Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder's PC Tumbler Method

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Rangefinder,

Thanks for posting this... I am gunna try this as i have a spare tumbler.... And my wife would look so cute with her pink 9mm loaded with hot pink boolits....... They would go well, with her hot pink bow, hot pink arrows, and plus it would be cool to be able to actually find some of her boolits and see how the pink coating holds up..... I was thinking about using this stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Pink-Po...item35cc798ebd

Think this would work??

Ag
    Not just for your wife. Real men shoot pink boolits too.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My wife has already claimed the red candy coated ones for her .38 snubby.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by strahd_zarovich View Post
    Well just got my sizer and the PC came off the drive bands. I guess I need to turn the heat up some. HFPC was bakes for 20 minutes at 400 in a toaster.
    Turned the heat up to 425 and let the toaster preheat for 10 minutes. I also added a thicker coat and I think I have it now. I will post pictures later for everyone's thoughts.

Boolit Bub
    Second try using HFPC Matte Black. These have been sized too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks RF for getting me started, never would have bought a sprayer so the tumbler method got me into PCing. HOWEVER...
    tried several batches of dry tumbling (think Freightman brought it up), simple, smooth results, amount of powder not critical, and quick.
    I have to pick up each boolit by the nose from the tumbler can with some long hemostats, pliers or tweezers would work, don't see those marks after baking.
    Not sure if it's static or what makes the powder stick to the boolits but seems to be just the right thickness. Tumble 10 min or less, bake 10 min at 400. I'm using HF red.
    With nonstick foil even the bases are coated if that's important, they peel right off the foil.

Anyway thanks again, you can kick me outta the solvent club now!

Hi Squib,
    Have you tried just dumping the powder coated boolits onto a hardware mesh tray? It'd save you the time of individually picking up the boolits and, you don't need the foil either. Just dump the boolits from the tumbler onto the tray, gently shake to knock off excess powder, then stick the tray right into the oven. Any blemishes are very minor. If you shake the tray immediately after taking it out of the oven, the still hot boolits will easily shake free from the grid.

Agree with you on leaving the solvent club! No more acetone!!!!

Happy tumbling!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Hi Squib,
    Have you tried just dumping the powder coated boolits onto a hardware mesh tray? It'd save you the time of individually picking up the boolits and, you don't need the foil either. Just dump the boolits from the tumbler onto the tray, gently shake to knock off excess powder, then stick the tray right into the oven. Any blemishes are very minor. If you shake the tray immediately after taking it out of the oven, the still hot boolits will easily shake free from the grid.

Agree with you on leaving the solvent club! No more acetone!!!!

Happy tumbling!
    yes this works very well, except with the harbor freight flat black

Boolit Master
    When I tried setting them on window screen I was still using solvent, they were
    a little runny, I probly used too much acetone. Left a crosshatch pattern
    on the bases. Might try screen again with dry tumble.
    Maybe a larger mesh would do better?

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    When I tried setting them on window screen I was still using solvent, they were
    a little runny, I probly used too much acetone. Left a crosshatch pattern
    on the bases. Might try screen again with dry tumble.
    Maybe a larger mesh would do better?
    Yeah, screen is too small. Mesh only has a few points of contact AND allows excess powder to VERY easily be shaken free.

Boolit Master

Pics

I think I promised pics, these are not great but whaddaya want from a cell phone:

40 cast, PCd, sized.

44, 40, 9 (for 357), and 9 (for 380).

I'm gonna try it on all my molds.
    Might have to get more molds.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice looking, Squibload. You're all set!

Might have to get more molds.
    Might? That's how the game is played!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Guys, I'm just tickled at how everyone seems to be finding their own niche that is giving such great results. None of us can ever say this isn't an adventure...
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

I've been loading up that same .40SW load but mine don't look at pretty...

It sure doesn't stop them from punching holes in the paper though!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn't resist and i tried this method. HF only had Black and Yellow PC paint on the shelf. it is on sale for $4 and everyone bought the red. The Yellow and black needed 2-3 coats to "fully" cover bullet. and it 3rd coat made the bullets to big for sizer so i had to give them a little lube to get them to go through sizer. 1 coat was blotchy, 2nd coat was a little better and would probably work, but not pretty. flat black ends up being kinda course on the outside. i tried my tumbler but the bullets would not coat. all the powder went to one small area in the tumbler and the bullets just danced around the whole bowl. never coated well, so i did it in a peanut Butter jar. worked better. used 1 TSP PC for 100 9mm boolits. still had some powder left in the jar after 4-5 minutes of hand tumbling. shot some yesterday and they all shoot fine. What am i doing wrong. BTW i baked at 400 degrees for 20 min in my toaster oven and laser temp gauge showed 401 degrees on the boolits in the oven.

Boolit Master

The black isn't known to work with dry tumble but works great with the wet tumble. The white and yellow seem to give mixed results. I prefer the red for tumbling dry as it sticks fairly well and when I do use the spray gun the red works fine for that as well.

Boolit Master
    MaxBob, looks good, long as they shoot that's what counts, anyway it's hard to see 'em when they're flyin'!

Bigred: " ...they all shoot fine. What am i doing wrong." Nothin'!

I suspect there might be humidity in FL, might warm your boolits before powdering.
    Not like I'm an expert but it's dry here & the powder doesn't clump together.
    Try baking 10 min, seems to be enough.
    Last edited by a.squibload; 01-29-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: keyboard error

Boolit Master

I don't preheat my oven and I bake mine and set the timer for 12ish minutes.

Boolit Master
    That sounds good. I checked the temp with my lead thermometer
    & left the dial setting there, door switch turns it on & off.
    Bought 2 more pounds at HF Thursday, still $3.99 ea.

Boolit Bub

anyone tried using the airsoft plastic pellets when dry tumbling to create a static charge...only done it once so far and tumbled for about 4 minutes, result was sort of blotchily paint finish out of the oven,did them a 2nd time and thing's got better......am discovering that this is sort of like the old guy that walk's into the package store...look's around and say's to the owner.. "SO MANY CHOICES, SO LITTLE LIVER "

Well boys, Beagle turned me onto the dry-tumble with the airsoft pellets a while back, and I gotta say---it's just a peach! This stuff just keeps getting better all the time. So, I guess, contrary to the thread, I ain't using the solvent method anymore these days. Good to know it works, but the dry tumble is MUCH better.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast