RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what followed me home

Look what followed me home

Went into my local gun shop this morning and this was sitting there for a smoking deal - it just followed me home. Thought I'd better try it out so I loaded up some of my Lee TL 158gr SWC with 3.4gr of BE in some .38 special and tried my hand at 7 yards. The difference in "groups" (I used that term loosely) is one is a 6 o'clock hold and the other is a center hold. Now that I know it works time to try some .357s!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master

Sweet deal! And, apparently it shoots. Looks like a keeper to me.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Nice groups! That speaks as much of the shooter as it does the gun. I don't think I will ever know how accurate any of my pistols are until I get a Ransom Rest or something.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Gotta say it's the first GP 100 I've ever owned - my only complaint so far is I wonder why I waited so long to get one. The owner of the gun store told me he had sold this to a customer a few months back who had the grip and sights installed (original sights are still in the box) and as smooth as the trigger is I gotta believe somebody helped it out some. I asked the owner why the guy who had it ahead of me got rid of it and the owner said he wanted a .44 Mag so he traded it in - therefore I got a smoking deal!
    Thanks for the compliment on my "groups" but since I turned 50 most of my pistol shooting is at 7 or 10 yards - seems my eyes can't see anything - I get a fuzzy blob of a front sight to slip into a fuzzy blob of a rear sight to aim at a fuzzy blob target. With these blasted progressive lens I can't seem to get a focus on anything - I'm going to have to ask my eye doc if she can put something together for me to see at least the front sight.
    Getting older - Sigh...

Nice! My go to plinking load for my GP100 is 3.7 grains of Bullseye and the Lee 125gr RNFP bullet in a .38 special case. You shoot yours better than I shoot mine.

Boolit Master

An orphan no more!!!!! It surely has found a home! Success at last!!!

Boolit Master

I just bought one myself but in Komefornia, I have to wait the obligatory 10 days to bring it home. I bought mine real right as a friend and gun shop owner called when he got it. The previous owner was a female who never fired the gun. Looking forward to loadin and shootin!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

bought one myself a few years ago and im more than happy with it.
    1,000,000 peso man

Bz - Wait 10 daze - now that's painful! Bought mine this morning and went shooting with it this afternoon. If you don't mind a little rain now and then - like almost every day - Washington sounds like it's easier on gun owners! And yes, if you ain't willing to shoot in the rain you probably won't shoot much around here.
    Ole - I don't have a 125gr mold but that should be something I need on my short list of "to acquire" - probably could get a bit more velocity too.
    mikey - it has found a home! I'm still pinching myself - I priced out the Williams sights and custom grip and still can't believe I scored a "used" gun with so little trigger time - usually I just get to hear about the deal somebody else got - first time for everything

Boolit Master

Nice shooting and congrats on the new found "friend".
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy

Great score on a shooter and a nice looking gun. Really nice looking grips. Congrats.

Boolit Master
    There's a special place in my heart for GP100s. I am very fond of mine. Mine has been a well trusted field sidearm for a few years now.
    Love the grips by the way.
    "In GOD We Trust"

My brother loves his! Nice shootin!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Really liking the GP 100 - took it out again today. I bought a piece of equipment from Hornady and they had sent me a box of their 110gr .357 HPs - I loaded them up with 8gr of Win 231 and they shot pretty well. Then I got to the fun part - I also loaded Lee TL 158gr SWC with 5gr of Win 231 - they shot really well and kind of felt underpowered (too many other shooters to set up my chronograph) so I figure I'll have to try bumping it up a bit over the chrono.
    Does anybody have any favorite loads for the .357 Mag using 158gr SWC with either 231 or VV110? Seems like those are the only two powders I have on hand for the magnum.

Wow, what a shooter!
    I have got to quit reading these GP 100 threads. It is bound to cost me some money soon. Especially since I already have the dies, a bunch of brass, about 1000 boolits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Gotta say it's the first GP 100 I've ever owned - my only complaint so far is I wonder why I waited so long to get one. The owner of the gun store told me he had sold this to a customer a few months back who had the grip and sights installed (original sights are still in the box) and as smooth as the trigger is I gotta believe somebody helped it out some. I asked the owner why the guy who had it ahead of me got rid of it and the owner said he wanted a .44 Mag so he traded it in - therefore I got a smoking deal!
    Thanks for the compliment on my "groups" but since I turned 50 most of my pistol shooting is at 7 or 10 yards - seems my eyes can't see anything - I get a fuzzy blob of a front sight to slip into a fuzzy blob of a rear sight to aim at a fuzzy blob target. With these blasted progressive lens I can't seem to get a focus on anything - I'm going to have to ask my eye doc if she can put something together for me to see at least the front sight.
    Getting older - Sigh...
    Welcome to the club. Tri-focal are even worse. I know from experience.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Try this , take a cheap pair of safety glasses & wide painters tape , take a hole puncher & punch a hole in a peice big enuff to cover the lens , center it so you can see out of it .

Shut the opposite eye ,I know it was as unnatural as wiping with the wrong hand to shut 1 eye to shoot but it got me back to the point I can almost call my shots!

I do this shooting at targets , I got my eye doc to fix some so-so glasses I hunt with & seems to be so-so as far as it goes .

What ya call that little thing ya stik on ya glasses to peep thru ???

The "fixed up" safety glasses work so well though!
    GP100man

I really like the grips, Rainier! I've got a Sec. Six with Hogue rubber grips and have been considering wood stocks for it lately......

Oh yeah, raining or about to rain is how I describe our Puget Sound weather to folk in the rest of the country! he he.....
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Banned
    Nice score ! The GP-100 is a great revolver. Strong, accurate and super-durable. If you feel like tinkering with it a little - springs and shims go a long way towards making that good gun even better. These folks are good to deal with : http://triggershims.com/
    The shim kits allow you the shim the hammer pivot, trigger and the hammer dog (double action sear). The shims are not difficult to install if you take your time. Plus it gives you a chance to get to know your gun. I can't remember which set of reduced power Wolfe springs I used but I think it was just a little under the factory weights. My GP is 100% reliable with those modifications and a joy to shoot.

Update

I made it to the range today with a couple of different loads. First let me say I'm really liking my GP 100!
    The distance was 7 yards and the hold was six o'clock.
    The first target was the Lee TL 158gr SWC with 5.5gr of Win 231 and a small Win pistol primer. The published data says it should be around 1100 fps - my chrony won't pick up anything subsonic so I don't really know.
    The second target is the same Lee TL 158gr SWC with 15gr of VV N-110 and a small Win rifle primer. The chrony said it averaged 1332 fps.
    I had some leading from the N-110 load in about the last 1 1/2" of the barrel - nothing a chore-boy didn't handle. Does anyone know why there would only be leading at the end of the barrel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast