WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who all's first gun was a single shot?

My first single shot rifle was an old Winchester bolt action .22, I have no Idea what model it was. My dad got it for me and I only had it a couple of years and sold it after I graduated from High School (1970). My next cartridge single shot rifle that I bought was a .45/70 Rolling Block sold by Navy Arms when I was stationed in Alaska in 1972. I still have that rifle.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Stevens M-94C, break-top single shot, 20 gauge, for my 9th birthday. This was a gift from my father. The fun lasted less than a year as he died one week before my 10th birthday. From then on it was up to adult friends and relatives to head out to the woods with me.

Thin Man

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That was rough Thin Man.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Mine was a 22 semi auto that did not cycle at all. So it was a single shot with the worst extraction system you ever saw. A muzzle loader would have been faster.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Bub
    I too, had a Savage 94c in .410. Still have that one in my gun safe and plan to pass it on to one of my sons. Take care, John.

Boolit Buddy
    Still have my Steven break open 22 Hornet.

Boolit Bub
    My first was a single shot 20 gauge H&R topper.
    I was 12

Technically my first gun was a Mossberg bolt action shotgun. In theory it was a 3 shot repeater.

But the bottom of the bolt had this square edge on it. So when you went to open the bolt after firing a shot it would get halfway back. Then jam on the rim of the round below it.

Run it as a single shot = trouble free, try to load 3 and it would jam every time on the first 2 shots.

The good news is I still own that gun, fast forward some 40 years, the other day I pulled it down, looked at it, loaded it, yep, it still jams.

Pulled the bolt, grabbed my dremel, and it jams NO MORE!

I never shot a deer with that gun, but it opened the doors to the whole world of hunting and shooting.
    For that I will always remember it.

Boolit Master

The first gun I purchased for myself was a TC Contender in 7-30 Waters Super 14".

Hi:

My first gun was a Winchester 67A single shot 22. I no longer have it and I do wish I had kept it.

Terryt

My first gun came as triplets.
    My cousin gave me a 22 Martini w/peep sight, Winchester 37(12G) and a Remington 513S w/Weaver J2.5.
    That was at age 9 at the time and my cousin was headed for Inchon.
    Later in life(21-22 years) I was able to reciprocate by giving him a 513S(different one)W J2.5, a 23D Savage and a model 70 originally in 22 hornet but very professionally re-chambered to 222 with scope.
    Thanks for forcing the good memories.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 10-24-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was a Stevens Favorite .22 and my first shotgun was a Stevens single shot .410.I still have the Favorite as it was my Dad's.The .410 was given to a friend for his son.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Buddy

I traded a (back when they were new) transistor radio for a Winchester Model 67 carbine - and shot a ton of .22 shorts through it! Hell of a good time! But then I was only 14 .... ah! For those days.

Boolit Grand Master
    Single shot .22 from Sears. Stolen many years ago. Was a good .22. Only seen once like it and that was last year. Was tempted to buy it.

My first gun was a single shot bolt action Remington Target Master 22 short/long/long rifle and I still have it after 50 years.

Remington 410 the same one my boys used when they started hunting

Mine was an Ithaca model 66 lever action 12 ga. 30" full choke. Got it as a Christmas present in 1967, early for pheasant season. Took me a year to remember to pull the hammer back and not throw the lever. You do that and the gun broke open for loading. Missed a lot of birds doing that. Still have it but took the original butt plate off for a recoil pad when I was a kid. Wish I had the old butt plate now.

My rifle was a 510 Remington and I still own it today. The 510, 511 and 512 flock has increased to 18, just like tater chips, once I started restoring them I could not stop.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Grand Master

Back some time just after 1900 my grandfather bought a brand new Remington rolling block 22. Grandpa died before I was born and it was then my dads rifle. Dad gave it to me when I was 9 years old, that would have been in 1957. I still have it. I also got Grandpa's Winchester model 97 12 gauge after my dad died in 72. Still have that too. Neither gets shot anymore though, they are my safe queens.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    My first rifle was a Remington 33 .22, I got it in '77 from my father and I still have it today! I have taken many critters with this rifle. There is no finish left on the metal and the stock I refinished for some reason with lemon oil when I was ten. But without a but plate and original rear site, or a pretty stock, I still love this gun and it still covers all shots here around the house. I have and have had a lot of single shots, but this gun I will pass on to my son!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast