Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: "Friends" can do things to you

Boolit Master

"Friends" can do things to you

Yesterday I went by a friends machine shop to check on him. (He is 70+ and has Parkinsons) and ,well, he brings out this 1917 S&W with 50-60% finish, he says go shoot it as he is going to a show this weekend to sell it..........Is $800 too much money?
    I shot it with some SWC cast and a handfull of 45 Auto Rim factorys loaded with FMJ SWC target bullets. It shoots too good to pass up. Sigh, another lefty holster is next on the list.........
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Them are sweet wheel guns. Congratulations. You going to tease us with a picture or two?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    Why you think he wanted you to shoot it, he he he probably has a holster for sale too. lol

Boolit Grand Master

IMO, yes, $800 for a 50-60% finish gun is too much. I wouldn't pay much above $400.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Maybe true Bill, depending upon area and no sentimental attachment.
    If I'm helping out a friend - it's not a market value deal.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

OK, it didn't seem clear to me that it was 'helping a friend'. I've done that before, and would do it again.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

We,ve done business before.....many times. I've sold him a few too. We both like S&W wheel guns. Not so much on the autoloaders.
    I sharpen him acme threading tools. He builds repair parts for machine tools,ie, other machine shops. We gunshow together a lot too. We are sharing some tables tomorrow.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Moderator Emeritus

two years ago, I bought a fairly nice one (90% blue, original grips, but grips have 4 notches files in them) at a gun show for $700. I thought it was too much, but you rarely see them anymore, so I bought it. ALSO, all S&W revolvers have gone up in the last two years. I'm thinking mine is now worth more than I paid...and the cheapest I've seen lately was over $700 and it was shootable, but the outside was in tough shape.

So, I think $800 for a 1917 in very good mechanical shape, with 50% bluing wear but no major dings or major scratches is in todays ball park. Original grips is a plus.
    that's my 2¢
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I agree Jon. and going up each day.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a friend that did the same thing a month or so back. Nothing as nice as a S&W wheel gun. Just a Springfeild XD that only had 50 rounds through it at a bargain price. And wouldn't you know it. I got a text from him last night about a Sig that his brother wants to sell at a bargain price. This one is new and unfired and he's asking half MSRP. I have no need for this one but I'm going to look at it today

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Maybe true Bill, depending upon area and no sentimental attachment.
    If I'm helping out a friend - it's not a market value deal.

LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Vendor Sponsor

Whats the chance he would have just waht you needed ....a left handed S&W 1917
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    the last sow I was at the gun in the pic would be in a glass case with $1400 on it. I have seen the Brazilian 17's start at $1100 and go up.

Boolit Master
    Louis the 1917's are great Son has a Colt with USA stamps and lanyard, was his wife's great grandfathers he carried when he was in the service. Don't think $800 would touch it much less buy it good find enjoy.
    Frank G.

I have several 1917's mostly in S&W, but couple Colts. These are not for sale, but your price seems fair for a great shooting and looking wheelie. I bought my first one for $35 in '59 and it was my first Smith. I love these old guys and shoot cast ACP with half moon clips and have lots of 45 auto rim brass. They fit and look right in my hand. I have two made in 1918 that are only separated by one serial number digit. Have found a pair of consecutive serial numbers in 80%+ original finish, but are more than I want to invest. Was working on a trade for a really nice varmint barrel AR 15. Buy it and enjoy--they continue to go up in value.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Cactus
    I have a LGS that just keeps finding firearms for me and I usually end up them. I have stayed away for a while and just know that the next time I stop by and silly me ask about a firearm he will have it or know where one is.
    Only good thing is that buying firearms keeps me from starting up another bad habit which was drinking and no I don't miss it that much only when I do I usually buy a firearm now figure that one out.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran