Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Savage 10 FCM Scout 7.62x39

Boolit Master
    I played with the Savage Scout in .308 today side by side with the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 and I'm amazed at how much heavier the Savage with plastic stock was than the Ruger.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never handled a Savage but the listed weight is less than the listed weight for the Ruger. Not sure how far off either one is though, not sure why it'd feel that much different. People think the laminate stocks on the Rugers are heavy but they are somewhere around 2 to 2.5 pounds, not real heavy at all IMO.

Boolit Master
    It may hav been balance instead if weight in actuality. But it sure felt heavier.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140109_073710.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	93707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140109_073722.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	93708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140109_073700.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	93709"Jwhite - where's your pictures - we want to see your Zastava and your friends too! "

Oh, I like that stock - pretty
    - how is it getting down to the irons?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Oh, I like that stock - pretty
    - how is it getting down to the irons?
    The iron sights lined up perfect for me, face on the stock and there they are, you don't need to mash your face at all. I could not be happier with it, i ordered a 2.5x compact leupold to go on it but am thinking about adapter a receiver sight to fit the back scope mount holes as well.

JW

Very nice rifle jwhite.
    I bought a CZ527 last week in 222 rem. Looked for a Zastava but Century arms didn’t show any 222 in stock. I like the Bavarian stock on the LUX and the 24 inch barrel too. Got it for $607 old stock price, which is about $70 under what they are listed for now. I never did see a price on the Zastava as Century Arms doesn’t list prices. I like the looks of the Zastava 7.62x39 Mannlicher.
    http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civili...m85-mannlicher

CZ is IMHO dropping the ball and loosing there 550 Mauser in favor of a push feed rifle. Zastava will very likely benefit from the loss of competition. There M70 in 30-06 is a very attractive rifle.

Boolit Master
    Any further developments on the RD 7.62x39 bullet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    Any further developments on the RD 7.62x39 bullet?
    Nothing yet, Savage still has my rifle.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Had the opportunity to do a bit more work on a 7.62x39 bullet. The Savage Scout is not back but for all purposes it is out of the picture more than likely. That leaves me with the Rossi R762 and still not sure what I'm going to do from here as far as another rifle goes, this might be it as it is serving my purposes rather well. Here is my Rossi...

Honestly, and it is my opinion, I don't think the 7.62x39 is a good candidate for a cast bullet. There is a huge amount of freebore & leade (throat) cut into the chamber and this must be filled for a good fit and support at combustion. This area causes a big chunk of lead to be forward of the case neck but this effects bullet balance as there is not much case neck to counterbalance the effort it took to fill the throat. There are a couple of reasons why this cartridge has the huge throat that it does and I think it stems to what in part has made this cartridge known for being able operate in extreme conditions. I'm sure you could dip a cartridge in mud, let it dry and the cartridge would chamber and fire. That would be one purpose for the freebore, no matter how dirty the chamber gets, you will have a functioning firearm that will defend you.

A couple of points of how I work with a new design:
    • Bullet weight never is a starting point. The chamber will dictate that.
    • I only consider gas checked designs. My interest is a bullet that will match jacketed bullet velocities and a plain base will not do that.
    • The bullet body must be contained within the case neck.

In the drawing that follows, I used a SAAMI spec chamber (my Rossi is extremely close to this). You will also notice that the brass at the cartridge neck does not match the crimp groove. That is because I used the cut my Lee Case Trimmer delivered, I figure that cut is as short as it will get.

With these points in mind, here is where I'm at right now; a .313" tumble lubed bullet with a tapered top band to fill the throat that weighs in at 130-grains with an alloy of wheel weights mixed with 2% tin with the Hornady 30 caliber gas check.

The bullet has a 72% meplat that I favor for terminal killing authority. I've run it through QuickLoad and I have no doubt I would spit this out the barrel of my R762 at 2500 FPS with H335.

Al at NOE called me just yesterday and wanted to know where I was at with this and I told him I didn't think it was going to work. I think a lot shooters will look at that top band and simply not like it but this is what it will take to fill the void in the 7.62x39 chamber.

I want to take another chamber cast of my Rossi and will ponder it some more. Next week, I will be gone on my final hunting trip of the winter and will then spend some more time with it. I'm also not sure that this will end up as a group buy on my part either, the buys I did this past year really wore on me.
    Michael

Ranchdog, I have just found this thread but vaguely remember reading recently of you looking at designing a Cast Projectile for this Calibre, probably across on the Rossi Forum. In my neck of the woods Jacketed Projectiles run at $1.00 - $1.50 each so I am very keen to get onto a 7.62x39 Mould. I need a Projectile designed to Hunt with so like the big Metplat.

Here's my single shot Baikal IZH18 7.62x39. I had the 11mm Dovetail machined off the Receiver and a Remington 700 LA Mount modified to fit. At the front it mounts where the rear sight used to be. It has a Weaver K series 4x28 Scout Scope. The triggers been tricked up and soon the barrel will be docked to 18" or so.

edited this post, been thinking ???? - I have tried 3 Cast Projectiles in this Rifle, a Lyman 195 gr, a Lee 185 gr and a 180 gr commercial Hardcast, all had a Bore riding nose, accuracy was not great but then again I made no attempt to work up loads. The faster I drive 150 gr Speer Hot Cores the tighter they group. This photo's a little deceptive but the Rifling meets the Chamber abruptly with no Leade or Throat. The end of the Case neck on Factory Rounds actually had impressions from the Rifling. Trimmed with a Lee Case Trimmer this feature disappeared

I have some thinking to do about Cast Projectiles and this Rifle. I am not sure if a Projectile as you have pictured above Ranchdog would Chamber in my Rifle.

regards Jacko
    Last edited by Jacko.357; 01-28-2014 at 03:10 AM.
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234