Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Boots

Boolit Buddy
    I have two pairs of hunting or outdoor cold weather boots. First are the old 1980s Redwing silicon treated leather boots worn to 0 F or so. After that it is the Kaufman Sorels with the felt liner, rubber bottoms and leather uppers. Neither are used for work as they do not have steel toes and when used for their intended purpose have lasted along time.

I recently learned the importance of a removable liner. When camping for a few days or more it is impossible to get my boots to dry out on the inside and they then stay cold. If I could take the liner out and hang it next to the fire it dries out good. I almost. Melted the soles off my bots last time and the inside was still wet.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I have 3 pairs of boots I swear by. The first are Iron Age safety work boots with a plastic toe. They were my last pair when I left work. The Rocky's were when I was working for the local EMS. The Danner's are just a few years old. They are all thinsulate and goretex. The Danners are pretty heavily insulated. But I wear boots 90% of the time October to May. If you do a google search you can find a lot of dealers on time. Personally I want to go into a real store and try them on before I buy them. DO NOT let some pretty girl convince you to try on a pair of their special "BOOT" socks before you try on boots. Wear the socks you would normally wear. For my Danner's I let that pretty girl sucker me into it and now I have to put a pair of those little ankle socks on top of my regular socks. But I still love the boots.

Good luck with your choice.
    Victor
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Banned

I cant argue that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I like anything made by wolvorine or redwing.

Boolit Master
    Years ago, my feet got really cold in my Rocky boots with 200gr. of insulation. I could put on a pair of heavy wool socks, and be fairly comfortable walking. Then, it seemed that I didn't feel the cold any more. "Good", I thought; "I'm finally getting used to cold weather!"

NOT True! I was developing Diabetic Neuropathy of my feet! My kids then insisted I get a good pair of boots for hunting, so I bought some Lacrosse Pac Boots, that were are said to be good to -40 degrees. They were actually the only ones I found at the time that fit my size 15 feet, and were very warm and comfortable with just one pair of socks.

Altho I think I am smart enough to stay indoors when the temperature dips below about 20 degrees, unless I am clearing my driveway, or the widow lady's next door, I later got a pair of the Cabela's Iron Ridge boots on sale...again, they were the only choices in the store that came in size 15. 800-1,00 gr. of insulation, very comfortable and warm with a pair of heavy socks, but no room for liner socks, which didn't provide any extra warmth, that I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    The Danner Pronghorns have always been highly rated in the bowhunting community, and are what I use. They are a very comfortable boot right out of the box and have served me well for years. (6'0" - 250 lbs)
    My choice as well.

Boolit Master
    This may be of no use to you, but I wear an old pair of GI combat bootsthat Ive had for over twenty years, I put in some good insoals and wear wools socks, and I also keep them coated with mink oil or my feet get wet, but they are great lightweight boots. A lot of the guys that were in the service hate these though! I know there are better boots out there nowadays, but this is all I got.

This is what I use... For me, these are the bee's knee's....

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-831342

Vendor Sponsor
    For snow and cold, I love my Schnees!

16" uppers and removable linings and not much more than a pair of redwings.

Schnees.com

Boolit Mold
    Ok, here's my dilemma with hunting boots. I have a narrow foot, (10B) and find it very difficult to find boots that fit. I have tired the "wear 2 pair of socks" remedy but that doesn't really help. I like the Redwing boots for work because they come in a narrow width, but haven't had much luck with a narrow width hunting boot. I've never had good luck stalking deer, so warm boots for sitting is a must for me.

Boolit Grand Master

While they are designed for hiking you can get Vasque boots in narrow widths. My foot is A width so no hunting boots fit me properly. I found that the insulated zip on boot covers are a god send for treestand hunting. On a really cold day I throw a hand warmer in each one and I have warm feet all day. Any insulated boot leads to my feet sweating and an uncomfortable day in the field. If you aren't going to be moving get a pair of the insulated covers.

Boolit Bub
    I've been using a pair of surplus Canadian Army Mk.III Goretex with an extra pair of wool socks. They are super comfy, waterproof, look ****** and can be found for under $100 on ebay.

Boolit Master
    I wear Danner boots daily, and have used the same two pair for 16 years. Each has been back to Danner for recrafting. Mine are the Acadia, which are $300 per pair now. At one time I had so many foot problems that I feared being cripple. Danner boots fixed my foot issues. I wear the boots with dress or casual clothes.

Boolit Mold
    Hunting in SC means snake boots, and I have a nice pair of Rocky's. For all else, LL Bean boots. Everyone in the lowcountry has used them for about 3 generations.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like you're from an area that gets some serious weather Lefty. I have walked in Irish Setters, Redwings, and who knows what else over the years. I am now very happy down to about twenty degrees above, with Meindl's six inch. Extreme support and as long as you're moving, warm enough. For posting in weather below this, I am yet to find anything that retains feet heat; I am resolved that I will always freeze.

Boolit Mold
    Since I am no longer hunting, was wondering where to post some still good hunting boots for sale.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Boolit Grand Master

When wearing boots for cold weather stay on the large size for heavy socks or 2 pairs of socks. To tight restricts circulation and helps feet to get cold easier. ANother help is a good pair of leggings or long johns to keep blood flow warmer to the feet.

Boolit Master

targeteer
    try Craigs List

Red Wing has sizes available as you would find with quality shoes. That said, you really have to get that credit card out and try some of the brands suggested above. Red Wing, Danner, etc. For fair to chilly weather, I have come to like Nike hi-tops. Light, comfortable, and stronger than you would expect in the woods.

Boolit Master
    I use goretex inner boots inside all my boots ( British army issue) they have a Velcro strap at the top just below knee hight even when I've been in water up to my thighs my feet and socks stayed dry .emptied my boots of water and carried on .wet feet are the worst for me if I'm dry I'm a happy chap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast