Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 4759 in 32-20?

4759 in 32-20?

The title says it all. Tryin' to find about 16000psi to 20,000 loads. Thanks, Ted

Any other loads (other powders) that might be all around for everything from Colt official police to new Marlins, please let me know. How are 300 MP, and Lil' Gun in mild loads (not too mild)?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy

My old Lyman handbook lists 8.6-11.0gr of 4759 for 1475 to 1575 fps with a 115 gr cast bullet. Doesn't give pressure.
    Not sure quite whether you are looking for a rifle or pistol load. Nor did you mention weight of bullet. Send me a PM including snail mail address and I'll copy data from two Lyman cast books and Ken Waters article. I shoot the 32-20 in a Remington Hepburn.
    I'm too old to do attachments or to want to learn how!

4759 is a pretty bulky powder developed for military use in 30-06 Frangible ammunition. In general it makes a very good cast bullet powder because of its faster burning rate and bulk.

I should think the bulk would work against you in a small case like 32-20. Powders like 4227 and 2400 of similar burning rate with less bulk would prove to be more valuable. That does not mean that 4759 could not be used, but it would be far from my first choice.

Early Lyman loadbooks make a clear distinction between 32-20 loads for handguns and for rifles. I have a Colt Army Special (this handgun was later renamed Official Police) in 32-20 (32 WCF) and I use mild loads of AA5 or Unique. Smith and Wesson also chambered their Military and Police sixguns for this round, but attention should be given to the date of manufacture as heat treated cylinder were used after about 1931 or so. These heat treated cylinders will take higher pressures.

If has been many years since I had a 32-20 rifle, but I used 4227 when I did. I do have several 25-20 rifles, which is nothing but the 32-20 necked down to 25 caliber. I use 4227 in these rifles with good results.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I'm sorry if I wasn't really clear, yes I'm looking for a relatively lively load that won't blow up my Colt, but which won't completely bore me to death from my Buckeye special or Marlin either. So, yes, both rifle and pistol. I've researched this until I'm comatose, but I was hoping to get responses from people who had actually used their loads (as the data is quite bewildering). I lean towards the concept that a slow powder that ignites reliably might not damage the boolits, yet might develop enough pressure safely to move the boolit some faster than Lyman's uninspiring velocities. I've decided to leave the Colt Police Positive Specials, and the S&W 1905 fourth change out this go around, so maybe a little oomph might be possible.

I'm leaning towards 300 MP, Lil' Gun, 4759, 1680, or maybe even Rel 7, or maybe 4227.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I assume you are talking about cast bullets so are you talking plain base or gas check and about what weight?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I've gone up to 11 grains of 4759 behind the Ideal 3118, NOE Keith 115 gr, and 311316 in my Winchester Low Wall, but i've never tried the loads in a revolver. There is a noticeable amount of unburned powder in the rifle, even with a heavy crimp on the boolit, so I figured it would be even worse in a revolver.