WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 458 vz-24

Tried it out at 100 yards today. I am sure the rifle will do better, but this is about as good as I can do standing on the deck with my elbow on the rail. I knew that I dropped the second shot low as I could see a bit of light between the front sight and the bottom of the tape spot when the trigger broke.

I think we are ready for a deer within around 150 yards..
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

I need to improve my reading comprehension. I was thinking "Hal-fass? what could that possibly mean? ...oh. I get it now."

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I need to improve my reading comprehension. I was thinking "Hal-fass? what could that possibly mean? ...oh. I get it now."
    inside joke amongst friends
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Buddy

Great write up. I've got a Mauser 93 and a short chambered 300 savage barrel waiting in the wings. This helps tremendously. As an aside I've been to your neck of the woods many times. My wife is from Batesville, I was raised in Tupelo and I worked for a company that had a plant in Winona. I miss that part of the world.

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Tried it out at 100 yards today. I am sure the rifle will do better, but this is about as good as I can do standing on the deck with my elbow on the rail. I knew that I dropped the second shot low as I could see a bit of light between the front sight and the bottom of the tape spot when the trigger broke.

I think we are ready for a deer within around 150 yards..
    Shooting like that will put a lot of meat on the table. Halfassed indeed -
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Shooting like that will put a lot of meat on the table. Halfassed indeed -

After deer season I am going to put a globe front in the dovetail for the front with a ring type sight like I had on the Martini just to see what the rifle really will do. I'll have to raise the rear a good bit, but it will be worth it just to see how good it actually will do.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

The postman brought this to me today for the little rifle. Seems a fellow had it laying around and wanted to see it put to good use he said. I feel guilty accepting the kindness of another, but I must admit it is a beautiful little piece of wood. So I need to use it on the little 458 or build another to use this stock on. I am still floored by the kindness of people on gun forums.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

wow!.

So I managed to take a moment and load a few rounds with H322.....

Fired one and I knew I had my stuff together when the trigger broke. Checked it, adjusted and fired 3 more at 100 yards.

With the 322, it is now loaded to the 50K level... Recoil is 2x what it was with 4895, but it still isn't what I'd consider "punishing"
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

url=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/tk3945/media/guns2/5F12BFC1-D0F1-4AE6-B739-C272D76AF8F4_zpsr3w9z9co.jpg.html][/url]

Well I managed to get a doe yesterday morning before church. 75 yards quartering away. That is the entrance. No exit. Just a bunch of lungs in the field that came out of her mouth at the shot. Never had one hit quite so hard that the guts came out. If you look ahead of the gaping hole in her side, you can see where the bullet entered, quartering towards the offside shoulder. Those FTX bullets are designed to work in the 1900+ fps standard 45-70 loadings, but see to get a bit explosive when pushed to 2500+ fps

I am curious to see what the effect will be on one shot in the shoulder broadside instead of standing quartering.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master
    by golly I believe you got enuff gun for the job! Glad to see your dream come to reality. Now to see it in that other stock!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Impressive work!!!! Makes me want to dig through the pile for a donor action and get busy.

To be honest, as nice as the new stock is, I really like the look of the cut-down Mauser stock. It just screams "Workin' Gun".
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Master

As an experiment remove the barrel band and test fire again to see if there's a difference.

Dutch

The first thing I saw when reading this thread was "Steel Butt Plate, and .458 Mag." It is NOT punishing?

Sir,,,,You must be one stout boy! I already could feel my brain bouncing around in my head.

Appears to be powerful enough for MS deer.

I personally would like to see that other stock you got on this gun. That stock has some pretty fabulous grain structure and it is certainly dense enough for that Mauser and the cartridge.

Also with the recoil pad you could probably boost the FPS on that load to about 3000 and still be able to hold onto it.

WOW !

You done good on the conversion!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    As an experiment remove the barrel band and test fire again to see if there's a difference.

Dutch
    I would have tried it already but the band doesn't touch the barrel. It sits just above it and after looking at the section of barrel directly under the band, it doesn't appear that it flexes enough to touch it at firing as there are no marks in the blueing.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The first thing I saw when reading this thread was "Steel Butt Plate, and .458 Mag." It is NOT punishing?

Sir,,,,You must be one stout boy! I already could feel my brain bouncing around in my head.

Appears to be powerful enough for MS deer.

I personally would like to see that other stock you got on this gun. That stock has some pretty fabulous grain structure and it is certainly dense enough for that Mauser and the cartridge.

Also with the recoil pad you could probably boost the FPS on that load to about 3000 and still be able to hold onto it.

WOW !

You done good on the conversion!

Randy
    It really isn't that bad at all. I have some videos of us firing it that I'll have to dig up. Now it may get bad when I load some 500gr pills in it, but right now it really isn't much. I recently added a 375 H&H barrel to my Encore and it is much worse than this rifle when loaded with W760 and 300gr Sierra Gamekings. The scope on it has gotten blood from my nose 3 times in around 30 shots.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master
    I like the 'look' of the old stock.
    Since I was raised on muzzle-loaders, that stock looks like a 1-band musket. Cool.
    And you are very correct, it screams 'working gun'
    Very nice project. Congrats.

I have a visual of that monte carlo stock on something like a .270 Win action, or featherweight .243

Boolit Buddy
    Tek
    Thats a great looking 'Hall-fass'
    Congrats on the 'smithing.
    Cheers
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

That deer never knew what hit her. I don't believe I have ever seen an entrance wound like that! I thought of what Robert Ruark said.."Use enough gun". I believe he would agree that you did just that. I really enjoyed looking through your build pictures. Nice write up and photos. Very nice rifle. I would like to see your new stock on that rifle, but then it would make it not so much a hunting rifle. At least if it were mine I would be afraid of scratching that beautiful piece of wood.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    That deer never knew what hit her. I don't believe I have ever seen an entrance wound like that! I thought of what Robert Ruark said.."Use enough gun". I believe he would agree that you did just that. I really enjoyed looking through your build pictures. Nice write up and photos. Very nice rifle. I would like to see your new stock on that rifle, but then it would make it not so much a hunting rifle. At least if it were mine I would be afraid of scratching that beautiful piece of wood.
    It would have really been something if Goodsteel could have made it into the 500 Jeffery as it was originally intended to be. Would have made the 458 I made it into seem like a pellet rifle in comparison!
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast