WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Powder is best for 308?

Boolit Mold

What Powder is best for 308?

Is the shape of powder important??? And why ??? Thank you!!! I want the best reload for my 308 that I can make! I will have my own cast boolits and reprised cases! The powder is my last step! Thanks for your input!!!

Boolit Mold
    I slugged my 22-250 and that went really well it measured at 223,,, sooo cool !!! I am so pleased I can't wait to do my 308! The 22-250... Is shooting so nice !! I think it makes me look like I know what I am doing or something!!! Lol

Boolit Master
    .308 win was the first metallic cartridge I reloaded, and I asked the very same question. My mentor told me to use 748. good ball powder, meters well,with good results. He also suggested IMR 4064, and IMR 3031. these are stick powders, don' t meter quite as easily as ball powders, but yield good results. 30 yrs later, I still use all three.
    Last edited by CastingFool; 10-30-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I should also mention the powder recommendations were for j-word bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Reloder 15, 4895, Varget, 4064 all do well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your input ... Very good info !!! I have varget ... That is what I used in my 22-250 reloads... I had great results with that!! Thanks again!!!

Boolit Mold
    This is so fun to reload ... My family is wondering what happens to me... Cuz I am so busy reloading and cleaning my guns!!! Don't WORRIE I made cookies this morning for them!!! Lol

Boolit Master
    For full power loads, I use 4064 and it does great, but for light plinking loads, especially subsonic or close to it, I go through a lot of Unique, which is a pistol powder. If you start playing with Unique, be very careful as it burns very quickly so builds a lot of pressure quick, and it doesn't take much so it is VERY easy to put too much of it in a case as large as the .308 Win.

Don't worry about your family, they will eventually realize that you're the "weird goofy" relative, that for some unknown reason shoots a lot more, for a lot cheaper, and seems to be able to make the shots that for the rest of them are either impossible or at least close to it. I never tried bribing my family with cookies, and they still give me a hard time about all the shooting and loading, but for some reason never turn down the meat that magically appears in my freezer...
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Mold
    Lol ... Thanks ... I am working on my 308 load this morning!!! have a great day!!

Boolit Master
    For jacketed loads, I never found anything better than the camp perry powder; AA2520

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've always been partial to Reloder seven . It's a flake powder that has always metered well for me and lights easy in moderate loads Accuracy has always been very good as well .

Jack

The old reloader that originally taught me how to reload said with Bullseye and IMR4895 you can load almost any common cartridge. A later I was shooting on the Connecticut Juniors High Power Rifle team (then 19 years old) and one of the guys that coached the Juniors said all they used was 4895. Nowadays, there are so many powders how can you not want to try a bunch.

Vendor Sponsor

Win 748, Varget , H414, IMR 4064 , Reloader 15 all are good..
    It will really come down to what your rifle and projectile like
    me I would try 748 first .. easy to measure , consistant , and fairly clean burning
    its my go to powder for any 308 to start and usually get a very accurate load quickly
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alaksa girl View Post
    Is the shape of powder important??? And why ??? Thank you!!! I want the best reload for my 308 that I can make! I will have my own cast boolits and reprised cases! The powder is my last step! Thanks for your input!!!
    Alaska girl

Assuming cast bullets in your .308W; best powder for what use? What cast bullet? I ask because frankly there is no one "best powder" for all uses and requirements.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

She is using the lee 170 gr mold C309-170f. She wants to do it herself, so i am staying out of the picture unless there is a safety issue, so advise away. She has her own varget, 4064, accurate 2495, and norma 203b. She loved how the varget shot in her 22-250, so that is a great place to start... She wants a real accurate deer/moose load..... But any of the above will be fine. She has been learning about laddering up loads.

Thanks for the help... She loves this reloading stuff... And she got the bullet out of barrel of her inter-arms mark X 308. A real nice gun....

Attachment 85987
    And a purty lady...
    Last edited by AlaskanGuy; 10-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaksa girl View Post
    This is so fun to reload ... My family is wondering what happens to me... Cuz I am so busy reloading and cleaning my guns!!! Don't WORRIE I made cookies this morning for them!!! Lol
    All's well as long as you keep the cooky jar full and reload enough for Alaska Guy to shoot up in the evenings. lol

Boolit Grand Master

What "real nice gun"............

Oh....back to the question.....what was it? Oh yeah.......powder........Very nice lady indeed and you are a fortunate man.

I suggest she forgo Varget initially and use the AA 2495 which is another flavor of 4895. Reason being is Varget tends to work best at top end pressures and she may not want to go there with the lighter weight 170 gr cast. Suggest Alaska Girl start with 28 gr AA2495 under that Lee bullet and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 32 - 33 gr. A 1/2 gr Dacron filler should also be used. She should find happiness (other than with you of course) with a load in that range. If that works and she wants to try Varget or the 4064 simply use the AA2495 accuracy load as the starting load with either and work up until accuracy goes south. The 1/2 gr Dacron filler should be used with both of those also.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    It my two bolt guns Rel 15 and Norma 202.That is what they like best.I am still experimenting with the M1A.

Boolit Mold
    I will be shooting tomorrow ... I will let you know how my laddering is doing!!! I hope I make the paper... Lol !!! My 308 is not sighted in!!!
    I will be shooting my first cast boolit in my 22-250 and the 308 .... Tooooo cool!!!

Boolit Mold
    I am going to give your 2495 a try and your load suggestion !!! Thanks so much!!! I looked in a couple of different books and your load sounded best!!! Thanks again!!!

Its all good Larry, she has that same effect of loss of concentration on me too... Has for years...lol

You can imagine when grandma alaskan gurl starts doing her belly dancing workout while i am trying to reload... Errrrrr... Why did i just put 36 grains of unique in that 30-30 case????