Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which knife?

I've been using the Kershaw blade trader for the last 2 or 3 years, but this year year I used the Wyoming Knife and a Knapp Sport Saw on 2 deer.
    Seemed to be much faster.
    I really like it and I sharpened the blade with my Lansky.

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    +1 Havalon. Piranta and Barracuta
    I finally broke down and bought a havalon. Once I got past the realization that I could use this scalpel without fear of dulling or breaking it I find that I use it all the time. Ding the blade? Who cares, I have 120 more available. I use it for everything now. Abuse it, cut whatever I want, replace it. Thought after 3 months I'm still on the first blade. There's a couple dull spots and I plan on using it some more.

I already ran it through the dish washer once too.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green River 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	116905
    My favorite hunting (and kitchen) knives started out as Green River blades and handle blanks or kits, all from Track of the Wolf. Excellent steel, and the handles are getting better.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Buck Selector, never do anything to it but strop it on leather, bought it in 1990 , have no idea how many gut and skin sessions that knife has been through over the years , excellent knife, a folder with about a 4 inch blade with a secondary serrated or interchangeable blunt gut blade.
    Last edited by butch2570; 11-15-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    For alot of years I carried a Schrade Sharpfinger (old made in USA version) and enjoyed it. But when I started saving hides I found that the little pokes and prods here and there in the hide wasn't conducive to a good tanned hide afterwards. A couple of years ago I picked up a Condor Hivernant and have never looked back. For me it is the perfect skinning and butchering blade. I haven't needed, nor do I really want anything else. Blade shape is perfect, thickness is perfect, and it will hold an edge through the whole job.

Name:	6050752_725x0.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	121969
    Picture grabbed directly from Condor's site. It ain't mine, it's theirs. etc etc.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

In my hands the Helle Fjellkniven is perfect. Holds its edge well and is the only knife I can sharpen to a razors edge (and I can't sharpen for sh*t). It is pricey but worth it to me! http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/HE4...Leather-Sheath

Boolit Mold
    Think I am the only person who like the old cheap knives that I find at antique shops? LOL Imperial, Utica, etc. I have so much more success getting a decent edge on those than I do modern stainless knives. Just my experience though.
    I've got a Colonial USN Mk.I Knife that I get sharp as well, I've been impressed with that one as well.
    Mark
    Last edited by TomcatPC; 11-17-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    USN 1989-1993, VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, SoCal.

Boolit Mold
    I can't abide a blade that won't hold an edge.
    This one does. Custom made for me by Eric Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1416281445826.jpg  

Boolit Master

I just use one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-Timer-...er+sharpfinger
    Never needed anythjng else, gut, skin and even quarter with it. Got sloppy with my old one and snapped the tip off so had to search for another. Too bad they had company issues but the new one seems just as good but I am not sure if its a US made one or not. I think US because it was hard to find back then.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Like the man said, it doesn't take much to field dress a deer. One of my paternal uncles, Floyd was an avid and very successful hunter. Every deer he shot was field dressed with his jack knife. I bought myself a Mora Swedish Army surplus knife a few years ago for around $15. The blade is maybe 4". A great little knife. I will never need to buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I just use one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-Timer-...er+sharpfinger
    Never needed anythjng else, gut, skin and even quarter with it. Got sloppy with my old one and snapped the tip off so had to search for another. Too bad they had company issues but the new one seems just as good but I am not sure if its a US made one or not. I think US because it was hard to find back then.
    Sad to say. The Schrade line including Old Timers are now made in China. They are also junk. Have a MIC pocket knife here I purchased without noticing that. Only had made in China in very small print on the box. No origin marks on the knife. I've owned real Old Timers and this thing isn't one. Case knives are made in USA. Family sold company to Zippo so they'd keep them here at home. I think they are better than they used to be. We just have better steel now if a company uses it. I like the Trapper and Sod Buster lines in full size and compact.

Banned

I carry a variety of knives my favorite is my randall but its almost to nice to take in the woods. I have a tendency to loose knives. I usually have a bark river, rapid river of some kind on me. that said a good old folding buck is hard to beat. there strong enough to split a pelvis and if you screw up and break the tip toss it and buy another as there fairly cheap.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-27-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I happen to live in a town where there is a store specializing in handmade knives and I know several top notch knifesmiths. I like a small Damascus blade of my own design, the Rackensack Squirrel Hunter.

I find modern knives of stainless steel just won't take and hold an edge like carbon or Damascus steel.

Boolit Master
    If I had the extra cash and was buying a new deer skinnin knife? The condor hivernant. I wish it was just HC instead of HC Stainless, but they are great GREAT knives.

For the budget minded you cannot go wrong with an old hickory skinner, or an old hickory 7" butcher. You will have to make your own sheath out of scrap leather. But for $10-$15 knives the will take and hold an edge like nobodies business.

My 2 cents.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

A buck 110 for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post

Name:	Green River 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	116905
    My favorite hunting (and kitchen) knives started out as Green River blades and handle blanks or kits, all from Track of the Wolf. Excellent steel, and the handles are getting better.
    Looks good. I just completed this Skinner with some Oak and brass pins And used Boiled Linseed Oil on the wood.

And of course a Sheath for it. And the first anything made of Leather I have done lol.

If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

This one Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	153142

It is an old Remington Hammersmith butcher knife that I shortened, removed the butcher knife blade profile and designed my own drop point.

If not this then it would be an Opinel high carbon.

Boolit Master

Here are the knives from post #19 The Buck blade is actually 3 inches while the Cutco is 4 inches.
    Attachment 153458

Boolit Master

A Gerber Gator with a gut hook. I bought two of these knives at Walmart over 20 years ago.
    I have no idea of what steel the Chinese have used in the blade but it has held an edge without sharpening since new. Between the Mule deer I have shot, the mule deer my sons and their friends have shot, and the guys I have taken hunting and shown them to dress out a deer, I have used it to dress out over 80 deer.
    It still holds an incredible edge and I have yet to sharpen it.
    I have a Green river kit knife from 35 years ago that is good, and a Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger. Both need a slide over a diamond steel at least once while field dressing a deer.
    The other knife I carry and use while hunting and camping is a Mora - An inexpensive ugly knife that holds an edge really well but the old ones have a small handle that gets slippery really quickly.

I purchased two of the Gerber Gators at the time and gave one to a friend who used it for hunting for a year, then tossed it into his work toolbox and lost the sheath. Some folks simply do not appreciate a quality knife.
    When you do find a good knife that holds an edge and you like, never ever abuse it by using it to pry, remove screws, or core cabbage.

BTW: I will not use a folding lock blade - great until the lock wears and the thing closes on your fingers.

A good knife is a treasure, and worth taking care of
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Perma-Banned
    I have a drawer in my hunting/reloading room completely full of knives from folders to fixed blades, mostly buck knives. Out of everything I own I prefer a buck 112 folder for everything from Moose to mice! It carries in my pocket easy, built like a tank, and is easy to get hair popping sharp. I hunt whitetail deer and elk, (have done a few moose as well) my buck 112 has never let me down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast