Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The "Inscrutable" Cast Softpoint EXPANSION TEST

Boolit Master

Cool idea with the Jello bags. Tie some in succession followed by a piece of free hanging carpet and you can retrieve all your slugs.

Boolit Grand Master

I was doing some penetration testing and was looking for a consistent penetration media of which there are lots around but many less that I can afford for more than one or two tests if the media isn't reusable.

I looked a gelatin but the cost was just too high especially if you go the real ballistic gelatin route.

I got one only Bullet Test Tube but haven't yet used if for big bore/powerful rounds. I tried to order another but they were back ordered at the time. These are pricey but reusable and with 2 or 3 end to end they will stop almost anything.

So far I am impressed but having said that I think many different types of waxes could be used for this - it seems similar to toilet ring wax but a little less gooey, maybe toilet ring wax/beeswax mix would work?

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.thebullettesttube.com/selecting.html

The Bullet Test Tube works and is nice but one and one test only then it has to be melted down and recast - time consuming and work. It does however give you a cavity to look at as well.

Personally I like Bruce's idea of the rice slurry. It is affordable, repeatable and biodegradeable. It isn't infinitely reusable but can be used for multiple expansion tests at one time then left where used - food for critters.

I am not sure how things will react in your pipe but if you use the rubber sheet on both ends you stand a good chance of allowing the necessary expansion without destroying the tube. The Bullet Test Tubes are just a 6" or so cylinder of wax in a cardboard tube.

I will be very interested in your results.

Thanks,
    Longbow

In Remembrance
    Ok, now we're talkin'! What we need here is 'bullet lube technology'.

Fill that plastic tube 3/4 full of well-mixed paraffin and peanut oil.
    Wrap ten coils of 2-inch electrical conduit around the outside, and put one end over the pickup's exhaust pipe.

You have a 'lube heater' that should keep the contents at a consistency like cool honey.
    Fire your test bullets and let 'em all sink to the bottom of the tube.

After the 'lube' cools enough to solidify, roll the tube over and remove three long oval 'hatches' (wisely fabricated before the test) and find all of the bullets laying in plain sight...needing only a sharp stick to dig 'em out of the oily wax.

Probably won't splash. Probably won't rot. No danger of something getting lead poisioning from trying to eat it. Might even work for lubing your bullets. What's not to love?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance
    Has this project been put on hold...or abandoned?
    CM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Has anyone seen a video of what balistic gelatin does when hit? I have not so cannot comment as to the energy dissipation or wave propagation through the medium, maybe someone else can.

I think Bruce's tests are good for us to hear about as I have not seen much of this.
    A block of ballistic gelatin appears to jump on impact and twist from the projectile's spin then flops quivering in fear. Happens kinda fast for my eyes to analyze more precisely.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Banned

I would recommend setting 2 one gallon jugs of water BEFORE your test box or test tube.

This will/may dissipate most of your shock from teh bullet before it enters your test media.

Just replace the one gallon jugs for each shot.

The jugs will blow out and away and may not damage anything.

Banned

I believe you trouble lies in that your test box is not big enough, going to a smaller tube I don't think will work.

If I could suggest, I would get a 55 gallon metal drum, cut it in half, lay the two halves end to end, cut a square in the end to put your plastic "window" you shoot through, then fill with your slurry.

The wider girth of the 55 gal drum may help with the shock wave of the bullet. The slurry could 'blow out the top' or at least lay a cloth on top of the slurry to keep it from raining but not restrict the exit path if needed.

Good concept Blammer! How about a rubber sheet, or heavy visquene over the top? Sealed around the edges.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

if you seal it up you're gonna blow it.

let it lay loose, better off. Got to have somewhere for the energy to go.

In Remembrance
    Bruce B,
    Did you ever proceed with perfecting this bullet trap?

CM

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567