "C" type single station press. It is very easy and quick to change dies. You may want to get some "Forester" or "RCBS" type die locking rings if you have Lee dies that you want to use in the Forester Press. Priming with it is different and also works well for most cartridges. They seem to be in demand. Good find and a good "deal".
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master

A+ You did well ! the current price new in the Midsouth SS catilog for the press is $264.00 and the powder measure is the same as the RCBS powder measure @$77.00 and $25.00 for a stand or $366.00 new pricing of equipmet for $85.00

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I knew I dun good. but didn't realize the press was that expensive. I thought about 200. The Ohaus Duo-measure was a great measure but the plastic hopper cracked at the neck in the bottom I turned a metal one on the lathe and fitted it. Still using it. The top takes a Dillon powder measure tube..on the one I "fixed". The powder measure stand is as new and i will keep it as it is the older threaded type. Only need one nut to keep it tight. Not long ago I bought a Redding Turret press new also..Put it on a Dillon Strong mount so I can put it on top of the bench to load with. I have 4 or 5 4 hole CH presses I mount the same way. Take up no space on the bench when not in use. I gotta start gettin rid of some of this stuff. It is a disease collecting reloading items..I even have 2 RCBS A2s 1-2A and 2 A3s...and a whole bunch of older Rockchuckers

Boolit Master
    Congrats you stole the Forster Co-Ax press at that price. I bought one to replace my RCBS Rock-Chucker I have arthritis and my hands dont like to screw the dies in anymore.
    I like the snap in die system once adjusted it takes no time to switch between calibers.
    I load all of my rifle shells on the Forster Co-Ax press and my pistol shells on one of my Dillon 550b presses (one for small one for large primers)
    I have moved some of my reloading stuff into the bedroom I don't have to think about the weather it gets too hot in the Garage in the summer to reload.
    Bought a Kennedy reloading benches when Sportsman’s warehouse was going out of business.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Co-axs are selling for almost $400 up here, and no one can keep them in stock!
    A box of beer for your friend might not be amiss
    I use some Lee dies with their original rings and have no problems.
    It is very different to use, but once you get used to it, it is very, very nice.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Co-Ax press. The nicest accessory I have purchased for it is an improved shell holder jaw plate. These are heavier and they are machined to be perfectly aligned. One of the nicest things about it is that it holds the springs captive so they can not fly across the room.

'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Man
    Where did you get the new shell holder jaw plates? Is that from Forrester? I've used the Co-Ax for years and my only complaint is trying to contain the springs when I change the jaws?

Boolit Master
    "The Duo Measure is going somewhere else.."

For goodness sake, NO!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetman View Post
    Where did you get the new shell holder jaw plates? Is that from Forrester? I've used the Co-Ax for years and my only complaint is trying to contain the springs when I change the jaws?
    PM Sent
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    brtelec Same Question where did you get the shell holder? I dont like to change mine because of the spring and I can't see the small stuff like I use to.
    NRA Life Member

One thing to remember about the Co-Ax shell holder is that you can trim the base of an RCBS style shell holder to the point that it can be grabbed like an ordinary case rim for fast conversions. I would NOT get rid of the Duo Measure. I've got two that handle almost anything except 4759 and Varget. The B&M get those.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

brtelec,
    I would appreciate your info as well regarding your improved shell holder jaw plate for your Forester Co-Ax press. Is this something you make or purchase elsewhere? Any any other Co-Ax accessories you have found worthwhile? Thanks.

PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    brtelec My question too. Shellplates?? Where are they available? Guys..the Duo-measure is a nice measure and I have another one anyway. I also have at least 6 Lyman 55s a couple of RCBS and others including a couple of SAECOs and 2 Hollywoods. Also have Francis Quick measure. The Lyman's do as well or better than most. BTW I do use most of them. I load for 31 different calibers and 5 shotshell gauges. I am starting to cull the herd a bit though. Getting rid of all the Rock Chuckers and the 2A and a A2 is going..maybe even one of the A3s. I do not swage bullets any more and haven't for many years so they are really too big for most loading. I hate to say it..but my 50BMG press is a Lee. But it do load 'em ok

Boolit Master
    I also would like more information on the shellholder jaw plate.

r1kk1

Good score, you might consider giving him one of the Rockchuckers if you are trying to downsize.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

The only down side for some with the Co-Ax is that it does not work really well with push through sizing dies, gas check makers, wad cutter dies. It does not bother me as I use an arbor press for some oth that and an ancient Herters "C" press for the push through sizing. Did I mention that I have 2 Co-Ax presses on my bench? You got a great deal on yours.

Boolit Master

I bought a plate from Forster that uses regular shell holders. Works great.
    Don't know if they still offer it or not.
    Denny

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    The only down side for some with the Co-Ax is that it does not work really well with push through sizing dies, gas check makers, wad cutter dies. It does not bother me as I use an arbor press for some oth that and an ancient Herters "C" press for the push through sizing. Did I mention that I have 2 Co-Ax presses on my bench? You got a great deal on yours.
    Well I don't use those type of things very ofter. I have so many presses I can pretty much do most anything with others. I also have a few Herter's presses and other items. I deprime with a universal die on an old Herter's Super Model 3 and still use a Model 81 2 ram press every now and again,. I even have an old 3 ram Pacific Supermag press. All big chunks of American Iron. I like the older presses. Most of the Rockchuckers are the early ones.... with the aluminum primer catchers.. Course..I am older too. Think all that old stuff is in better shape than me..LOL

Boolit Man
    I would also like the info for those captive spring shell holder plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast