Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: feasability of a rimliss 460 sw cartridge?

Boolit Bub

feasability of a rimliss 460 sw cartridge?

obviously the drawback is you couldnt get it in a revolver... but then you could do auto loaders or bolt guns? levers arent strong enough, as i hear, and when they are, they cost 2500 bucks... not that rich folks!

so, my concept is to build a rimliss(purposeful spelling, like hotchkiss no?) 460 for applications other than levers and revolvers... what say you?!

Boolit Master
    I think they'd call that a .450 bushmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by filthygovmploye View Post
    obviously the drawback is you couldnt get it in a revolver... but then you could do auto loaders or bolt guns? levers arent strong enough, as i hear, and when they are, they cost 2500 bucks... not that rich folks!

so, my concept is to build a rimliss(purposeful spelling, like hotchkiss no?) 460 for applications other than levers and revolvers... what say you?!
    Puma (Rossi) makes a .454 Casull model 92. Strong enough, not long enough to feed maybe. Kicks like a hot loaded 95.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

The 45 professional is very close to a rimless 460 mag. .030" difference in case length. Even though the 450 BM gives up .1" in case length to the 460, they are equivalent. Being used in a rifle vs a pistol, almost all 450 data you find out does the 460 data.

Boolit Bub
    well shoot. the 458 socom has out produced the 450 BM i think... which means folks arent too keyed up for em...thanks for info guys

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Once upon a time there was a whole slew of longer and longer 45s .
    GAP,ACP,Rowland,Win mag,Auto mag(I read it was proto typed 1.285'' case like the 44).
    I've toyed w/ it some but never got to the build a rifle stage. The ideal to me would be to keep the rim and headspace it on the rim . Then do a revolver type chamber. The virtue in this is that you can safely shoot straight walled cases down to GAP length and have proven load data. I know I've been in the field and come across grouse,chucker,rabbits etc. and just felt like a 180gr rnfp in an 06' would be overkill if you hit more than an eyebrow hair. How handy to slip out 350gr rnfp 460 and slip in a 45 cowboy/acp w/a141gr RB or 165-185 gr rn or swc or even a 1/2oz 410 in a 460 case ? I know a guy has to build a 50-54 cal wad lock full choke to have any kind of pattern. Actually I'm suprized it was never offered in a 336 Marlin after all that was fitted for the 444 and the 450 wasn't it ? A BLR would handle it I think.

Green Mtn has a 45acp 19'' blank $55
    4D rents reamers and headspace ga $50
    Thread & chamber for a savage 10 $100
    Conture to your or a new stock $100
    Viola' now you have $300 in a swap bbl rifle for a mag or standard bolt head to shoot a long taper or small shouldered or belted mag case in or a really long straight walled 45 parented on a 308.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Better heavy bullet selection with the socom, it uses .458" bullets. The 450BM uses .452".

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ll-me-about-it

bushmaster for sure, or just neck up a 284.

If you like shooting cast bullets, any 458 will run just fine. Just run in your sizer die to .452 and go. If you make it REALLY hard or cast it huge like .460, run it through a .454 die first.

Boolit Bub
    ya the bullet selection is getting me.
    tried to find some 284 fired brass but didnt have much luck. i would really like to get it in the ar platform, for semi auto, but perhaps bolt would be better.

as far as a revolver harter, chambering for moon clips i presume you mean?