RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Smokey

Boolit Man

Smokey

Boolit lube and powder that smoke the least. Last weekend while shooting indoors some other individuals thought that I was actually shooting black powder. The range was crowded and I even saw one idiot with a shirt pulled up over his nose. My load was: Lee 356-120-TC 9mm Luger with magmas engineering hard lube and 3.8 grains of Winchester 231. Yes it does smoke a lot but it is more accurate than I can hold and I get zero leading in the bore. I am not really looking to change just because some individual shows up once in a blue moon with the box factory ammunition.

Pete

Banned

that was my 38 special black powder faux load when shooting cowboy action.

Boolit Master

If they are really worried about the smell and smoke they should be shooting out side anyways. I use 45/45/10 and it smokes some too but nothing that bad.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Try 50-50 NRA, may give less smoke.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

i'd try clay's powder first.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot revolvers a LOT with my own cast boolits. I find that Lars White Label Carnauba Red smokes less than NRA 50/50 but the powder has a lot to do with it. The powder that gives the least smoke is, as mentioned above, Clay's. It won't eliminate smoking entirely with lubricated cast bullets but it GREATLY reduces it.

However, due to the greater versatility of Titegroup, that is what I am presently using. There is NO denying, however, that, particularly for indoor use, Clay's is cleaner burning and offers a great reduction in smoke. When used with light target loads, it (Clay's) is a superior powder.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Mold
    In my opinion, Winchester Super Target (WST) and VV 320 produce the least amount of smoke when combined with Magma bullet lube. WST costs about 1/2 what VV 320 costs, so I shoot a bunch of WST in 9mm and 40 caliber. Clays is also a good choice for 45 ACP reloading, but may not be the best choice for 9mm and 40.