Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wax from cheese

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure, but I believe bottle sealing wax is/was carnauba, but cheese wax wasn't. I would think pure carnauba wax would be way too hard for good lube and may be hard to keep in the grooves. I have used Maker's Mark sealing wax and it was very hard and had to be mixed with a lot of bees wax(but no so bad after I used some of the contents of the bottle...).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

I'm not sure I could name a bottle sealing wax that is for sure carnauba anymore but maybe there are some still.

There's plenty enough carnauba in JPW if you cook off the solvents. In fact, you can make pretty good Darr lube just with JPW, a little Vaseline, and any of the high-zinc oil treatments.

Gear

Boolit Master
    "eat lead sucker".

Do you sell lots of these suckers?
    They would make your blood lead level go way up.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master

Well, after 100 rounds with straight Turtle Wax, I can report "almost zero" leading.

I could see a very light trace, but one single round of the same load lubed with Xlox wiped the bore totally clean.

Load

.38 Special
    358-158-RFP Lee
    3.5 gr Bullseye
    CCI Primer.

I am casting today but this week end I hope to have enough bullets to load up 200+ rounds of that load and do some accuracy testing.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned

WW, you may recall as I've mentioned it here somewhere before, but when I was in college and casting/shooting a lot of .38 Spl. I made it a side project to fix the sticky of LLA. Cooking LLA and TW together until all the water and other solvents had finally sputtered off and then replacing them with a variety of paint-type solvents (denatured alcohol, laquer thinner, turpentine, and a few others) finally yielded something useful and similar to Recluse lube. I think alcohol was the thing I settled on as it was less finicky about residual water and emulsifiers in the TW than the other solvents were.

Gear

I've added Babybel rinds to speed green to stiffen it. I thought it was carnuba. Whatever it is seems to work pretty well.

Boolit Grand Master

The red sealing wax on several wines, Makers Mark, cheese, and any number of others, were canuba wax, at one time. Just like modern day crayons, it has been replaced with a cheaper product. It seals, tears, and appears the same. Most use a modified plastic with red color.
    Nothing is sacred. Toilet bowl wax rings used to be Bees Wax, but has been replaced with a cheaper product called "slack wax" which is the dregs from crude oil cracking.

Boolit Master

Interesting.

I have yet to make my own lube, have been waiting until the large supply I bought years ago is exhausted, which is rapidly approaching. I have been saving the red wax from Sams Club/Costco Cheeses & Wine bottle seals for a few years in preparation. I also pick up JPW when I see it on a dented can sale at stores. Have quite a bit of the food grade paraffin for sealing in food canning as we can food from the garden & small orchard.

Speaking of paraffin, wonder how the paraffin and crud removed from an oil field pipeline PIG would work. One of my jobs as a teen many years ago working in the oil fields was to drive around and pick up the pigs from various sites and transport them to the yard for cleaning and repair as needed. I never had to clean one of the pigs, but just lugging them around I can tell you that the paraffin and sludge may get on you, but it does not want to come off the PIG.

Ahhh Haaa, a possible new prefabricated boolit lube product?

Mustang

I used the cheese wax from baby belle melted in with bees wax and vegtable oil or virgin olive oil for my black powder lube. So far it has held up well in my .45 Colt and Schofield boolits and my .45-60 WCF loads for my 1876 Uberti Cross Fire Trail carbine.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12