Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good cup of coffee?

Boolit Buddy

What makes a good cup of coffee?

I got to admit I change slow and still make my coffee the old way on the stove top. The wife has one of those put in the plastic premeasured packet and out pops a cup things. My coffee seems more like water then good stuff no matter how much grinds I add. I had a great cup at a restaurant the other night. Any thoughts here on brand or good coffee maker?

Boolit Master
    I make mine on the stove top in a Corning Ware coffee pot. They are just the best. The old pyrex coffee pots are good too. Fresh grind then brew. let it perc SLOW, do not boil the coffee.
    What kind of coffee are you attempting to brew?
    Good coffee is only as good as the bean it is made from. I like dark coffee myself, the dark roasts. I brew Rio Grande Roasters from my local Sam's.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

over the hill, out in the woods and far away

Boolit Buddy
    When I lived in a small north Texas town I would go to Starbucks for my daily cup of coffee. Just coffee, not the fancy latte, XYZ, etc stuff. The local cafe’s were often not open when I was up and going, or their coffee was pretty bad. I did make some at home, but never was satisfied, in part because of the local water taste.

Last May I bought a Jura machine. Yeah, the price just about takes your breath away, but the coffee is incredibly good. Plus, I just walk over and push a button, the machine grinds the beans, and does all the work inside while all I have to do is pick up my cup and enjoy.

I haven’t used the frother to make fancy stuff yet, but this summer I made some iced coffee (2 shots espresso over ice with milk) and it was quite good.

http://www.us.jura.com/home_us_x/impressa_c5_ul.htm

I can hardly drink a cup of Starbucks now. And that doesn’t matter as the closest one is 45 miles away Have fun with your search, there are lots of options out there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    I make mine on the stove top in a Corning Ware coffee pot. They are just the best. The old pyrex coffee pots are good too. Fresh grind then brew. let it perc SLOW, do not boil the coffee.
    What kind of coffee are you attempting to brew?
    Good coffee is only as good as the bean it is made from. I like dark coffee myself, the dark roasts. I brew Rio Grande Roasters from my local Sam's.
    I have been grinding Costco dark beans, but cooking it hot. Going to try the slow method tomorrow. Old saying"what can it hurt"

K - CUPS!
    They're more expensive by the cup than brewing, but they're 1 cup instantly and no waste. I buy San Francisco Bay companies Fog Chaser from BJ's 80 packs for $30.
    The coffee is DARK and RICH and better than anything I have found anywhere else at any price. Every cup made is the same as the last. No measuring, no cleaning pots or forgotten filters. It's a LUXURY that I won't give up. The only problem is when I get a coffee anywhere else it's "bleh". Someone at work was telling me that they wouldn't get a Keurig cause the kcups were too expensive. I explained that I can buy a K-Cup and a travel mug from the dollar store and throw the mug away for the same price as a dunkin donut's medium. And I can make that cup of coffee faster than stopping at a drive thru.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    A good quality filter paper in a basket. Good quality water and medium fine FRESH ground coffee of good quality. Water needs to be between 190-200'F (well under the boiling point) then slowly poured through. Alternatively, same ingredients/recipe made in a quality "French press" maker.

Boolit Master

I use the Folger's 100% Columbian, either Med-Dark or Black Silk (Dark). I like the taste of it. I have a Cuisinart with a thermal carafe, keeps it fairly hot all day. 3- one eighth cup-kinda heaping scoops with 8 cups of water makes a good brew. At the camp, I use a percolator, make some real mud up there. Love it. I may break out my mom's old percolator and use it, I still got it in the garage. The Cuisinart is just do dang easy--set it up at night and turn on the autobrew. Walk in the kitchen in the morning and pour my first cup. Just lazy, I guess.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Fill a big porcelain coffee pot with water from the spring and put it on the log fire, pour in about a pound of coffee ground up nice and a few egg shells (don't grind them), cook it 'till a horse shoe floats. Then enjoy!
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    ^^What are the egg shells for Blacksmith?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I've always liked a chicory blend coffee. Although it definitely adds to the richness of the flavor, it unfortunately does not add to the caffeine content. Some people might prefer that, but I'm "caffeine-dependent"...
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Making good coffee is just like making good wine! Both are nothing but chemicals mixed together. The taste obtained is dependent on your taste buds at the moment as well. Some general rules about coffee: Water should be around 180 degrees for normal roasts. Anything more tends to break down the "woody" kernals as well as the caffine content. Anything less than 140 degrees allows buggy contaminates, such as from roach poop, to thrive. You can count on the water from the tap having been modified, and in some areas quite extensively to meet standards not necessarily conducive to a good cup of coffee. Water properly balanced with calcium and magnesium sulfates and chlorides after distillation is a great standard when comparing different coffees, remembering each lot of coffee will be different anyway. This is no different than playing with different loads for different guns. There is one combination that beats everything, but only on certain days (taste buds, ambient conditions, etc). ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    As I get older, I prefer a darker roast that gives a richer taste. I also don't drink as much coffee as I used to one big cup once a day or so will keep me satisfied. I used to drink coffee from the time I got up until I went to bed (Navy training don't you know).

I agree a Corning Ware percolator can make the best coffee, but the cheap Mr. Coffee knockoffs are so much more convenient; it is just harder to get the ratio of grounds to water right with them.

Robert

Boolit Master

Folgers 100% columbian, Black Silk... Clean water... Farberware percolater.... got this set-up in my workshop...All the cawfee i could need for the day. If i want it " stand my hair up" strong...I perk it twice!

Boolit Master

On the other hand....when I work in NYC...it's "Mud Truck" cawfee....parked in front of Cooper Union..near the subway entrance.

Boolit Master

Green beans from Sweet Maria's, roasted at the house every couple of days, ground fresh before brewing in a french press.

The coffee at the office is Community Dark Roast (the State Coffee of Louisiana, by act of the state legislature), drip-brewed.

Mine's better.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    The coffee at the office is Community Dark Roast (the State Coffee of Louisiana, by act of the state legislature), drip-brewed.

Mine's better.

dale in Louisiana
    No chicory? I thought they would kick you out of the state if you didn't prefer a chicory blend coffee...
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Perma-Banned

high crisp mountain air as a light snow falls on your quartered elk. with the smell of coffee startn to boil in your quart pot and your little pine fire poppin and putting that faint flavor of the wild in it.

Love Life
    Brand of Coffee: Whatever is on sale
    Water: Straight from the sink
    Coffee Pot: Mr. Coffee

Add grounds to filter, add water to reservoir, push start button, come back in 5 minutes for coffee.

Boolit Master
    HI...

Brew coffee in an automatic coffee maker (Hamilton Beach Brew Station) using Folger's Gourmet Roast.
    Add creamer and sweetner to taste.
    Walk over to sink, pour down drain, rinse out cup.

Get some Earl Grey tea and pour boiling water over it, let brew.
    Tea is good for you...coffee bad.

I am firmly convinced that 98% of the world's problems occur because most people start the day with a cup of coffee...it is all bad, no matter how "good" it is.

I have never had a bad cup of Earl Grey tea. I always have a good day if I start off with a cup of Earl Grey.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast