Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: bug out vehicles?

Boolit Grand Master

I am to old to bug out! Hopefully have enough provisions, ammo, and common sense, and woods wisdom to carry me and mine thru what ever happens.
    Live high on hill, so not worried about flooding, have fireplace if necessary, have at least 3-4 months food supply, have basement. Only thing I don't have is protection from tornados other than basement. So if a tornado hits, will just hunker in the basement and pray!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    A horse, or a mule, whatever your preference.
    Horse tastes better.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

In the event a bugout is required....

I hope everybody does leave and head for the hills.... and whether or not they make it matters not to me... 'just that they try! ... the Swamp will then be all Mine!!!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Marauder, FTW!

(I'm a bug-in-er. There's a small BOB for natural disaster type events, but the only place I know I'd be welcome to bug-out in a SHTF situation is 1300 miles away. I don't see that happening. But a Marauder sure would be fun.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Do not decry lawyers.....they are a great distraction...
    and make good shields...!!!
    ^^^^^ My new sig line!
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Come forth with Christian love. You will be met with Christian love.
    I knew, I knew it! We just had to wait. I knew Gabby had it in him. It just took a little rant here and there to get around to it. This is the attitude we should all have. Seriously. We will want to help but not at the expense of our own families needs. Be prepared to bring something to contribute/trade etc. Family first then go out from there if we can. And some may not be able to. It will be all they can do to take care of their own.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Brigham Young said that it is cheaper to feed the Indians than to fight them.

Banned

the Indians said don't mess with those crazy white men, and left them alone after a Rowell or two.

Boolit Man
    IF people need to bug out there are HUGE swaths of BLM land that would be prime for refugee camps. There are also state and national forests and reserves that would be perfect for disappearing into. Yellowstone, yosemite, etc, are not small. The whole idea of bugging out is to get the hell away from people because people tend to be crazy when they become desperate. So moving into a farming community isn't exactly the plan. Finding a place that is difficult to get to, and even harder to SEE, is a great way to go.

Bugging out would be an absolute last resort, and by then the only mode of transportation available will be your feet. The only way I'd be going to someplace with people is if I knew the people who were there and had communication with them during the trip to make sure they were still there, and secure, and they were willing to take me in. Otherwise it would be find a secluded spot in the middle of no where, preferably near a flowing fresh water source but not so close as being stumbled upon by people following it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
    IF people need to bug out there are HUGE swaths of BLM land that would be prime for refugee camps. There are also state and national forests and reserves that would be perfect for disappearing into. Yellowstone, yosemite, etc, are not small. The whole idea of bugging out is to get the hell away from people because people tend to be crazy when they become desperate. So moving into a farming community isn't exactly the plan. Finding a place that is difficult to get to, and even harder to SEE, is a great way to go.

Bugging out would be an absolute last resort, and by then the only mode of transportation available will be your feet. The only way I'd be going to someplace with people is if I knew the people who were there and had communication with them during the trip to make sure they were still there, and secure, and they were willing to take me in. Otherwise it would be find a secluded spot in the middle of no where, preferably near a flowing fresh water source but not so close as being stumbled upon by people following it.
    I used to think of the bug out thing to BLM, USFS, etc. No more after seeing their LEO carrying M-16, sidearms, body armor etc... just doing their normal patrolling. They find people trying to live in THEIR woods and run them off. Something about a 14 day camping limit. The LEO and other bug out people would see tire tracks, wood smoke, heat seeking FLUR cameras on their planes. Just doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.
    No generators, as they would attract attention of looters etc. My electric well pump has a valve to switch to the "pitcher hand pump" when the power goes off. Lots of food and supplies at your own secure home seems like the best idea.

Dave
    smilin jack

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post

I used to think the bug out thing to BLM or USFS lands was a good thing. No more, after seeing their LEO carrying M-16, sidearms, body armor etc... just doing their normal patrolling. They find people trying to live in THEIR woods and run the campers off. Something about a 14 day camping limit. The LEO and other bug out people would see tire tracks, wood smoke, heat seeking FLUR cameras on their planes. Just doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

No generators for me, as that would attract attention of looters etc. My electric well pump has a valve to switch to the "pitcher hand pump" when the power goes off. Lots of food and supplies at your own secure home seems like the best idea.

Dave
    smilin jack

Quote Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
    I used to think the bug out thing to BLM or USFS lands was a good thing. No more, after seeing their LEO carrying M-16, sidearms, body armor etc... just doing their normal patrolling. They find people trying to live in THEIR woods and run the campers off. Something about a 14 day camping limit. The LEO and other bug out people would see tire tracks, wood smoke, heat seeking FLUR cameras on their planes. Just doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

No generators for me, as that would attract attention of looters etc. My electric well pump has a valve to switch to the "pitcher hand pump" when the power goes off. Lots of food and supplies at your own secure home seems like the best idea.

Dave
    I don't know; just how would they enforce that if society collapses enough that everyone is scrambling? Those LEO have families too, and probably other things to do in a state of national emergency.

And I think unless you already have another domicile set up, camping is a short term solution for 99+% of us. And you could say very, very short term depending on the season. You would already have to be pretty self sufficient, most city dwellers are light years from this, country folk may be a little closer, but for most, just surviving would be something of a small community effort.

Probably the Hutterites, Amish, and Mennonites would stand the best chance if the lights went off tomorrow. Especially with inter colony trading, and a large pool of different skills to draw from.

Boolit Bub
    M35 is my dream truck I will own one

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345