MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 22LR replacement caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    ...I think a neat Idea would be to invent a 38 special 22 , by a jet die shortened and chambered in your flavor gun , a 22 TC comes to mind...
    .256 Winchester Magnum - necked down .357

...or if you wanna "wildcat" it, neck it down even further to .22 cal...

just sayin'
    Last edited by deetee; 06-20-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added idea

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deetee View Post
    .256 Winchester Magnum - necked down .357

...or if you wanna "wildcat" it, neck it down even further to .22 cal...

just sayin'
    Chuckling at the idea of rechambering a .22LR Semi-Auto Rifle into such a 'Wildcat' cartridge at SAAMI .22LR pressures.

Boolit Master
    Been kind of thinking about a .38 necked down to .22. .38's are real easy to come by, .357's not so much here.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    Been kind of thinking about a .38 necked down to .22.
    Should be "kinda" proportional, down 0.03" on the calibre, and 3mm on the length...

Definitely be a load of fun as a "big boy" plinker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I'm way late getting into this conversation, but the replacement around here for the 22LR is the 32 S+W and 32 S+W Long. Boolits tend to be in the 85-90 gr range, powder charges around 1-1.5 grs and the brass lasts absolutely forever as long as you don't crush it. If you're target shooting you can usually dig the boolits out of the sand bank and re-cast them. No GC needed, no fancy lube either. And the rifles tend to weigh in under 5 lbs! Perfect for the kids and old guys who aren't superman anymore. Rabbits, squirrels and such tend to become very still very fast when hit with a nice FN at 700 fps. I've even been know to use it on coyote on the trap line and it's adequate for fox, feral cats, porkies and other 22 sized game. Range is the only limitation, along with finding a suitable rifle to convert from 32 RF to CF.
    Julian Hatcher and Elmer Keith agreed that the 32 S&W Long was great for small game as long as you did not use factory loads. I wish that someone would come up with a single shot rifle - falling block, rolling block, etc. We ain't talking high pressures here.

Boolit Master
    Here are photos of my case forming dies.
    The following views are of my dies for reducing .25ACP and similar body diameters down to .22 Ladybug body diameters:
    Click image for larger version. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 Series swagin dies top view cropped 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	222542
    Top and side view of dies (tops tapped 1/2-20UNF)

Click image for larger version.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 Series Swaging Dies bottom view cropped 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	222543
    Bottom view of the homemade dies with the Left ones fitted with Drill Bushings and the rightmost one a machined blank body.

Also shown are a machined Blank die body ready for a Drill Bushing insertion and the 8" long 3/16" diameter Pin Punch I use to remove swaged cases form the dies. The punch working end had been modified with a slight taper and radius on the edge.

The following views are of my dies for forming 5.7x28mm and .22 Hornet down to .25ACP body diameters:

Name:	25 Series Swaging Dies  Side view cropped 4.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	222544

Name:	25 Series Swaging Dies bottom view cropped 5.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	222545
    These dies are, from the Left, Lee opened Carbide Ring .25ACP Sizing Dies of .300", .288", .284", and .2785"; with the rightmost die a Hollywood Engineering Steel .25ACP sizing die.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.

223 in a TC Contender. 32 HRM in a Single Six revolver. Cheap, accurate shooting all around.

I happen to have one or two 303 Lee Enfields. One of them at least shoots lightweight (147gr) plinker loads which are subsonic, very quiet with a suppressor and accurate to boot, like, centre of beer can at 40 - 50 yds from the shoulder. Trouble is, these are paper patched (the patch stays on to the target) and are that much more effort to make. That 147gr boolit is mighty short by the way - I wouldn't want to patch much shorter. Chances are, I could find a plain boolit to shoot just as well.

I also happen to have hornet that seems to be Ok with RCBS 55 grainers. Not super accurate but then the castings were lousy. If someone could teach me how to cast good boolits from the double cavity mould I would be eternally grateful.

My loading technique is to set a card wad to seating depth then place a ball of waxy-lube on the card followed by a heated boolit which melts the lube and stays put once the lube freezes. No case prepping required - no sizing whatever, no nothing. I'm not sure how slow the boolit can be fired and still stay stable but at reasonable loads the holes were perfectly round. Just not all on top of each other. They weren't slow so maybe I was over doing it. That same gun shoot 63gr bullets very accurately with its 1 in 16 twist. Don't underestimate what bullet/boolit weight a 1 in 16 twist can stabilise.

So I am covered should the supply of 22 LR ammo from the US ever dry up.

Thing is though, the 22 LR rifle is a whole lot of fun to shoot. I have a small collection of them, including a number of single shots. I also have one or two barreled actions missing their bolts. One takes a 22 pellet just about right. I want to build a compressor powered gun on that one for backyard practice. One day. I found that if the pellet is pushed into the bore then normal compressed air pressure will fire it but not very fast.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Julian Hatcher and Elmer Keith agreed that the 32 S&W Long was great for small game as long as you did not use factory loads. I wish that someone would come up with a single shot rifle - falling block, rolling block, etc. We ain't talking high pressures here.
    I had my gunsmith make me a 327mag out of a H&R Hnadi rifle. I can shoot all the 32's in it .Beside I have a BH in it also from the start and a P32 .This is the same reason i had it done for all that been post to want to do for have shoot like a 22lr.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I had my gunsmith make me a 327mag out of a H&R Hnadi rifle. I can shoot all the 32's in it .Beside I have a BH in it also from the start and a P32 .This is the same reason i had it done for all that been post to want to do for have shoot like a 22lr.
    That is a grand idea. I checked on the new Handi rifles; they do not appear to have in in 32 H&R or 327, but I noticed they he 'em in 44 mag, which would be tolerable since I do load 44 special also. Your reply got me thinking about perhaps a thompson center encore and I am now wondering if they have one in 327 or 32 H&R. I did a little checking and they are a touch high - custom barrels.

Banned
    5 cents/round for 22 LR is "expensive" ?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    5 cents/round for 22 LR is "expensive" ?
    Yes, when it was around 2 cents a round 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    That is a grand idea. I checked on the new Handi rifles; they do not appear to have in in 32 H&R or 327, but I noticed they he 'em in 44 mag, which would be tolerable since I do load 44 special also. Your reply got me thinking about perhaps a thompson center encore and I am now wondering if they have one in 327 or 32 H&R. I did a little checking and they are a touch high - custom barrels.
    My gunsmith had the barrel made for the gun.It was a 35rem but I mess up on not keep the barrel. But it is a 327 Fed Mag and have a scope on it.There was a different gun he was trying to make as a repeater but things did not fall in place. So it went to the H&R Handi rife.For all I will use it for will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by boman250 View Post
    Yes, when it was around 2 cents a round 15 years ago.
    You got that right. On one site I get notice from to buy in bulk it is 4 cents a round when you get 5000 it is free shipping.It is blaze 22lr. but I am still not sure if I want to do it or not. I have not seen anywhere that is less then that yet.I do not think so for how things are now.

Boolit Master
    Trapper, 200.00 a case and free shipping is a great deal. Years ago when I was shooting indoor match .22, I shifted to Blazers because I never got a misfire with it. With Remington standard velocity or Winchester white box I would get 1 or 2 in a box of 50. If that was in timed or rapid fire, I had to shoot the stage over again - a PITA. Go for it, you’ll have a lifetime supply.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Trapper, 200.00 a case and free shipping is a great deal. Years ago when I was shooting indoor match .22, I shifted to Blazers because I never got a misfire with it. With Remington standard velocity or Winchester white box I would get 1 or 2 in a box of 50. If that was in timed or rapid fire, I had to shoot the stage over again - a PITA. Go for it, you’ll have a lifetime supply.
    Thank you I think I will then . and yes it will be a lifetime supply for me . thank you

Boolit Master
    Some News: Today "Ammoguide Interactive" added two Cartridges their Cartridge Master Database, the 5,5 Velodog and the Wild cat originally made from it, the .221 Askins.

The case diagrams are based upon measurements made and reported by Major J. S. Hatcher and anecdotal comments ascribed to col Charles Askins.

Now we have 1930s era cartridges to chose from for '.22LR replacements'.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 01-03-2019 at 02:27 AM.

I loaded some .223 Bator boolits in my Remington bolt gun with 2.0 gr of Red Dot, but could never get any accuracy out of it.

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 06-30-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added information
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

WAY late to this thread.
    I agree various .32s would be a great choice.
    However, I've found cast bullets in any old 30/30 with a little unique does as well out to 40 yards.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    I replaced the 22lr. with 9mm carbine I even made a single shot out of a 20ga. shotgun. Haven't used a 22 in several years it is even a good squirrel rifle.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast