Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 long rifle spam cans

In Remembrance

22 long rifle spam cans

Well they are actually more like over grown tuna cans.

Sportsmans had federal 325 round sealed cans or 22 lr ammo today. Are the ammo makers now making 22 ammo designed for long term storage. The cans were pretty neat, but at 28 bucks for 325 rounds I passed on them. lol

This is the first I have seen of them.

Boolit Master
    I rank sportsmans guide right below cheaper than dirt as people I will do business with. Satan knows them both on a first name basis. SG screwed me years ago, and I'm still out to expose the "G"reedy"O"ne any chance I get. Some scouring on the I'net will usually kick the SG in the shorts. See my old posts if you care..............

To your question, ain't seen the cans. If they are pneumatically sealed they might be good for a few years. (Others on here can testify as to the longevity of unsealed ammo......
    $28 for 325 rounds? I would pass also. Just picked up a box of 525 for $22+tax a couple weeks ago. Just because I was there, just because I wanted to stuff another brick in the stash. No other reason. Just my opinion, YMMV
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

A buddy of mine told me he bought one of these at Cabella's today for $22. Unfortunately there was a one can limit.

He is a prepper. He says this will be the very last "brick" he opens - after SHTF.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I rank sportsmans guide right below cheaper than dirt as people I will do business with. Satan knows them both on a first name basis. SG screwed me years ago, and I'm still out to expose the "G"reedy"O"ne any chance I get. Some scouring on the I'net will usually kick the SG in the shorts. See my old posts if you care..............

To your question, ain't seen the cans. If they are pneumatically sealed they might be good for a few years. (Others on here can testify as to the longevity of unsealed ammo......
    $28 for 325 rounds? I would pass also. Just picked up a box of 525 for $22+tax a couple weeks ago. Just because I was there, just because I wanted to stuff another brick in the stash. No other reason. Just my opinion, YMMV
    I wouldn't know. I have never seen a sportsmans guide store at all.

The Can is sealed and also has a plastic coffee can type of lid to use after you open the pop a top lid. It says something about being sealed with nitrogen gas. I didn't read the whole thing.
    I am assuming that federal charges more than some other brands, as last week they had the 525 packs of rem, for either 25.99 or 26.99, I don't remember which, and their federal 500 packs were a little more.

Boolit Buddy

Expensive yes but I could see grabbing a can as your last resort ammo supply if something actually ever happened/happens.

I'v heard about these cans but personally I think it's a sells gimmick to bring a higher price. Keep 22LR ammo dry and it will last for many,many years without being sealed in a can. I live in Fl and we have high humidity I'v seen 22LR ammo that was kept in a desk draw for over 15 years and ever round went BANG! If it was kept in an ammo can I think it would out last most of us.

Boolit Buddy
    Fiochi has been doin this for a while. They were canned with the plastic lid but the packaging was more akin to peanuts or spam...pull the tab to peel off the metal then reseal with the plastic lid
    Domari Nolo

My .22 ammo is sealed in cans, .30 cal. USGI ammo cans! One for Winchesters, one for Federals, one for Remingtons, and one for CCI's. Sure glad I stuffed them as full as I did years ago when the bulk packs were common and cheap. Dump 'em in loose, and you can get a LOT of .22's in one!

GI ammo can and packet of dehumidifying crystals - with a good seal you got nothing to worry about.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I doubt the we are talking about sportsman guide. Probably sportsmanship warehouse.

In Remembrance
    I think it is funny, when you can't hardly get 22 ammo for the kids to shoot saturday, they want to package it for long term storage. lol

Boolit Master

I used to keep a brick (500 rounds) or two Remington or Federal promo loads in the storage area under the back seats of my pickup along with my jack, lug wrench, spotlight, and other tools that I considered a necessity. I found out after awhile that after you hit enough pot holes, speed bumps, and whatever, those paper boxes just don't stay together and you then end up with a LOT of loose rounds in the bottom of that storage area mixed with everything else. The white plastic take-out / deli containers seem to last a bit longer.

Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master
    I stand corrected. I never knew the existence of Sportsmans Warehouse, until a couple days ago. Googled them, and have added them to my list.
    I originally thought the OP was referring to Sportsmans Guide. Which comments I stand by. I wouldn't wee on a flat rock in the middle of the Sahara at noon to assist the weasels from Sportsmans GUIDE. On a hot day in July.

Again, apologies for any confusion. Sportsmans Warehouse is NOT the same low-life caliber as Sportsmans Guide.......................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Super Moderator

...........Heat is the number one killer of ammo, and by extension primers, and powder. I have a few bricks of 22RF dated 9-88 and they shoot just fine. Keep them in a place without great temp fluctuations and temps as much below 80º as possible and you should have few issues.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    $28 for 325 rounds isn't bad these days. It's roughly $4.30 per 50, about what cheap ammo is selling for these days.
    I bought a couple cans of Fiocchi canned ammo before the shortage, opened one. Darn good ammo.
    As a guy who spends a lot of time on and around the water, I can appreciate a sealed can, I just don't want poor quality ammo in a can.
    I'll wait until I can get Fiocchi or Mini Mags in a can.
    Here's some Mini Mags in a can you can back order.
    http://store.readyreservefoods.com/i...product_id=268

Boolit Buddy
    Or you could order from CTD and pay $119 for 325 rounds.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-0520
    Yikes!

Boolit Master

So from the first I can get 3 cans and still have a few bucks left or just get one from CTD yep real hard choice there.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

In Remembrance
    The same place sells 525 round bricks for 26, bucks. I don't think I will be paying more because these are in tuna cans.

Boolit Master

Yea but the tuna cans just might mess up someones head if you put them with the tuna cans in the cubbard.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Make your own spam can. Us military ammo can! I can never seem to have as many as I need.