Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Alright - a quick "education" on what I need please . . .

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Alright - a quick "education" on what I need please . . .

I've been casting round ball and minie balls for 50 years and on those have always used pretty much pure lead - i.e. from scrap yard - sheathing from cable, lead pipe, plumber's lead, etc.

Now, I'm starting to reload for my 38 specials / 357 - casting my lead boolits - SWC and Round Nose. I've done some reading on here but the more I read, the more confused I am on what I need to cast my boolits. Chemistry was not my forte and I really don't have the time to mix alloys, etc. I had about 200 lbs of lead stockpiled - nice soft cable sheathing - and a guy I was trying to help out by giving him scrap iron decided to come back and steal my lead as well as all of my copper wire. So, I need to get something to cast with. I'd be more than happy to purchase it on here but I don't know what I should get. I just don't know what to get.

I don't shoot competition - primarily plink, killing cans, punch paper and dispatching an ugly woodchuck once in a while. I'm shooting everything from a 2" snub to a vintage 6" S & W Target Model M & P. I am not loading "hot" loads. So . . . what do I need? Pure lead . . . wheel weight lead . . . range lead . . . ????

I'm thinking that years ago . . . I'm talking many many years ago . . when folks had plier type reloading tools and cast their own and rolled their own . . they probably used what was available . . . primarily soft lead. So . . . I'm not casting rifle boolits . . . what will work best for my needs?

By the way . . . I've enjoyed this site very much and am amazed to find the different interests and aspects of the reloading hobby . . . lots of good information.

Thanks for advice and recommendations . . . greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Well for plinking and light handgun loads, a lot of folks seem to have success with 50/50 WW/Soft scrap lead. I find that it is easier to find soft scrap so that lets me stretch my WW supply. Of course 1/2 to 1% added tin will help casting, if you happen to have it.

You can usually add other alloys (babbit, lino, mono, etc) to this mix for a harder alloy if needed.
    Dusty

Boolit Master

I like 50/50 pure / clip-on wheel weights

If you can get it, battery straps and terminals are excellent.

If you can get it, reclaimed bullet cores are excellent.

Some people use pretty much pure lead scrap.
    It will make bullets but I find it very hard to cast.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

50/50 WW/lead is my go to pistol boolit alloy, works for just about all of it execpt the top pressure loads.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    Straight WW's or range scrap has been my standard pistol lead with up to 1% tin or sometimes none at all added to the pot. You'll know if the alloy's harmony is right by how well your boolits fill out. WW's and RS will handle even the higher pressure loads. For me the softer stuff is harder to come by.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Grand Master

If COWWs are hard to come by always be on the look out for more scrap lead (of the type you've collected before). Also watch for 60/40, 50/50 or 40/60 solder (Lead/tin). Mix it 20 parts lead to 1 part tin (in the solder) for a 20-1 alloy. That will be simple to mix and will do very, very nicely for your needs.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    You can purchase either COWWs or "range lead" or either or both in ingot form on our own Cast Boolits Swappin & Sellin Forum. Lots of GOOD folks to deal with and lots of GOOD bullet casting material.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you all - I have a problem I was "over thinking" this but your help is greatly appreciated! I now have a little guidance on what I need and I ordered 65# of range lead from a party on this site to give a try. If it works . . . well, if I can make it work . . .LOL . . . I'll shoot an order off for another 130# or so to have on hand which should last me a quite a spell. The scrap yard where I used to buy cable sheathing is no longer in business so I'm trying to make a connection with another scrap yard and a commercial plumber that I know to see if I can get some scrap lead from them. Manyu thanks again for the help!

Boolit Buddy
    The 38/357 and 45Colt bullets can be cast with almost pure lead and come out fine. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on tin unless you are not getting a bullet you are happy with. I cast with straight cable sheathing, sheeting, flashing, and pipe without any issues. The 22lr bullet runs about 1200fps and is almost pure lead, albeit swaged.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info especially about 22lr. I've collected a considerable pile of 'dropped' 22's through the years and always wondered if they were pure or not. Enjoy your site, lot's of good info for a fellow wanting to cast his own.

Its now your site too. Look forward to watching your habit grow.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Banned

22's come in at about 1.5% antimony