RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 375 JDJ and cast

Boolit Buddy

375 JDJ and cast

Anybody hunt with their 375 jdj and cast boolits?

I have worked up a load for the contender with soft alloy, 50%WW / 50% lead with 2% tin added. These 250gr boolits are gas checked.

With IMR 4895 powder weights between 42.0-47.0 grains, velocity was between 1500 to 1760 fps. Best accuracy [ at 25m ] was a one hole, 3 shot group, with 43.0 gr @ 1530 fps. Above about 1500 fps, accuracy wains to unacceptable groups.......prolly because of the soft, expanding alloy I have chosen.

I was hoping for more velocity for flatter shooting to 100m, but the accurate velocity is what it is. Would a different powder.....like 2520 make much difference?

Anyway, what would you hunt with this accurate load?
    My quarry will be blacktail deer to 125m or so, possibly a 300lb plus black bear at close range.

Banned

a 250 gr boolit at 1500 fps is right about what I use in my 45 colt lever guns.
    the 375 would have a bit more umm penetration capability, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on either a deer or a black bear with the combination you have now.
    i'd even give it a go on an elk with an acceptable shot window within my comfort zone.