Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good rifle cals for cast. ease, and cost a plus

Boolit Buddy

good rifle cals for cast. ease, and cost a plus

OK here is the deal... at this time I don't hunt. But in the future I might, or if not I'm looking for getting a rifle to mess around with, load for, and get experience with in case I need to. I like old wood and steel...cost is a issue, so no wiz bang AR clone, and no top of the big money hunting rifle. I'm looking for a round that's fairly easy to load, tools, and components easy to find, and cast boolet friendly. Right off the rip I'm thinking 30-06, or 30-30 but I'm mostly a pistol guy, so don't have much experience with long guns. Thoughts, ideas, advice??

Boolit Grand Master
    30-30 or 45-70, both just scream to be shot with cast. Both will give good accuracy with the same velocities you can get with jacketed.
    Good selection of moulds for both, multiple powders work in both, easy to load, rifles are abundant. Data is there for multiple velocity windows, many, many decades of use means that about all that needs to be known is known.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If already a pistol shooter, consider a rifle or carbine in a handgun caliber you already use, such as .357 Magnum.

If you were to buy one rifle for casual shooting which would also make a serious hunting rifle, you cannot go wrong with a good .30-'06 boltgun. I see that you are in upstate NY. You might check around and check the used racks at gun shops to see which calibers are the most popular among deer hunters. I'll bet that both .30-'06 and .30-30 are in the top five popular calibers.

Boolit Buddy
    30-06 is king in the area. Seems everyone uses it. I'll have to look into 45-70. Never seen one before.

I've tossed around getting a 357 lever. How effective is a rifle chambers in that for hunting?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by s1120 View Post
    ....I've tossed around getting a 357 lever. How effective is a rifle chambers in that for hunting?
    The .357 is a great varmint caliber and is OK for smaller deer at short range, not to exceed about 50 yards, however, in upper NY state you get big bucks, and most would consider the .357 marginal, even in a rifle. The .45-70 is a great big game gun, but also gobbles up powder and lead at a great rate.

If you already have either a .45 Colt or .44 Magnum revolver, consider a lever rifle in one of those calibers, as with proper flat-nosed 260-grain+ bullets at rifle velocities over 1300 fps you have a proven big game load with cast which you can also use in your sturdy handgun. My preference leans towards the .44 Magnum because there is a better variety of good factory hunting ammo in that caliber, and brass and bullets are more plentiful in most places. Hunting ammo for .45 Colt is mostly a handloading proposition because factory loads are kept down in deference to the many older guns out there. But if you have a New Model Ruger .45 and a Marlin lever rifle of that caliber, with proper handloads you give up little to either the .44 Magnum or .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Winchester M94, rifle or carbine, in 30-30. The AE model can readily be scoped. Or an older M70, the post '64 is fine with push feed, in .308W. Both have 12" twists and are very cast bullet friendly. As mentioned the '06 isn't a bad coice either.

Larry Gibson

Banned

the 30-30 would be dang hard to beat.
    if you need more then the 358 win.
    more than that the 45-70.
    all fling cast at/near jaxketed velocity's with a little work.
    and can go the other direction easy nuff too.

You can't go wrong with a straight wall case like 357 mag,44 mag, 45 colt, 45-70. All are easy to load and components are readily available. Cases seem to last forever. They can all be loaded up or down to suit your needs. 375 Winchester and 444 Marlin are not as readily available but would work well also. In a bottle neck case my favorite is the venerable 30-30. It has been around for well over a hundred years and has proven itself worthy. There is a wealth of information available.

I have always been a fan of single shot rifles for their simplicity, lighter weight and normally shorter length. I have 2 Contender frames with barrels in 22 K hornet, 17 Remington, 30-30, and 44 mag. I have owned barrels in at least a dozen other standard and wild cat calibers. Extra barrels are readily available and can be changed in about a minute. I am also a fan of the NEF / H & R platform. They are inexpensive, and used guns can be found for $200 or less. Barrels can also be changed with usually only minor fitting. Check out Gray Beards forums for a wealth of information on these guns. Pictured below are my 2.

