RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer opens tomorrow

Banned

deer opens tomorrow

well I figure I have a little time this morning since the hunt opens tomorrow morning and we won't be leaving until this afternoon.
    I thought i'd start the thread now and hopefully have some pictures to put in it in a couple of day's.
    at least one of me anyway
    littlegirl, her boyfriend, myself, and loves to shoot [cody] will be taking off this afternoon for a short pack in hunt.
    runfives wife will drop us off at the trail head and then come find us when we call her in 4 day's. [unless were lost]
    we will be moving and hunting at the same time across a "foothill" area full of little draws, ridges, and canyon's.
    if we spot anything we will hunker down and try to get within shooting range, if not we will make camp and scout the area in the afternoon and morning before moving on.
    we have 3 separate areas we will be targeting in this fashion [if my worn down body holds out] over the next 2 weeks.

Boolit Grand Master

Have a good time, enjoy and catch a good one.

Larry Gibson

Sounds like a hoot!

Is that typically a productive way to hunt?

Sounds like lots of fun Run, I wish you (and your partners) the best of luck. I have used that tactic many times and it is a great way to hunt. Youngest son and I are off in the morning for a short hunt. He is after bull elk and I am looking for a nice white tail. JW

Boolit Buddy

We had the well pump go out tonight so it looks like I am going to miss opening morning.Dang it! Good luck all!

Horsesoldier, be sure to check your pressure cut-off switch before you panic. Ours will trip sometimes if we use to much water all at once. JW

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck, sounds like a lot more fun then sitting in a stand.

Boolit Buddy

The land lord is going to check the switch tommorow morning he has a spare if needed, Then I am hunting! Hey at least I will be available to help tommorow if you guys get a bull down!

Gotta look at the bright side of things lol

Have a great time R5, hope you all have good hunting.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master

That does sound like a lot of fun...best of luck to you all. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    On the radio it says that the feds are running people off of the national forests and other public lands. Wonder what kind of body count that will leave?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Good luck on your hunt,Don't kill more than you can pack.

Boolit Grand Master
    Enjoy the hunt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    On the radio it says that the feds are running people off of the national forests and other public lands. Wonder what kind of body count that will leave?
    Is there a bag limit?

I think the feds are too busy in other spots to worry about where Run is hunting, but then, I've been wrong before. JW

Banned

I hain't seen a single F&G truck except the one I seen at the walmart a week or so back.
    littlegirl has bumped a few bucks off through the trees, without a clear shot.
    her B.F. seen one he followed a bit too far and spent a cold, dark night trying to come off the mountain.
    I smacked one about 75 yds up a draw opening morning ruining both front shoulders in the process, only deer I have seen so far.
    the weather has been nothing but rain/sleet/snow so far.

the kids called a time out until Tuesday.
    guess I wore them out.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 10-19-2013 at 10:51 PM.

That's a touch of a shot congrats. A little lighter packing out huh. it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled. Steak guy.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Banned

it was the only shot presented, the deer was up in some deadfall and was showing no inclination to come down to the water seep I was overlooking.
    the wind kept shifting direction and it acted like something wasn't quite right but I couldn't figure out what was spooking it.
    when we got to where it lay I figured out what the issue was real quick.
    it had been standing near a skunk which immediately sprayed the deer when I shot it.
    the front shoulders being ruined was not a bad thing in this case cause nobody wanted anything to do with that end of the deer.

Good thing the front end was mush I guess. Congrats on the deer, but I'm sure glad I missed out on packing it out. Never had to deal with a freshly sprayed deer but I did run a skunk thru the hay swather once, and that was dang sure bad cuz I plugged it about 50 feet later and then had to clean out.JW

The hike dad was talking about: Didnt get many pictures because it was a lot of walking. We even ended up running into a few moose in a swamp we accidently dropped into.

He didn't wear me out, Trystan wore himself out with a nice twenty mile walk back to town in the middle of the night, he was actually lost.

We seem to have more luck driving to the places we're going to hike, anyone else have this problem?

Three deer in three days. We we're driving when I saw a deer and yelled to Trystan to shoot it, he thought it was a doe at first, but listened and dropped it with a nice center shot, just a little two point at about 70 yards with his short barreled 308 and some ammo dad reloaded, but it was a nice deer.

The next day we we're driving up to a place we'd been looking at, and got slightly lost in; in a snow storm. We we're on our way down the mountain when dad (R5R) looked out his window and saw a nice lookin two point about 60 yards up the hill (of course in he'd shoot one in the snow) He got a solid heart/lung shot and the deer only ran a few yards before collapsing.
    At this time, I had pinched a nerve in my back riding in the truck and walking even moving wasn't very fun, so dad and Trystan had to drag it.

Now being me, getting a deer has to be dramatic.
    We we're headed up a canyon at about noon and I just happened to look up and spot a buck on the side of the hill in some trees. We jumped out and I couldn't see it through my scope, because the power wasn't high enough on it. So dad took a shot and hit it high, it started to spin around and jumped into an opening as it began to run I lined up and shot it; however, it happened to spin and duck and I shot it in the head, obliterating the poor things jaw. We saw it collapse and then we realized, we had a fifteen foot wide river to cross, in winter. So Trystan plunged in and went to find it and I followed shortly after, this dang deer had broken its leg been shot and had no jaw, yet it still up and ran down a hill. Since crossing the river Trystan and I didn't have our rifles on us, luckily it bled out and collapsed on the river bank (closest to the truck) otherwise dad would have had to shoot the thing again.
    I ended up with a 3pt by 2pt deer; however, the 2pt side was actually a spike and a rather large eye guard.

Now we're just hopeing that dad can help my sister get one.
    Last edited by runfiveslittlegirl; 10-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast