RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Powder Measure for Pistols??

Boolit Master

Best Powder Measure for Pistols??

I have something of an unusual situation; most of my reloading equipment and guns are still in Maryland, while I live in Arizona full time. I brought a bit of equipment with me, and have accumulated more since I arrived. While I have at least six powder measures in Maryland, I only have one here in AZ - an RCBS Uniflow with the large (rifle) drum. Problem is, I load and shoot a lot of pistol ammo.

It appears that RCBS has stopped making the old style Uniflow powder measure and parts for same. They have 'new-and-improved' it into the 'Quick Change' powder measure. Parts are interchangeable, so I could buy the small/pistol QC drum (and whatever else is needed) to change my Uniflow over. I'm just wondering if that's the best way to go.

I'm looking at perhaps buying a dedicated pistol powder measure, and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm really NOT interested in having to buy and keep track of a bunch of rotors, so that pretty much eliminates the Little Dandy and similar measures.

Recommendations? Can the Lee Auto Disk be used as a stand-alone measure? Or does it need to be used with a powder-thru-expander die?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I used the lee dipper spoons for a long time
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master

I would buy the Lee Auto Disk and appropriate powder through expanders. With everything done on press it will be infinitely faster than using a measure. Mine drops to w/in .1 grain every time so it's spot on.

I hate most lee products and and a sworn and bonded RCBS man. I use RCBS for the same reason I drive a Chevy...dependable. I would spend the little extra to make the RCBS do what I needed it to do.

If a man does not want a Little Dandy, he should not have one. But I have one and like it a bunch for pistol reloading.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Little Dandy and bought the adjustable rotor from Bailey Boats. Even comes with the adjustment tool
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

MY simple RCBS pistol version will load from small pistol up to .223 size cases. I also drive a Chevrolet

I was using a 1966 Bonanza beam scale, just took too long.
    Switched to Lee dippers, a lot faster, and you can make custom ones for your needs
    I took a 1.0cc and filed it down to drop 7 grains, which is .2 grain from max.
    The next size down 6.5cc is the minimum charge for my load
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

My uniflow needed a part, none available. RCBS said send us your old uniflow and we will send you a NEW measure which they did.

Boolit Grand Master
    nicholst55,

It isn't cheap, but you asked for the best. Buy the Harrell Pistol Measure (see website below.) It isn't cheap, but it is the best... you'll never need another.

www.harrellsprec.com/

You won't be sorry.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Here's the best advice I can give. Go on our favorite auction site and get a vintage SAECO Powder Measure! No rotors to change out,VERY accurate,comes with it's own stand and good for rifle and pistol!

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manu...ecoMeasure.pdf
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I use the Hornady Lock N Load, it is excellent with WIN 231 and 296.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Many different people have successfully used several different brands and models of measures over the years. If what you are using has and is doing what you require then stick with it. For some the Lee dippers or even home-made ones do very well. Fixed cavity measures also can be accurate. I have used with success RCBS Uniflows over the years as well as Redding, Hornady and Lyman (55's). All of these are capable of reliable and close accuracy, but it is always advisable to keep close tabs on any measure with a reliable, accurate, and trustworthy scale that itself is always checked with a good set of check-weights. When dealing with powder, trust no one, nothing and be sure of what your equipment does...all the time. LLS

Boolit Master

Can't go worng there!!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys! I really like the concept of the adjustable rotor for the Little Dandy. Unfortunately, I'm too poor to afford a Harrell's measure. I already have a Lyman #55 and a Uniflow with the small drum - in Maryland. I see a coast-to-coast (almost) trip in my future, hauling all of my additional reloading gear here to AZ!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Vendor Sponsor

You know, there -is- such as thing as UPS, USPS, FEDEX, they would be glad to bring one of your powder measures to AZ!

Boolit Master

If cost is not important, consider the Quick-Measure. It is fast and works with any powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	85771

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	85772
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I've found my RCBS Uniflow to be as good with small charge pistol loads, as my Harrell's Precision BR measure is with rifle loads.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Buddy
    I dont think you could beat a Lyman 55

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys! I really like the concept of the adjustable rotor for the Little Dandy. Unfortunately, I'm too poor to afford a Harrell's measure. I already have a Lyman #55 and a Uniflow with the small drum - in Maryland. I see a coast-to-coast (almost) trip in my future, hauling all of my additional reloading gear here to AZ!
    I think I paid like 40 dollars for the adjustable rotor from the guy who goes by Bailey Boats...stainless, and comes with directions and the adjustment tool. Paid like 35 for the Little Dandy new, and took an old Redding powder measure stand and ground it down on a bench grinder so I could mount the Little Dandy on it. Works like a champ
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast