RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Tails on booli/t sprue plate gap

Boolit Buddy

Tails on booli/t sprue plate gap

I have been running my MiHec 9mm124hp 4 cav and have an issue that I wonder anyone else is experiencing.
    My sprue plate has a slight gap on the end opposite the hinge screw resulting in the occasional "flange" around the base of the 4th boolit.
    This will show up when the mold is running nice and hot and fill out is looking really sweet. Just a little too sweet on the end with the gap.
    I have the hinge screw as tight as I am comfortable torquing it in brass.
    Seems like an easy cure would be a flanged screw on the opposite side of the sprue spate to hold down the plate to elliminate the gap (like some of the "other guys molds").
    Anybody else deal with this?

Vendor Sponsor

Try to "flatten" spring washer under the hinge screw.....
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master

Try loosening up your pivot screw and the other end may settle down and eliminate the finning. I find the sprue plate screws on most of my Mihec moulds to be a little too tight for my purposes. That's why he puts in the set screw, so you can set things to work properly, unlike LEE moulds where I have to add in my own set screws.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Try loosening up your pivot screw and the other end may settle down and eliminate the finning. I find the sprue plate screws on most of my Mihec moulds to be a little too tight for my purposes. That's why he puts in the set screw, so you can set things to work properly, unlike LEE moulds where I have to add in my own set screws.
    This, good advice, the very trick the "fixed" mine.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Flatten the washer how, like take it out and sqwoosh it in a vice?
    Then put it back in under a loose screw?

Boolit Master

That was 2 options on what to do, the loose plate fixed mine.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I fiddled with the mold today.
    Tried stacking a washer between the hinge screw head and the lock washer so I could tighten it up a little more. Still had a gap.
    So took that washer off put it back together. Before i tightened the screw I checked for the gap by holding the mold up to the light.
    No gap. I slowly tightened the hinge screw until the gap appeared. Then I backed it off just enough to eliminate the gap. Tightened up the set screw and fired up the pot.
    Cranked out about a thousnd bullets today and no flanges. Yeah! These were some of the best I have ever cast.
    The sprue plate was very loose, yet I didn't have any smearing or flanges. (sprue lube works)
    If I tilt the mold sideways the sprue plate swings freely.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Dan