RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 FCM Scout 7.62x39

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry to read about your troubles with your Savage. Hopefully it was just a screwup that made it out the door, it sounds like they will make it right.

Regarding the Zastava, (mine is the Charles Daly version that had the rollover comb Monte Carlo and a beavertail forearm) the only thing I don't really like is the trigger assembly. It took a lot of adjusting to get it to have a decent trigger pull and to get the safety work every time. I may replace it when I do the stock.

I do like the smaller action for this cartridge over the Savage.

Robert

Boolit Master
    As a CZ 527 owner I think that magazine is fine. Any bigger or longer, or a heavier rifle then yes. But the 527 beats the Zastava hands down, and are line bored. Set triggers are amazing as well. If you want accuracy go with the CZ.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    .............I had considered the CZ but don't care for the extended magazine.................
    I have one 527 - a .223 walnut-stocked varmint model and the protruding magazine is behind the balance point with the heavier barrel, which is nice. I believe that as much as I love this rifle, the protruding mag in a shorter, lighter model would not deter me.

What would deter me is the fact that the magazines are detachable and neither of mine worked, band new. Being detachable (losable, damageable...) will make you want to buy some spares, which will make you want to buy some personal lubricant too. Some like the detachable mags, and I like certain aspects of them too but the cost and poor track record (in my limited experience) tips the scales against for me.

I really, really love my 527, but would take my chances on a Zastava on my next go. A 7.62x39 would be the choice. If I had a sack full of Zastava M85 actions, I would have wildcats on that case shooting .257", .264" and .358" bullets too. One thing to remember is that the Zastava has more of a Sako style extractor. They called them "Mini-Mausers" but the CZ is much closer to the Mauser than the Zastava is. That would not deter me either but the Mini-Mauser moniker is slightly misleading.

Vendor Sponsor

Ranch Dog: Where did you get the grips for the CZ82? That is the best looking set I have ever seen on one of those pistols and there just isn't a whole lot available for them in the aftermarket.

I have a Russian Makarov and the CZ is a far superior gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Ranch Dog: Where did you get the grips for the CZ82? That is the best looking set I have ever seen on one of those pistols and there just isn't a whole lot available for them in the aftermarket.
    Randy, here is the link to Designer Grips. I looks like he might be closed for health reasons.

For those interested... I like to conceal carry with kydex type holsters and they are tough to find for the CZ82. Fobus has a nice one but no kydex magazine pouches (I always CC with a double on my support side). I found CZ82 pouches at StrikeHardGear, they actually made me a double pouch. If I hadn't already had the Fobus holster, I would have bought theirs.
    Michael

Vendor Sponsor

Mike: thanks for the links etc.. Been looking at getting a CZ 82 from J&G Sales for along time. A friend got one from them and it is his concealed carry gun as well. Playing with his gun is where I got familiar with the pistol and as said earlier they are superior to Maks.

Thanks for the other links too. It is getting harder to find accessories for these guns. My Mak has a FAC extended barrel with a compensator on it which makes all the difference in the world to that gun. It could use better sights as they are almost invisible in anything but direct sunlight. Probably not that big a deal considering the distances you'd probably shoot at. Still it would be nice to have something to look at.

I need to get a mould for Mak boolits and set up the turret lathe to trim a bunch of 9MM brass. I've been saving 9mm brass for 10 years with the express purpose of making Makarov ammo.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    FYI 2.5 MOA is very generous. I expect MOA at least after some finish work. I have 2 45-70s tha give 1.5 MOA. Worse and the rifle is a clunker.

Boolit Master

Yes it is very generous but well below my expectation of what Savage is capable of. I expected 1.25 or less.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    I like to carry a iron sited rifle like a Win. 94 or 92, and single shots in one hand no sling..

While I have a CZ 527 in 7.62X39 and it is a joy to shoot I don't take it hunting because of that friggin' magazine..

There is a fellow in the states that will cut down the magazine and modify the mag. well so the mag. doesn't hang down so much..
    Found the link:
    http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-...onversion.html
    Roy is a member here and his screen name is rbertalotto..

If you are using a scope then I suppose the extend mag. doesn't hurt..

Except for the "where did I put it" question..
    Last edited by Nrut; 12-25-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Boolit Man

Looks like I should make another run of 7.62x39 Savage barrels shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by fireball168 View Post
    What spec do you make these barrels too? Are they like the Savage, or regular CIP dimensions?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you do, make some of them 20" tubes and maybe one or two 24" heavy barrel jobs!!!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
    What spec do you make these barrels too? Are they like the Savage, or regular CIP dimensions?
    I've done both .308" and .310" groove barrels, the reamers are virtually the same other than freebore diameter(.0005" over groove) .065" total freebore, 1 degree 30 minute throats. Not CIP.

Boolit Master

RE: M/V Glenn Edwards, what do you do with the dirt you dredge up? Does it go onto land or get taken into the gulf and dumped? Seems to me it might make good enrichment soil. Obviously, I know nothing about the matter.

RD

Well my interest is high in a 7.62x39 either Rossi or H &R. Cannot find either. Is this something discontinued or was yours a custom barrel?

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe RD's gun is a factory gun. Was looking into ordering one, luckily they were all out, from RD's report. Expected better quality from Savage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze133 View Post
    RD

Well my interest is high in a 7.62x39 either Rossi or H &R. Cannot find either. Is this something discontinued or was yours a custom barrel?
    My Rossi Single Shot is a production rifle, a R762MB, which is the wood stocked rifle. I want to say that production stopped on this model in 2005. The R762MBS followed it, this is a synthetic stocked rifle and it was produced up until about three years ago.

The best bet is to watch GunBroker for one. It is a great rifle cut to and barreled to the SAAMI spec.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I believe RD's gun is a factory gun. Was looking into ordering one, luckily they were all out, from RD's report. Expected better quality from Savage.
    I'm going to give Savage the benefit of the doubt and see what they do or say about the rifle. Just wait and see I guess. I do know that I'm not going to spend another dime on the rifle, either it gets right or it's gone. I've also cooled a bit on a bolt rifle replacement, as the Rossi Single Shot is a great shooting rifle and satisfying me.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball168 View Post
    YEP!!! and 6.5 Grendel!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a new Zastava mini Mauser in 7.62x39 and it is great, super nice wood with an oil finish and good, solid iron sights. I have an older Zastava that was imported by Charles Daly and this new one beats it hands down, we actually ordered three of these and my friend ended up with one that the wood is exhibition grade, almost too nice to use! Quality of these is a lot better than the ones imported by Remington a few years back as the 799. Getting ready to go try it out right now.
    JW

Jwhite - where's your pictures - we want to see your Zastava and your friends too!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."