On top is my Survivor model in 357 with a 6X scope. This is the most used gun I own and we never go to the range with out it. I cast and shoot wadcutters, RNFP's SWC's of various weights 158 grain HP's and RN bullets up to 200 grains. Mild to wild it's a blast to shoot and cheaper than a 22 anymore. On the bottom is my UltraHunter model in 45-70 which now wears a 2-7 shotgun scope. I can cast and load everything from 200 grain RN plinkers on up and even round ball and shot loads. You can't get any more versatile than that. Dale
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Love Life
    I'd get an 8mm Mauser, but them aren't really cheap anymore either.

Boolit Master
    Any of the common .30s (.30-30, .308, or .30-06) would be a good way to go. You might luck across a .35 Rem or .358 Winchester and both of those are great cast rounds. You are getting into some recoil with a .45-70, but in a heavier rifle they are lots of fun--like hand held artillery.
    Rule 303

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    Looking at your previous posts, I see you are a .38/long 38 wheel gun man. And some casting equipment for same.

To hold costs down, I would opt for a lever action is .38/.357. Thus combining what you have with a start into long gun lead shooting.

Look at all options in weapons before buying or looking/hands on type. The buyer is better off to know what he/she wants and doesn't want up front.

This doesn't exclude becoming well versed in other weapons systems as well. And this is better in the long run as well. May very well want to expand into other realms.

Lead likes slow velocities (compared to pushing 3500 FPS) and slower velocities do very well with big/bigger bullets that go hand in hand with more weight. With more understanding and experience velocities on par with jacketed bullets are very reachable. In the 1890s, those 'new' small bore rifles started becoming 'the thing' to have. Those were 30 and 32 caliber bore weapons. Today .224 bore rifles are the 'it' to many. Yes they can shoot lead well but I prefer more lead.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Banned

I like the .308. Smaller case is easier to fill, but it can still reach out if necessary. A single shot or bolt action would be nice.

Boolit Master
    30/30 is, of course, ideal for cast boolits but I see sales on 30/06 bolts with scopes all the time in the newspaper at what I think are reasonable price for new rifles. The venerable 30/06 shoots just fine with cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    You don't hunt at the present time, just wanting to get some experience with rifles right? At least that is the way I read it.

I see you as mainly punching holes in paper, with the occasional tin can that needs ventilated.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? If you want to shoot itty bitty groups, a bolt action will likely be easiest; which means a good used .308 or .30-06. If you will be satisfied with slightly larger groups as you learn, there is absolutely nothing wrong with either a Marlin or Winchester lever action in .30-30.

The advantage of the .30 caliber rounds is that there are a lot of molds available from the .310" round ball through the .32 pistol molds on up to ~220 grains.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

30-30
    Depending on where you live the racks are full of used ones at a good price. One shop I was just in up in Northern NH had a dozen used ones. Loaded right you can take moose with them.

A 45 Colt lever is hard to beat also
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'd get an 8mm Mauser, but them aren't really cheap anymore either.
    Widener's has the M-48 Yugo Mauser listed for $269. Not bad for a real wood and steel rifle, even when you add shipping and possibly a fee for your dealer to receive it for you if you don't have your C&R FFL.

Or you can cut that number in half and get a Mosin Nagant. Yeah, it's ugly as a home-made booger, but they're fun to shoot.

dale in Louisiana

If you're looking for a all around, defense/ plinking/hunting rifle that will serve you and yours for many years, look no further than the CMP and a m1 Garand. All a man really needs. If cheap and easy are th desired solution, a used savage 340 in 30-30 fits the bill. If you want more capacity and brand new, Springfield m1a. Personally, an AR in 300blk is a cast boolit dream and is a 200yd capable rifle in a 7lb, 30rd capacity package. I have the savage, garand and AR. The savage shot best with least work and was cheapest.

Just load an easy and non-controversial caliber/rifle combo like the 6.5x55 in a '96. he he......
    Nah, I would second the straight-walled pistol caliber myself.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

1) .30-30
    2) .38-55
    3) .32-20 ( less lead, less powder )
    4) .32 Winchester ( Economical. There are thousands of them floating around the gun shows - Winchester M-94)
    5) Any other .30 caliber because you likely already have it.

General rule for newbies: The larger the bullet, the easier it is to cast.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

30/30 or 30/06, will do most anything you want! my2cents

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona