Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 22LR replacement caliber

Boolit Bub
    If you want something just a little bit different (something I'm often accused of), why not go with a wildcat. A 22-25acp comes to mind...

Boolit Master

22-25ACP wildcat. Teeny little bottleneck cartridge with a teeny powder space which would require a fast pistol powder for combustion. nice thing about other cartridges in the 22 caliber family is that although the bullet maybe tiny at least the cartridges can be handled with a modicum of dexterity while allowing for a spread of powder choices.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I've got some .32 rifles (as in .32 S&W long or .32 long colt) that do nicely, but unfortunately they are neither common, nor generally repeaters.

I've been thinking about getting another .222 with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist, as the round is nearly perfect for cast with it's long case neck, and slightly reduced capacity compared to the .223. One of the handy things about the .222 is that .223 brass can be made into .222 brass quite easily, thereby also reducing costs.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

Air rifle in 22 cal may be the way to go.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Brass cost is a nit compared to the other costs, so don't even think of that. One thing to consider, though, is that the bolt for a 222 and 32 pistol are perfectly commensurate when assuming a Sako (flexible) claw extractor. Do I hear a switch barrel jobbie coming? Perhaps, but who needs a repeater anyway. That's what your lever guns are for. ... felix

I might strongly consider purchasing your best 32 shooter as is to help fund this endeavor. I already have a 222 (222/40^) bench gun. ... felix

Stay with 14 twist!!!! ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 10-09-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    felix

Boolit Master

.221 Remington Fireball, if you can find one.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 22 K-Hornet rechamber from a 22lr barrel for my Contender. Velocity from 800 fps to 3,000 fps are doable with the Lyman 45gr RN.
    I also have a pellet conversion for my 223 Rem Contender. Uses a case modified to take a shotgun primer and with a couple of dimples in the neck the pellet stays in place. At 15 yards the group is one hole, then the fouling degrades accuracy. Boy, is that primer fouling hard to get out! Velocity is just over 600 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Air rifle in 22 cal may be the way to go.
    And i can shoot it in my yard. My 22cal Marauder pistol is deadly accurate and has enough power to kill most small game. The barrel is baffled (silenced). You fill it to 3000psi with scuba tank or bicycle type foot pump
    http://www.crosman.com/prostaff-picks/PROPICK007

In Remembrance

223, 5.5 gr #9, 58 gr cast, spm primer. 1375 fps moa or less. Use 1-12 twist and bolt gun. Enough power to take the occasional coyote and good for whislte pigs at 22lr ranges. Good small game load.

PS costs me about 6.5 to 7 cents per round.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    I've been shooting a lot of 223 out of a 10" Contender barrel with a 1:12 twist using a lyman 225438 over a charge of green dot or unique. Cheap and fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    And i can shoot it in my yard. My 22cal Marauder pistol is deadly accurate and has enough power to kill most small game. The barrel is baffled (silenced). You fill it to 3000psi with scuba tank or bicycle type foot pump
    http://www.crosman.com/prostaff-picks/PROPICK007
    Blammer and detox have it right...though allow me to fill in some detail. You specified LR performance, this is possible but with cast boolits. A Marauder will make a fine platform, apply a modified valve body, and install a 14" twist, .224 barrel liner from TJ's. Or start with a Discovery( also a Benjamin ). The biggest issue is the barrel twist rate will restrict you to about 45 grains...and there is as yet no 12 or 10" twist liner available( though I may have a mandrel made if I get enough power easily ). A 225415's slug moving 950 fps at the muzzle is 110 FPE and accuracy should be MOA to past 100 yards with some care in the build.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I've got some .32 rifles (as in .32 S&W long or .32 long colt) that do nicely, but unfortunately they are neither common, nor generally repeaters.

I've been thinking about getting another .222 with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist, as the round is nearly perfect for cast with it's long case neck, and slightly reduced capacity compared to the .223. One of the handy things about the .222 is that .223 brass can be made into .222 brass quite easily, thereby also reducing costs.
    I'm thinking the 222 with a 1-14 twist might be ideal too. The long neck just screams cast to me. I already have an unfired CZ 222 sporter that I may dig out and toy with this winter.
    Another thought, and I would have to check Tennessee regulations, but is it legal to use a center fire rifle for small game? I think I remember it is not in Tennessee.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    300 AAC Blackout is my recommendation. Use 110 grain boolets designed for 30 carbine and make your brass from old surplus 5.56 military.

