MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show Us your Rhinelander 45 ACP Mauser Conversions

Boolit Grand Master
    A hint is Larry and the other poster's (he used the Wilson Service, which is a tapered lip hybrid magazine made by Checkmate) use of tapered lip magazines, the originals John Browning intended to be used in the 1911. These let the rear of the round riser higher in feeding before it is released, giving the round a straighter shot at the chamber than straight lip 1911 magazines, which are really nonstandard. The case rim is also at less of an angle to the extractor when it feeds straighter, which improves its chances of getting there.

Most of you are using the wrong magazines for 1911's and don't know it as whatever you have was hawked to you as the "best" for the 1911. The "best" was what John Browning intended, which were tapered lip magazines. This same design has the best chance (chance....not guarantee, as you're pushing the envelope in running these through a rifle) of feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by skiddyfisk View Post
    Here's my science project:

Rhineland kit on a VZ24 action with a random stock that doesn't really fit.

You can put some pretty silly loads through these. I haven't gotten perfect feeding but it's reasonably reliable with RN and XTP bullets.

If I had the money I'd build another one but rechamber for .45 raptor and use the original internal magazine. That'd probably be good for anything on the continent.
    Someone name DaSOB did this back in 2011. Below is a link to his write-up:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-460-SB-Magnum

Looks like his 460 SB Magnum may have predated the 45 Raptor

Boolit Master
    nice stuff. I just bought a chambered 45 ACP barrel in 16.25 length and am planning to convert a carcano with it and a 1911 magazine. the controlled feed design of the bolt face on carcano seem ideal for solving the feeding issues reported.

Boolit Master

This has been on my list for a while now. I have a sporterized Turk that should fit the bill nicely if I can find the time to get around to it. This it's creaming to be suppressed.

Boolit Grand Master

Just waiting on the Fed paperwork to suppress mine....already have the barrel threaded.

Attachment 249662
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Know this is a old thread but any new pics?

Maybe someday some mfg. will offer a bolt action .45acp rifle that works great right out of the box? I know, I'm a dreamer.....

Putting one together on a Mexican small ring 98. Praying the whole time I am doing it, that all works well.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Maybe someday some mfg. will offer a bolt action .45acp rifle that works great right out of the box? I know, I'm a dreamer.....
    I would be a buyer for one of those!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone have the original pictures linked to in this post? The attachments no longer work:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Photo's; Here is the sheet metal ramp.

Attachment 86919

The block made to conceal the hole in the mag well behind the ACP mag.

Attachment 86920

The case into the bolt face before it meets resistance from the extractor. The case must slip in this far while being pushed out of the mag to ensure the rim slips under the extractor and the cartridge nose does not cant off to the right.

Attachment 86921Attachment 86922

The case with the cartridge up under the extractor when chambered just before the bolt is closed.

Attachment 86923

Close up of reshaped extractor.

Attachment 86925

New ejector made to max dimensions action allows.

Attachment 86926

Hope this helps. Will be glad to answer questions.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 257427Attachment 257428Attachment 257429Attachment 257430Attachment 257431Attachment 257432

Subsequent to the above modifications I removed the barrel and made three additional modifications; two to the face of the barrel and the other to the inside of the M98 action. First I put a small ball grinder in a Dremel and round off the sharp corners on the inside of the action where the extractor slot is cut in the inner receiver ring so the bullet wouldn't hang up in it. Second modification was to the barrel. I beveled the edge of the chamber slightly removing the sharp edge of the chamber mouth so the bullet or case would hang up there. then I "throated" (ala a M1911 barrel) the area of the face of the barrel that is in the extractor slot.

These modifications have made my M98 Rhineland conversion almost 100% reliable in feeding with the exception of very short SWC bullets. The last modification I will make will be to gets a finish reamer. The barrel with the factory chamber, when headspaced, leaves about 1 turn left before the barrel seats firmly against inner shoulder in the receiver. I will seat the barrel firmly against that shoulder (like a M98 barrel is supposed to be) and then finish ream the chamber to headspace. Setting the barrel back that additional bit will further reduce the amount of jump the cartridge has to make from magazine to chamber. That may make it feed 100% reliably? Still a work in progress as I learn more and more about it. It is such a joy to shoot, especially suppressed, that it's quickly becoming my most shot for fun rifle...….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thank you sir!

Boolit Master
    I put one together on a yugo mauser. Basically a single shot but it is quiet and accurate. Makes a good close range deer gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I set the barrel back on my M98 Rhineland so it buts up against the internal barrel stop (Kuhnhausen calls it an "internal barrel torque shoulder") as a Mauser is supposed to and then tightened the barrel nut. That set the barrel back 0.125. I rented a finish reamer and finish reamed the chamber to headspace. While the barrel was out of the action I used beveled the chamber mouth at 45 degrees to the top edge of the extractor groove in a chambered case. The out diameter of the bevel is just a tudge smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel stop shoulder. I then "throated" (beveled further out) the open area where the extractor cut is in the "internal barrel torque shoulder". That left no sharp edge for a kitty wampas bullet when feeding to catch on.

Shot 250 rounds of various cast bullet styles through it a couple days ago with 100% feeding reliability.....

Also have the suppressor on it now......less noise than my RWS M54 22 cal air rifle......

Attachment 259269
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123