MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30 Carbine Trim Size

Banned

.30 Carbine Trim Size

Any M1 guys out there do this regularly? If so what is your favorite trim to size. Do I need to do a chamber slug to find out mine?
    Russ
    Last edited by ncbearman; 10-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Trim to 1.280 max 1.290 - get a case gauge or load in batches and measure samples.
    I've used cast bullets as well as jacketed. Have not tried plated. You'll want to taper crimp.
    No leading for mine, BUT.... Some carbines do not like lead bullets and will lead up the gas system.
    I had a friends that did that out of about 30 rounds that were cast bullets.
    It was so bad that it took us several hours to clean the piston chamber.
    Most carbines like cast, but a few really hate them.
    IMR 4227 seems to be the most liked powder and if you adjust the tension of the front barrel band screw you can get some amazing accuracy out of a carbine.

http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CR/CarbineNotes.pdf
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    While a chamber cast would give you your exact trim to length, I just go with whatever the Lee gauge trims it to, no issues. Which is in point of fact right around 1.280. I also have shot both cast and jacketed; I like WC 820 as it is pulldown M1 carbine powder, similar to AA #9, perhaps a wee bit faster depending on lot.

Boolit Master
    I trim to 1.286". I check and trim as needed after each firing.

Boolit Buddy

I trim to whatever the Lee trimmer is built to and then check each time they're being reloaded to make sure they're still under the max.

Boolit Master

They do not need to match the chamber exactly.
    They must not be longer than the chamber.
    Shorter is fine.
    All the same length is the goal
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

The only gun that gives me fits with case length is the Ruger BlackHawk pistol. I made up a bunch of rounds and fired through several carbines with no problems. Then I tried to shoot some through the RBH and they were a no go. I bought the Lee trimmer and problem is solved. Now I'm loading up a SAECO 321 which is a plain based boolit, powder coated black, and sized to .309. They look and shoot great!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    One thing that hasn't been addressed why the uniform trim is so important. Carbine is best loaded with a taper crimp die as a final operation by itself. Just a lite crimp of .003-.004 will do. If all of the cases are trimmed to plus, or minus .001, then the crimp will be uniform with the crimp die remaining in the same position. The more uniform pressure generated by a lot of reloads generally adds to the accuracy of the batch of reloads. Carbine cases need to not only be trimmed every loading, but very uniform to keep reloads accurate. This for sure is not the only factor, but sure adds to a good reload. One other thing, the crimp uniformity seams to matter more than mixed lots of brass and variable case volumes, you would think it would be the other way around ??
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded and shot a bajillian 30 carbine cartridges through many M1 & M2 carbines both jacketed and cast, mostly cast. I made a max case gauge and gauge new/fired cases when I get them. I only trim those too long. I have never since gauged or trimmed the cases I load and shoot. Many have been shot multiple times with full power loads. They just do not increase in length.

Larry Gibson

Banned

Larry, what is your preferred case length?

Boolit Grand Master

Be late tonight before I can measure the gauge.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Don't know what your shooting yours in Larry. Mine fired in either of my old Winchesters end up long after just one firing ?? Oversize chambers?? Nothing unusual about the loading, 12 gr of 2400 under a lyman 311359BV with gas check ?? Long each shot, enough to trim after resizing. Don't think M2 makes any difference, chamber should be the same.
    Chris

I just started loading for this round. I have yet to find a case that needed trimming. They have all been short.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Mine need to be trimmed after 3 to 4 firings.

Its my understanding that its the resizing that lengthens the case.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Measured my gauge and it is the "Trim to Length" suggested by Lyman at 1.286. I measure the cases after sizing as that does lengthen them. Then after firing and before sizing if you measure again you'll find they do "shrink" a couple thou on firing due to the tapered case/chambers and the expansion back in web and main body area. So be sure to measure for max oal after sizing. I originally sized with a steel RCBS sizer, then went to a CH Sizer (it sized the "neck" straight which was better for the 311359) and finally to the Lee carbide sizer. Sorry but I find the 30 carbine just does not need trimming, same with 45 ACP, 9mm etc. Perhaps I'm just lucky.........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    The notes on reloading on the CMP site suggest trimming to minimum length, which is what I do just to be on the safe side.

I've used the X-Treme plated bullets with good results, get best accuracy with a bit lighter load than with ball. No problems shooting cast, though after a hundred rounds or so did have a bit of fouling built up on the piston.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
    One thing that hasn't been addressed why the uniform trim is so important. Carbine is best loaded with a taper crimp die as a final operation by itself. Just a lite crimp of .003-.004 will do. If all of the cases are trimmed to plus, or minus .001, then the crimp will be uniform with the crimp die remaining in the same position. The more uniform pressure generated by a lot of reloads generally adds to the accuracy of the batch of reloads. Carbine cases need to not only be trimmed every loading, but very uniform to keep reloads accurate. This for sure is not the only factor, but sure adds to a good reload. One other thing, the crimp uniformity seams to matter more than mixed lots of brass and variable case volumes, you would think it would be the other way around ??
    Chris
    The taper crimp has been recommended over the years for other than semi-auto weapons because the case length doesn't matter as much as it does with a roll crimp, where every case must be the same length in order to get the same crimp in each case. While exactly the same length cases will assure exactly the same degree of crimp, those cases which are a little shorter will still be sufficiently crimped. We should strive for the best accuracy we can get, but the .30 Carbine isn't exactly a NM weapon or round.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Grand Master

A roll crimp won't due in the carbine since it headspaces on the case mouth. I have one carbine that will shoot moa at 100 yards with the Sierra 110gr Hollowpoint.
    Both my carbines shoot cast very well, hard to tell them apart from the Garand on paper. WC820 works great along with 296.

Banned

Well since I have started this thread I have had some good results. I have probably shot 700 rounds since then. The recipe I have settled on is a 130gr MiHec 311410 GC over 11.5gr of 4227 1.600 OAL, NO CRIMP, just enough to take the bell out of the case from seating the boolit and chamber smoothly. I had some old WWII loads for the carbine and noticed they were not crimped so I gave it a try. As far as trimming, I have surmised that anything over 1.285 I trim. But once I do thats it. I got very little leading on the piston and what was there cleaned up easily. 3" circles at about 50 yards is what I am getting. Ringing the steel every shot. Here is a pic dancingbear put on the mould thread of the same mould I have and a pic of my Carbine.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rass-Cramer-HP

Attachment 87843

Attachment 87844

footnote;

I know 50 yards isn't very far, but it's on my property and I don't have to pay or travel to shoot.
    Russ
    Last edited by ncbearman; 11-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    snip
    I had some old WWII loads for the carbine and noticed they were not crimped so I gave it a try.

snip

Russ
    Russ, are you sure there is no crimp on that ammo? All carbine ammo, and any other cartridge which headspaces on the mouth of the case (most semi-auto pistol ammo), should be taper crimped. Taper crimp simply presses all around the case, pushing it against the projectile without changing the profile of the case or projectile. So if you were looking for a roll crimp it would look like it wasn't crimped. Two other taper crimped cartridges you should have seen lots of are the .45 ACP and 9x19mm.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member