Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite military bolt gun?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC17765.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	131569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC17767.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	131570

For me, it has to be this M96 Swedish Mauser that I recently found.

It is a 1915 Gustafs that was re-furbed at the Swedish army workshops in Stockholm prior to 1945.

The rifle is all matching, in mint condition and as far as I can tell un-fired, (until last Sunday.)

ukrifleman.

Boolit Master
    Been shooting the 7.7 Jap since the 70's and still love them, would like to track down a 8x57 Mauser and a 303 Brit but money is a little short so I'm staying with my Arasika's.

Boolit Master

Austrian Werndl 11mm

Boolit Master
    Right now, my Mosins, but i am building a mauser in 8x57

Boolit Master

I like them all. 303s and Swedish mausers top of the list. Mosins are alot of fun too. If it has history and goes bang after the bolt is closed i will have a place for it in my house.
    I realy like 22 trainers too, something about a full sized battle rifle in 22lr, and some will take a bayonet!!!, to much fun.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-22-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    short or tall as long as they are original and matching I like them all.

Boolit Master

M1903 Springfield.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Mine is a toss up between Mosin M39 or my Swiss K31 I have 2 M39s and 2 K31s. The ammo is cheaper I n the 7.62x54r

Boolit Buddy

Any well preserved military Mauser is a fine piece, indeed. They are second only to the post-'64 Model 70 Winchester G-series push feed, which is the finest bolt gun, period.

Boolit Buddy

Right now it's an 1894 Krag... but over the years it changes.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Don't even have to think about it......1903 Springfield! Low number-high number, RIA-Springfield, A1-A2-A4, no matter.... I love them all!

Boolit Buddy
    Tough for me to decide which of my military rifles I prefer more. Have each of a nice condition: 1903 Springfield, 1903A03 Smith-Corona, M1936 Mexican, 1928? Czech/Persian Long Rifle. All shoot quite well. Prefer the rear sights on the 1903 Springfield, but of the rifles listed, this Springfield has the worst bore. Other rifles mentioned, have mint bores, but the 1923 dated barrel on the Springfield does shoot well for accuracy, dispite its worn and frosted bore. Of these rifles, the excellent condition the M1936 Mexican has the best trigger. First time I pulled its trigger, immediately took the barrel action out of the stock to examine and was surprised to find the trigger had not been worked on. Recently had this rifle at range and couple of gents I compete against in our range's military rifle 200 yard competition were there. Both use 1903A03 Springfields in the competition, often finishing 1st or 2nd place in it. Had them try the trigger and both were surprised when I told them, the trigger was still military and that I'd done nothing to it other than clean and lub it. Dispite my ramblings about the above rifles, guess the Danish Madsen M58 Columbian 30-06 I found new/never issued in a department store back around 1967 for $45 should be mentioned. Unusual design and somewhat rare military rifle as only maybe 6,000 were made for Columbian navy. But rifles never delivered and ended up being sold in U.S. market back in the late 60s. Crossed paths at a local gunshow with a guy I used to hunted with a very long time ago, but had not seen for maybe 35 years. During out conversation, he'll ask me if I still had the Madsen. Yep, I replied, its a safe queen for me.

98 Mauser is still in production last I looked. That is telling.
    My last two Bolt gun purchases were an FN-M70 Winchester and CZ 527. Both derived from the 98 Mauser. So I can not deny.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Man
    03-A4 , I don't think my other milsurps will ever come close in the accuracy dept. And it's the only one I don't want to turn into something else.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow just can’t pick one but I can list some favorites.
    A303- Its just so red white and blue to me. I still remember my grandfather telling me how he and his pals back in WW2 complained when they first got their Garand’s, as they were less accurate than his trusty 1903. He did go on to say how much his assessment changed once he got in combat and the advantage of fire-power over 900 yd accuracy became apparent.
    K31- just make’s you think “craftsmanship”. This rifle also has the best trigger of any gun I own mil-surp or otherwise
    M95-34 – Super fun to shoot and the only one I hunt with. 230 GR of soft point lead, Just works.
    1905 Ross – Well because it’s a Ross and I’m a Ross
    MN 91-30- How can you not love something that is so crude and ugly but works every time.
    96 Swedish mauser- What can I say, It just looks right.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    So far my favorite is my Finn M39. It's very accurate and very likely has the best trigger of any battle bolt action rifle. I have 3 of them and this goes for all 3.

Motor

My 303 Ross and then my other 303 Ross.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Mold
    My favorite is a Lee-Enfield No.5 Mk1. You know - a "Jungle Carbine". I was there when it was bought by my college roommate around 1960 for about $25. By the way, we even then called it a Jungle Carbine; ditto when I bought one for myself in 1964, again for $25. About 10 years ago, my pal was moving with his wife to FL and I bought it from him.

Last fall, I shot it in tribute to my old friend, who thanks to USAF service in Vietnam, now must reside in a care facility, as he has an ideopathic lower body Parkinson's. It put a smile on his face recently when I told him about shooting his rifle. Which, incidentally still puts them right where you aim them. No wandering zero that we could detect. This rifle is not perfect with its added leather sling from 50-odd years ago - but it is my favorite milsurp.

Regards,

Dyson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    So far my favorite is my Finn M39. It's very accurate and very likely has the best trigger of any battle bolt action rifle.

Motor
    Same here, probably the best open sights on a military rifle also.

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=DGNY;3159045]My favorite is a Lee-Enfield No.5 Mk1. You know - a "Jungle Carbine".

This rifle is not perfect with its added leather sling from 50-odd years ago - but it is my favorite milsurp.QUOTE]

To this day, I believe I saved myself from death or serious injury with a #5 Mk1. I killed an oncoming black bear at muzzle-flash range, firing four rounds so quickly that I'm willing to SWEAR that there were at least three empties in the air before any hit the ground.

As the beneficiary of extensive Canadian Army training with the #4 Rifle, the identical action of the #5 was an easy transition indeed. In this situation, the rapid-fire capability was very useful.

The bear was a large male just out of hibernation, who was sufficiently-irritated by my husky dog to chase her into camp.... where he met Mr. Lee Enfield. He died about four feet from my toes.

I tried to buy that #5 from my employer... no dice. Anyway, the #4 is MY favorite military rifle, but I'd be mighty pleased to find a nice #5 to keep the #4s company.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast