Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Product review/range report.

Product review/range report.

Gonna try my hand at giving a product review range report on my NEF rifled 12ga.

Little background history. I picked up the gun ft $50 from a friend who found it in the truck of a car he got of Craigslist for free. Ran the numbers with the cops and it hadn't been reported stolen. When I picked it up it was pretty rusty and beat up. The receiver was covered in rust. I wire brushed it and then sprayed on a coat of clear coat. No more rust yet. Luckily it was pitted. The barrel was way rusty but not pitted. Good Bristol brush and some marvels inside and it's looking like new. Outside. Wire brush and a coat of chrome paint to hold out till I can get time to try blueing it. (It's a truck gun so much of the paint is worn off already) the buttstock was broken so bein the cheap hat I am I just sawed it off and made it a pistol grip. Good it down to the gravel pit and dropped a 1.25oz magnum 3" slug in it and tried shooting it single handed to see if it went bang...that was a mistake. So back to store where I picked up a few boxes of the reduced recoil brenneke 2.75" slugs. For to where I could hit a coffee can pretty consistently from the hip at 25 yards so left it at that. Figured it would work if me and a bear had a disagreement at work.

Fast forward to today.

Ever since I bought the gun I have been lookin on the evil flea bay for a new buttstock but it crazy how much they go for. I usually give up at about $35-40 and they usually keep going until they end at about 70. Screw that. So about a week ago I'm glancing around at something or another and I see a add for the advanced technology collapsible stock for like 47 bucks with free shipping. What the heck. I'll give it a shot.

So here comes the review part.

Wen ordered the ads said May require minor fitting. This was a gross understatement.

Stock showed up in the mail today. I get home race to my mancave/gun room/welding and mechanic shop (Amanda calls it the front porch) get the 12 gas off the wall pull off the old last little bit of a stock and forearm and go to put the new plastic forearm on.

Issue #1. The forearm mounting hole was about 1/4" too far forward. Right then I honestly thought about sending it back but realized it would cost me almost as much as unpaid for it to send it back so I desided to try and see if I could get it to work.

So. I go and drag out my little weld mate 90amp welder, find a 1/8 diameter rod, scrape all the flux off and hook it up with the negative clamp on one end of the rod and the possitive on the other. Flip it on and I have a red hot glowing rod hot enough to melt through the plastic stock. So I take out a slice and then sit down with my sander and files and file everything to fit. Then the end piece I cut off, I drilled out and screw back to the end of the now 1/4" shorter forearm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382737990.283422.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	85336

Issue #2. The forearm screw is too short now. No big deal. Find a new bolt.

Issue #3. Go to put on the but stock and it's not even close to fitting right on the bottem part. One side had 1/8 inch too much plastic so it wouldn't fit on right, and the other side didn't have enough. So back to filing to get the one side to fit right and then did a little plastic welding to being up the other side.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382738289.150594.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	85337 (that's more gap then I like to see-it's gone now)

Issue #4. The dang bolt hole in the stock was too small for the bolt as the head on the factory bolt was two big to fit down the tube. So drill out the end and once more go looking for another bolt.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382738419.043003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	85338 (after I got done. Little happier with that)

So now finally get everything bolted on the gun and looking good.

So come the last two issues I had.

#1- for a supposed to be shotgun stock the comb is kinda high. The gun isn't drilled out for a scope mount so it's kind of a pain to get down to see the sights. Also the sliding part of the stock rides right on my cheekbone so when I set off a 3" mag it let me know it was there.

#2 the sliding part of the stock has a little lever you pull and has a little drop pit to drop into place where you want it. The pin holes are about 3/8 around so I'm good with that, but the holes are only about 3/16 of a inch deep and the drop pin was plastic...not gonna hold up to constant shooting, specially once it gets cold. So once more to the work bench. I took the stock all apart and drilled the drop hole for the place I will use the stock at The most all the way through, and then replaced the drop pin with a metal one. Much muh better. It locks up more solid and I can still move it to make it shorter for transport.

So all in all....I made it work. I don't really like the comb or the angle of the pistol grip but it's better then a sawed off stub. I wouldn't buy another one though.

Now...range report.

I have actually wanted one of these guns for quite awhile. I plan on doing some experiments with heavy special
    Made boolits with brass cases and the holy black (I'm
    Gonna write a post about that when time
    Comes )

Anyway. There isn't a public range within 100 miles and I lost access to the family's private range when they moved out of state last year. So down to the gravel pit I go with a sheet of plywood and a few boxes of factory slugs.

First shot was off hand with the 2.75" brenneke tactical home defense reduced recoil load. The box is claiming it's sending a 1oz rifled slug down the barrel at 1,378 fps. Anyway first shot offhand at 25 yards hit 2" to the right of the bullseye. Low recoil. I'm happy with this. Move te sight four clicks to the left. Fire again. This time two inches to the left of the bullseye. Ok. Two clicks back and put the next thee shots almost touching dead center. I'm happy with this.

Second load was some federal 3" power shock 1.25oz ammo I picked up at story's athority for a whole $2.17 a box. No limit so I bought them out at that price.

Federal is claiming 1600 fps for their 1.25oz rifled slug.

So after shooting te box of low recoil ammo I set off one of the 3" mags with the loose grip on the gun. This was a mistake. Busted
    Myself pretty good in the nose and this is I learned at the sliding part of the stock rides
    Hard on my cheek. Also did I mention the stock has no recoil pad?

Anyway. Shot hit 8" low at 25 yards. I put the sight all the way up and set off another one. This one hit about 2" low.

So I pace off 50 yards and fire the last three from the box offhand. Wind is blowing pretty good but I managed to keep all three I'm a pretty good group about 6" low.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382739658.484476.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	85340

So anyway. Sorry for such a long post. I know it doesn't have to do with cast boolits but I am planning on doing some
    Major experimenting with cast with this gun.

The NEF shoots better then I expected for factory rifled slugs and my unsteady hand with the wind te way it was. I'll
    Keep y'all posted about the expirimets to
    Come.

Banned

Spend some time in the Casting for Shotguns forum. Lot of good guys and ideas. Stock fitting/install looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Spend some time in the Casting for Shotguns forum. Lot of good guys and ideas. Stock fitting/install looks nice.
    I'm actually planning on reading everything I can on there before I start my project. My idea is to try loading conventional type cartridges with 3" brass huals and the heaviest boolit the twist rate will support. And of course, black powder since the 12ga barrel is kind of thin and low pressure built.

Also I'm sorry for all the spelling errors. My iphone likes to make me say the wrong things, and i didn't think to proof read before posting

Those Federal Slugs will wake you right the Fupk up won't they. I had to go to my Chiro twice to put one of my upper ribs back in place that got knocked out the back! that was from firing two of them.

I now have nice round ball loads that don't hurt at all.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Those Federal Slugs will wake you right the Fupk up won't they. I had to go to my Chiro twice to put one of my upper ribs back in place that got knocked out the back! that was from firing two of them.

I now have nice round ball loads that don't hurt at all.

Randy
    Yea they will. This gun is the light barreled model and with the feather weight stock is only about 3 pounds. Nice for packing...not so nice with a 3" mag slug and not using a good grip