Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Jesus Redeemed?

Moderator Emeritus

I'll ask when I get there and not be too concerned until then. We can spend far too much time in minutiae, IMO.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

This has been very interesting. I thank all who have participated. My thinking was this: At the time Christ was a very young child. Joseph & Mary were devout people who would have made every effort to keep the Law as witnessed by her bringing the birds for "her" sin offering & burnt sacrifice. So therefore they would have paid the price of redemption for her firstborn. Not saying I'm correct, that's just my line of thought & again thanks to all for yours.

Boolit Buddy

This isn't aimed at anyone. It's in response to what was written here and what is heard regularly everywhere. It's this idea of getting deep into the text of Scripture and theology, learning more about Christ as God revealed Him to us, as being a fool's errand and of little value. Yet as a shooter, hunter, bullet caster, aspiring home machinist and motorcycle rider I spend all kinds of time in the minutiae of those things. Those things will not make it with me past my death but by the grace of God the other will. What then is really important?

Boolit Master

Let me add another verse that may help. It is Exodus 13:15. It says to the effect that the first male animal was to be sacrificed and the first male child was the Lord's to redeem.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Luke 2:39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.

We find Joseph & Mary performed all things according to the law of the Lord.

Vs 22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; 23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord 24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.

There is much debate as to the offering of the birds for “her” purification that it also was for “His”. I've studied this in various commentaries. I've also studied the redeeming of the first born with silver coins still practiced by the Jewish community today.

So my question: Was Jesus redeemed either by sacrifice or offering, when or before His presentation to the Lord at the temple? Thanks guys..........Lynn
    He was not redeemed, He IS the Redeemer.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    He was not redeemed, He IS the Redeemer.
    Are we saying that Mary & Joseph didn't pay the price at the temple which was required for the first born? I agree He was & is Redeemer.

In Remembrance

They did pay the redemption price. To not do so would have been against God's law. He came to fulfill the law, not destroy it. This had more to do with the parent's obedience than redemption for the child. Children are a gift from God and we acknowledge that by redeeming the first fruit from the womb. All first fruits belong to the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    They did pay the redemption price. To not do so would have been against God's law. He came to fulfill the law, not destroy it. This had more to do with the parent's obedience than redemption for the child. Children are a gift from God and we acknowledge that by redeeming the first fruit from the womb. All first fruits belong to the Lord.
    After much study & soul searching I'm on the same page.

Boolit Master

So how did the sermon turn out? People preaching to folks about God has got to have and interesting ending....right?

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

The sermon went fine & in fact had nothing to do with the above subject as this only come about in my studies. The sermon was from Psalm 31: 1-8 which says:

1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
    2 Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
    3 For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
    4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.
    5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.
    6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the Lord.
    7 I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
    8 And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.

My sermon log shows I preached this at Cool Ridge FWB, 10-20-13 at the 11AM service which was Pastor's Day. The sermon was titled "The Books". Without going back through my notes I can't give details.

I used the same text that evening at 6PM preaching for the Terry Independent Christian Church. My log shows no title for that sermon. My attendance record notes only states: "I sang 2, had altar prayer & prayer for a young girl who wasn’t there, prayed for many who came forward."

Boolit Master
    Jesus' earthly parents were observant Jews. They would offer the redemption price, as that was part of Jewish law. That was an earthly ordinance, and is totally separate from being Redeemed, as I understand the term. You can't see redemption, only its results. He was baptized as an example of obedience to us, "...to fulfill all righteousness..." iirc, showing us the way.
    Jesus was raised in an orthodox Jewish household of the time, doubtless attended Jewish schools, (And, as he did, was reading the hundreds of years of prophecies about himself!) as his experiences later in life, in the temple, reasoning with the best minds of the time, and his knowledge of scriptural writings show. He probably had a Bar Mitzvah, or whatever it may have been called then.

BUT, and this is a big one; His Father would not leave Him alone in the world, to wake up one day, and say: "Hey, I am the Redeemer...what's that?"

The scriptures tell us that He grew, and increased in favor with God and man. My belief is that in addition to earthly schools, He was tutored by teachers from His Father, (Angels?) starting from his earliest years, a bit at a time, until finally the entire glorious plan of who He was and what He had come to do, was clearly understood and accepted.
    Last edited by sniper; 01-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12