I know it's more that 50 grains but there are some real advantages IMO.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy

i say .223 in an AR

i'm running cast in 223 and getting 22mag performance and full funtion of an AR action. and the cost is about 6.5 cents..

boolit= 62gr ''225-62-1'' from HM˛ molds, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...225-62-1-6-cav
    barrel= 1-8 twist .223 wylde chamber mid-length gas tube.
    powder=IMR-4198 14.4+ grains
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    We must be on the same wavelength !
    I bought a savage mod 24 this spring, 222 on top of 20ga.
    I like it so much, I've been watching auctions for a bolt action rifle in 222. I missed a few.
    BUT, this one fell through the cracks, I got it with only the one bid.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=368185623
    Savage 340 in 222. it's not here yet...but soon.

I'm hoping my 223 load with Red Dot and a 60gr boolit works as good or better in this 222.

Auctions are funny things, I had been watching for any 222 rem on GB. I used the search words "222 rem" Then for some reason I searched for ".222 rem" this rifle and a few others came up with the second word search, but not the first word search. I think that is why I won it with only one bid, it didn't come up on searches because of the decimal point.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    If you are thinking 22 caliber, I load the 222, 223, and 22 Hornet with cast. Of the three, the hornet and the 222 were easiest to get shooting accurately with cast most likely due to the longer neck. It has taken a lot longer with the 223 and is still a work in progress.
    Of course, brass is the cheapest with 223 since it can be picked up off the ground at any shooting pit. Excluding the price of brass, each round will cost about 9 cents. On the other hand, I also have carbines in 9mm and 357 max which I shoot at 22 LR velocities (mv 1200) with plain base boolits. Both of those cost about 8 cents a round, are very accurate, have little recoil, and have some serious "authority" on varmints up to 100# at under 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    Devils Advocate: As I understand the OP request, he want a CF reloadable Cartridge in a reasonable price rifle with a multiple shot capacity, with around 50 grain cast bullets adn about .22 Long rifle performance.
    A 18 inch barreled lever rifle with bore and groove dimensions for the .25ACP/6.35x16mmSR Browning cartridge would yield around 1100fps with factory ammo and if handloaded with the Carolina Cast Bullets .25ACP Ranch Dog 50gr Lead RFN bullet, can be pushed to higher velocitys, o rloaded down for short range quiet hunting use.
    Hint: look for a 'shooter' Stevens Favorite chambered for the .25 Stevens RF cartridge (can be found for from $150 to $300 listed in auctions), and have the barrel set back and chambered for the .25ACP and convert the Gun to CF., Teh .25ACP Factory Loading is about the same length as the .25Stevens short but will duplicate the Ballistics of the .25 Stevens Long.

My own 'project is converting a Marlin Model 56 levermatic to .25ACP. I have the Donor Rifle, barrel Blank and bolt on hand to do the change over, I just need to work up magazines to fit the cartridge to the rifle.

I also am experimenting with a 1894 Stevens Favorite that I bought on Gun Broker that is being converted to CF and I already know it will chamber the .25ACP in it's .25 Stevens Barrel, which slugs .248" Bore and .252" Groove diameters. I am going to live with the 'long chamber' as I am also working on reforming and trimming down .22 Hornet cases to match the .25 Stevens Dimensions. The cut down hornet holds 9.0 grains of fffg Black powder (about 1 grain less than the original Stevens RF loads) lightly compressed behind the 50gr lead slug. i am hoping my Gunsmith will get the CF conversion done by mid December or so. Also writers in 1890 claimed the .25 Stevens was an accurate target cartridge OFF Hand out to 200Yards. and was also a good "Pot Meat' Cartridge as it did not destroy as much of the meat as the .22 Long Rifle did.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

I developed a couple of loads this summer for my Ruger #3 in .223. A 45 gr. with Green Dot that groups one-hole at 50 yds and a 55 gr. also with Green Dot that shoots the same POI but not quite as accurate. Jim's data was the inspiration for my trials. Watch out squirrels!

Boolit Master
    .25-20 Winchester will work in this mode. SS or leverguns are available.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm with the idea the .223 Remington would about cover all you'd want but if the price was right on a Hornet or triple duece was to show itself it wouldn't last long . I loaded round ball in a .308 Winchester for tree rats many years ago and it worked very well . If you already have a thirty caliber you are most of the way to your goal . I added the round ball mould and a H&G number sixty-seven and was duplicating the 32-20 Winchester .

Currently I'm using a Savage with a fast twist and it does about as good , sometimes better than the rimfire . Fifty-eight grain bullet , and either bullseye or 700-X to push it along . Brass lasts a long time and the four cavity mould makes a lot of bullets in a hurry , I use liquid Alox and a bit of paste wax for lube .

Pick about any rifle you like and I think you could make it work .

Jack

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast