Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: What is the typical accuracy you expect from your cast boolits?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under MOA

26 15.29%
  • 1-2 MOA

106 62.35%
  • 2-3 MOA

28 16.47%
  • 3-4 MOA

8 4.71%
  • Over 5 MOA

2 1.18%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits - What Accuracy Do You Get?

Boolit Grand Master
    big game rifle 1" m.o.a or less
    varmint rifle .75 m.o.a or less
    handgun m.o.deer at 100 yds open sights(reference 6-8")
    now I am only shooting cast in two rifles, and if I happen to do as well with those rifles with cast as I do with jacketed fodder than I am ahead of the game it usually does not happen but I try
    my loading technique for rifles has come around specific to cast so the odds of me attaining the above groupage with cast is looking bright
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I voted under MOA but that's not shooting with any wind.

I have a couple rifles that will not shoot MOA with cast but they don't do it with jacketed bullets either.

Boolit Master
    Still working out a load for 100yds but at 50yds I'm getting under 1MOA with a Remington 30-06 shooting a 100 grain cast bullet over 5.5 grains of Bullseye. The 100 yd group is a large egg shape with a lot of bullet drop from POA. I'm thinking that I need a heavier bullet to carry at 100 yds. The 50 yd load is a whole lot of fun which is the main reason I've worked it up.

I believe that with a proper workup, proper barrel, etc I believe that you can get sub MOA accuracy.
    There is a range here that has a target at 870 yards (nearly 1/2 mile) and my goal is to shoot lead through my .308 to hit that sucker. Still thinking about it...
    WWG1WGA

Sorry bud but I think this thread withered up a few years ago
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Banner Sponsor

As long as its been brought back up...
    here are a couple of my experiences. I have a 30-06 XCB rifle built by MBT Custom with a 14 twist Shillen barrel.
    The following targets were shot from a clean cold bore. The first shot flyer was a little outside the group, but if you warmed it up first then you could get a much better overall group.
    These targets were at 75 yds. That's as far as my home range goes to.
    This one was the 160XCB bullet with 2500+ lube.

This one was the 160XCB bullet with Carnauba Blue.

From my regular 30-06 mauser with a 10 twist, this was the Ranch Dog 165PB tumble lubed with 45-45-10

Boolit Bub
    I would like for you guys to say what kind of sights you use on your guns when you shoot these good groups. I feel really embarrased at my groups compared to a lot of you guys. Im talking about shooting strictly cast out of Lever actions, either open sight or peep or express sights, no scopes. I load for 25-20, .357, .38 special, 30-30, .348Win,44-40, 45-70, all what I call target loads, a little below factory velocity. I try for 2-3 inchs at 50 yds, thats my goal. Im to old to hunt any more so I just shoot and cast and load for fun now.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    I would like for you guys to say what kind of sights you use on your guns when you shoot these good groups. I feel really embarrased at my groups compared to a lot of you guys. Im talking about shooting strictly cast out of Lever actions, either open sight or peep or express sights, no scopes. I load for 25-20, .357, .38 special, 30-30, .348Win,44-40, 45-70, all what I call target loads, a little below factory velocity. I try for 2-3 inchs at 50 yds, thats my goal. Im to old to hunt any more so I just shoot and cast and load for fun now.
    I prefer iron sights. At 100 yards, I expect 1.5" or less, even with my bad eyes. If a rifle won't shoot that well, they don't live here very long.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I don't think its possible to have bad eyes and shoot 1.5 at 100 with irons, lots of people couldn't even do that with jacketed and a 9x scope

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    I don't think its possible to have bad eyes and shoot 1.5 at 100 with irons, lots of people couldn't even do that with jacketed and a 9x scope
    When I was in junior high, my dad shot a couple fifty cents pieces at fifty yards with open sights to prove a point to one of my know-it-all teachers. (A character in a story we were reading made an impressive shot. Teacher immediately declared it impossible. I argued. He talked down to me.) Neither of us could see the coins at that distance. But, we knew where they were. Took three shots iirc. He missed once.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

With open sights if I can't do 2 moa with rifle and 5 moa with pistol .5 with scoped rifles I have no use for em. I had a s&w .22 4in bbl that burned up in a fire a few years ago that was good to 3 moa never seen another like it since. My bfr is pretty good also need to do some more tinkering.my father had a c&b he regularly shot small game in the head with up to 75 yards. Amazing accuracy can be achieved with cast boolits I know there's some doubtful ppl out there all I can say is with a little experimenting good results can be had

Banner Sponsor

My 30-06XCB has a 6x24 scope on it. The regular 30-06 has a 3x9 scope on it.
    My eyes are getting old and it's hard to keep the sights and the target in focus to shoot small groups with open sights any more.

I’m ecstatic with 3 shot 2” groups at 100 yds and will hunt with it. Cast; iron sights or scope. Smaller groups are nice when they happen, though.

Boolit Master
    Off the bench with open / or peep Sights 3-4 inch at a 100 , but standing off hand ( probably ) in a paper plate at a 100 with cast boolits . To be honest I can't do much better with jacketed bullets open sight shooting .

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    Come to my range, I'll show you groups with, and without glasses!
    I agree some can't do it with a scope. I shot benchrest for a lot of years, know the proper technique for bagging and aim point to get those groups. Some just plain don't know how to shoot off of a benchrest.
    We had a couple rifles sent back to the company over the years, claiming they couldn't do any better than 3" at 100 yards. All rifles were tested and HAD to shoot under an inch, or they didn't leave the shop.
    We would re-shoot the rifles, send the rifle and target back to them, always within the 1" standards. Most of the rifles were big bore dangerous game rifles, and many just can't bear up to what is coming when they squeeze that trigger on the bench.
    This is a target from a couple weeks ago, 1884 Trapdoor Springfield, 100 yards, just under 1.5". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00423.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	240540

10 shots, 100 yards, .358 Win, aperture sights.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kk.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	240542
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-27-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That's some good shooting may have to have you show me some pointers next time I'm in Kalispell. All my shooting has been self taught well besides the military which the instructor was a joke. Dad handed me a gun at a early age gave me a safety lesson and showed me what to do and put me in the woods

Boolit Mold
    I just came into a whitworth rifle for those who don't know this was the most accurate rifle used on the civil war by the south. Made in England it shot a hex sided bullet put of a hex sided barrel (.451) nominal bullet weight 500+ gr. This muzzle loader had confirmed hits out past 1000 yds. If any one has any advise on the rifle I need all the help I can get. P.S. black powder only thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As long as my guns are capable of shooting better than i can thats all i want.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	240557Personally, for me the bigger the bore the better cast shoot! Ishoot 358, 368, and 376 and 412 and enjoy very good groups! The 412 will shoot 1" group @ 100 yards all day, three shots with my Westerfield 740 in 405 JESS 300 gr cast boolit around 1900 fps!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting a Finn model 27 that was made in 1935. Started with the lyman 314299 and never changed either the powder charge 20.0 4759, case Hansen Cartridge co, primer Win LR, and bullet lube. When my eyes cooperate I get about 2" off the bench. Some good days and some not so good days. Wheel weights plus2% tin. Frank

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast