WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: ar fixed iron sights

Boolit Bub

ar fixed iron sights

any one got any ideas on a set of fixed sight for my flat top ar?not real fond of the flip up sights.I have a red dot on it now but would really not want to relieon a battery when
    _ROGER THAT_

Boolit Master
    I have a Yankee Hill, IIRC, A2 style rear sight on my flat top. I really like it. I also made the front sight post smaller like a national match post, .050" diameter, works great.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Not really the same but I have a 1-3x on my ar180b that works great. Just an option
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

Depending upon the red dot you have. I have the reflex red dot, specifically the T-1 Aimpoint with a riser, and with my irons I'm able to sight right through the red dot glass. I have Samson aluminum flip-ups and they aren't cheap but they should last a lifetime. A lot of irons are right at $200.00 a set but if you want plastic/polymer I would think they would be a whole lot cheaper and probably just as good.

Attachment 84493

Boolit Master

I'm an old dinosoar so take my advice in that context! Both of my "come to Jesus" fightin Ar's are built on A2 uppers with National match profiled A2 front sights. One is a true A2 fixed stock rifle with a 20 inch Kreger H Bar barrel and the other is a colapsable stock A2 upper with a Navy Seal contoured 16 inch Black Hole Weaponry barrel. Now to try and answer your question. IF I had a flat top and wanted the most dependable sight setup AND also use a red dot I would use an A2 front sight coupled with a detachable carry handle and a mount for the red dot to clear sights as needed. or I'd set it up to remove the carry handle to mount the red dot sight. IF I remember correctly, and I might not be right, Most red dots are only 3-5 MOA at best. In MY mind at least, that don't cut it and Batteries have NO PLACE in the primary sights of a battle rifle.

Banned

ive got a couple of those rear sights that look like a removeable carry handle cut off. there not pretty but they work.

Boolit Master
    when i built a 300 blackout, i pondered the same thing and got the least expensive metal fold down sights on amazon and they work just as well as the expensive fold downs on an original ruger sr556 i bought when they first came out

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Daniel Defense fixed sights.

Unfortunately, there are some sellers on ebay and aliexpress that sell really low quality knockoffs, some even have DD logos. Cheap, and they'd work in a pinch, I guess, but I hope no one actually supports the scumbags by buying their "stuff".

ETA: can you say necropost? Oops.
    Last edited by kencha; 09-29-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8272
    Check these folks out, quality sight systems...
    Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You.
    (Psa 33:22)
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -John Adams