Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need a little help from a member with a small lathe...

Need a little help from a member with a small lathe...

I am rebuilding an electric guitar that I have had for 30 years. (since high school) I had the bridge and bridge screws re-plated and the grooves in the screws have closed up enough with the nickel plating that the bridge does not fit in the grooves now. I am sure it would be a simple matter for a feller with a lathe... I would pay for ship both ways, (obviously) and your time.
    Bulltipper
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master

Wouldn't a tap and die set take care of that?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy
    harbor freight tap and die set. more time and cost effective.

Not the threads of the screws, the slots that the bridge slides into. I need a guy with a lathe.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master

Pictures would help. I think you need a milling machine if the "slot" isn't round.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

The "slot" is round, it is on the screw and is perpendicular to the shaft of the screw. From the top of the screw, (which is about 7/16" dia) there is the screw head, then the slot (5/16", then a ridge that is the same dia as the screw head (this forms the slot) then it reduces to 5/16" again and is threaded. I need a guy with a lathe...

Boolit Master
    Think I know what you're saying. But you really need to post a pic so the machinists know exactly what they're getting themselves in for. That way you don't pay shipping for the parts and not get done what you want to get done.
    You describe a circular ridge, "same dia as the screw head" that "forms the slot". Hard to get a mental picture of a circular ridge forming a slot.
    Not trying to give you a hard time, but really need a pic or a drawing (napkin sketch).

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold
    Wrap the threads with tape to protect them. Chuck the screw in a Drill press and while it is spinning use a thin saw blade ( Zona saw) in the slot to open it back up..

Rick

Gibson or Gretchen style height adjusting nut? Try a point file to remove excess plating.
    Whatever!

Does it look a bit like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar screw.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	84450

YES, It looks just like that!! Haha Thanks Norbrat! RHallenbeck and Popper, thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.
    BT

I did the screws on the drill press last night, they turned out fine, thx for the advise guys
    BT