Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Unique in 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Unique in 45-70

I have alot of Unique sitting around so I figured I would load some of my recently cast 340g 45-70 boolits using it,i found some Unique load data in my Lyman 45th manual but not at that weight boolit. From what it did list I was thinking 13grn of Unique would be a ok load,this would just be for paper punching and not hunting. I would be shooting these out of a Marlin NON micro groove levergun,the boolits are 22-24bhn and gas checked. Anyone used that load before and have any comments on it,my ears are open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot.

If you don't get much response here, try over on Marlin Owner's Forum. IIRC, I have had anywhere from about 12-14/15 grns of Unique recommended. But not yet reloading for mine. Just got it.

Boolit Grand Master

Unique is my favorite plinking load in the 45/70. No filler required. It’s not position sensitive. A kid I used to reload for a reenactment club.

The load we used was 10 grains for the 457124 385 grain bullet. We used Unique for the 45 Colt also. I was into my 5th 8lbs keg when the club disbanded. Very mild and very accurate. I have tried lots of other powders for light 45/70 loads but I also come back to Unique.

Some 300 & 350 grain loads here http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Wish I could come up with some Unique. Down to my last 1lb jug and have not seen any available for over a year.

Mustang.

I've been using the Lee 340 in my Ballard rifled Marlin for a while with 12.0gr of Unique. Accuracy is great sized at .459" and recoil is very mild.

Try the reduced loads listed on gmdr.com. That's where I get a lot of my reduced load data.

Boolit Master
    I have used the load you mentioned in Browning and Ruger single shots.
    The pressure is pretty mild. I normally tipped the muzzle up to settle the powder before shooting.
    Beware though a double charge will fit. A strong singleshot might survive a double charge. A trapdoor would probably would not.
    EDG

Boolit Man
    I shoot 12 grns in my 1888 trap door, just about1100 fps.