Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: COWW or SOWW for muzzy

Boolit Buddy

COWW or SOWW for muzzy

Alright I got my Lee mold to cast 300 grain .452 bullets for the .54 muzzy using MMP .452 sabots. I cast some up out of my stick on wheel weight lead and they cast at 308 grains and .453. I can scratch the bullets with my finger nail so I would guess that there fairly soft.

Question is would the soft SOWW be better to use for hunting deer and elk or would clip on wheel weight be better? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Perm-Banned
    if you use 100 grains of black or a sub that equals that no matter what you use it will do the job. dont do a lung shot they can take a while to go down. you can loose them in heavy cover or if it is just before sun down. on elk it is best to shoot them just above the withers in the middle of the beginning of the neck. they will drop like a rock. the deer the same if you can but i usually go for the heart. also if you break the front shoulder they go down, every thing is vital their. in my paper patch guns i use pure lead but my son inline with sabots uses a .45 hollow point copper clad pistol bullet. works great. have fun hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya I prefer right behind the front shoulder hitting lungs and heart and if I can get the angle breaking the off side shoulder. Lungs equal good blood trail. Anyway this has worked for me with elk, deer bear and antelope. Now with a center fire rifle a head shot is not out of the question on an animal within 50 yards. Neck shots leave a lot of room for error.

In Remembrance

The Lee 300 grain .45 caliber bullet has a substantial meplat and does not need to expand to harvest large game animals humanely. I often use wheel weight alloy to cast them for my M92 Rossi then dip into my stash for slugs to use in sabots with my CVA Wolf inline. At 1200 fps they go clean through North Florida deer at 75 yards. Pretty much DRT. Accuracy is better with gas checks on for me, but this may be different with other makes of sabots.

Perm-Banned
    saw a shooter on utube who couldnt get his new inline to shoot sabots so he put a small piece of tinfoil around the bearing surface of the .45 bullet. a tighter fit is all he needed. after that he cut center every time. and yes they go through deer easily. had one several years back that stood a little before she went down. when she turned sideways she had a coulpe of ribs sticking straight out. some times i pull right some when i shoot to 125 yards and that day i did. she took a few minutes but went down.