MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Boots

Boolit Master

Hunting Boots

I know its personal, but just was wanting a few ideas to start with.

I will be still hunting/ slow stalking this winter. Don't want too much insulation in them, but don't want to freeze either. Temps should range from 40's to 0 before wind chill.

I am a big guy, so I need support!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    my dad stole my boots but what they are the cabelas boot http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat104841180

might be a bit to warm but Cabelas puts out a good product for their footwear

EDIT where I used these was in Wisconsin near Dubuque IA

Boolit Master

If you're walking around you don't need much insulation. What I look for is support. I'm using a Rocky boot now (i helped a friend out, and got these as payment, although I don't help my friends for reward), and they are comfortable and light, as I also still hunt.

Moderator Emeritus

I found Rocky boots got real slick below freezing. It was something to so with sole rubber composition.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I like anything made by wolvorine or redwing.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...MMcat104797980

I like the kangroo skin boots very light weight and comfort, I about needing a new pair as I have about worn the soles flat from years of pheasant hunting.

Boolit Master

Looks like I am going to head over to Caelba's in St Louis this weekend!

There is an actual shoe store in Marion that has Redwings. Will head down there this afternoon to see what they have in a hiking/work boot.

Boolit Master

Yes they do, Mt Gianni. The sole "hardens up" and they are troublesome when going up or down hills, especially leaf covered ones. As i said, they were a gift, but are good boots when temperatures are above freezing.

Boolit Master

The Danner Pronghorns have always been highly rated in the bowhunting community, and are what I use. They are a very comfortable boot right out of the box and have served me well for years. (6'0" - 250 lbs)

Boolit Master

I have heard allot of good things about Danners.
    The work shoe/boot store I went to did not have allot to choice from that was lightweight. But they focus on workwear. But It was worth a shot.

Danners don't/won't fit my feet. WISH they did!

I went to a heavy Vasque mtn hiking boot. Have a bad right ankle, and didn't want to blow it out carrying a stand around the mtn. Been great so far. Almost opposite end of the spectrum, I I just got a pair of LL Bean Main hunting boots. They are soft, like a moccasin, but very comfortable to walk in the woods and quiet for still hunting.

Love Life
    Below freezing and the Micky Mouse boots and wools socks come out. Cold feet is for the birds.

Boolit Master

I've had a pair of Danners for around ten years been a very good pair of boots but they are close to their end not waterproof any more. I probably would not have bought them if they were not half price (returned they were marked 8 but fit my 10 1/2 feet) but now that I've had them I think they are worth it. I use to buy Rocky boots too but not since they shipped production and most of their jobs out of the country. FB

Boolit Master

Lowa makes outstanding boots. Just got a pair of the Tibet GTX to replace the pair I had for 15+ years. Lowa recommends you send them in every 6 years to be conditioned.

Boolit Buddy

Take a look at Zamberlan boots. I wouldnt trade anything for them.Spendy but worth it

Boolit Master
    For the temperature range you listed, I like the KamikŪ Icebreaker Boots that Cabel's sells. Just so happens that they are on sale for $49.99 right now! Good for walking, as well as, sitting in treestands.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kamik...amik&WTz_l=PPC

Winelover

Banned
    Danners are well made but I've had problems with fit. Seems my feet are just in between sizes for Danner's. Other than that highly personal problem, they seem to be excellent boots. A previous poster appears to have the same issue. The quality of Danner's is high and I know people that wear them daily, but I will not buy them again. It's a shame because they are well made but fit is critical.
    There's a lot good boots on the market these days. People have a Tremendous tendency to self-justify what they've purchased. One way to get better advice is to find people that don't have to pay for something BUT do have a choice in what they use. Police and Firefighters often get a clothing allotment to cover things like boots. Ask around and see what the locals use.

Good Luck !

Boolit Grand Master

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns and rarely wear them. They are to heavy and to wide for them to be comfortable. I have a narrow foot which makes finding boots that fit a real pain. I switched to North Face hiking boots well over a decade ago. They hold up extremely well. Because they are meant for pack weight they have a lot of support and grip. They are also very light compared to all the hunting boots. And for me they are narrower and fit my feet better. They do offer wide sizes so that's not a problem if you have wide feet.

I don't bother with insulation if I'm going to be in a stand. That's what insulated overboots are for. And with still hunting I wear good socks and possibly lightly insulated boots. Good socks are the key to keeping your feet warm and dry.

Boolit Buddy
    I went hunting this season in crocs! Granted its off my back porch but... keep an eye out on wideners, they have all kinds of deals on surplus boots, can get some great deals!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast