Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Contender 357 Herrett barrel

Boolit Man

Contender 357 Herrett barrel

Gentleman, I bought a one of these barrels the other day. I have heard of lots of different ways to fire form brass. What is the best way that will expand the case and maximize the life of the brass in a contender barrel? Thanks in advance, Mike

Hi Mike,

You don't say whether you have the correct die set for the 357 Herrett, or how you intend to form cases. Case forming is not a simple matter of fire forming brass, as the 357 Herrett does not retain the full length of the parent case.

You have two choices for parent cases: 30-30 Winchester and 375 Winchester. If you want maximum case life you should try to locate some 375 Winchester cases.

Lube the cases inside and out with a VERY THIN coating of Imperial Sizing Die wax, and run the cases into the 357 Herrett full-length sizer die. Next, run the cases into the 357 Herrett trim die, and cut off the excess with a hacksaw. Put the cases in your case trimmer and trim to 1.750". If your cases were formed from 30-30 cases, you are ready to fire form. If you cases were formed from the thicker and stronger 375 Winchester cases, you need to check neck thickness, and if necessary, turn the necks. Finally, debur and load the cases with starting charges of a powder you intend to use for load development.

The fire-form loads should be quite accurate and plenty powerful for deer hunting. Don't just blast them for the sake of forming cases. You would be wasting good ammo.

Take care, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 10-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.

The 357 Herrett is a great round!

Like stated above, I also like making mine from 375 Win brass.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to get a TC manual and read how to properly set up the head space. If you don't have one I can take a pic and post it for you.

A lot of loading books will tell you to pick a min powder charge and a heavy bullet to form brass. I personally like the 358009 with 5gr of Red or Blue Dot. Gives me around 1000 to 1100 fps and great for shooting turtles or plinking.

I am also working with the 200gr RCBS bullet as well FWIW.

Duane
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Even better than T/C is the Mike Belm site:

http://bellmtcs.com/store/

Bellm's sight is nothing but awe inspiring and awesome.

The problem I have that there are SO many things to look at it can be hard to find. LOL. He at least has a search option. The guy should publish a book!!!

From the sight...

A VERY USEFUL TIP:
    When adjusting size dies and seating dies, use the threads on your reloading dies like a micrometer.

Think this through. You will find it invaluable.

A common micrometer is based on a 40 pitch thread (40 threads per inch), meaning 1 inch is divided into 40 parts. That is why the marks around the drum of a micrometer only go to 25. One full turn, ie, one thread, equals 1/40th of an inch, or .025."

Size dies have a 14 pitch thread, so dividing 1.000" into 14 parts gives .071" movement up or down with each full turn.

One half turn moves the die up or down .0355."
    One half of a half turn, ie, 1/4 turn moves it half of this, .0175."
    One half of 1/4 turn, ie, 1/8th turn, is half this, .0089."

In the process of adjusting your size die, you can see that once you are down that close, the dial indicator & base will let you tweak the die very precisely for the final protrusion of the case head from the end of the barrel that you are after.

--------------

In short, keep turning your seating die a 1/4 turn until the brass shuts cleanly in the frame-barrel set up.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    I have Pacific dies, 375 brass, the RCBS 35 200 that I plan on using. Thanks for jogging my memory on case forming. I had read about snug on the shoulder of the case and a firm snap to close the frame on the barrel but had forgotten. Also thanks the Bellm link. Now all I need is for the barrel to show up. Thanks again, Mike

Boolit Buddy
    If you fire-form .30-30 brass correctly, it goes a long way to case life...

The way I was taught to form for the .357 Herrett over 20 years ago, is to push the should back only till it will close with a snap of the contender...

This way, before it is fired, the shoulder is all the way forward in the chamber, and will stretch the case at the web far less than a loosely fitting case...

The case needs to be necked up and trimmed to length before the final 'push' on the shoulder...

It's easier to show than to describe...

Boolit Master
    It's been years since I had my 357 Herret, but it was a fine round. I never found forming brass paticularly difficult nor did I recall having issues with case life. On the contrary my 6.5 GR would have incipient case head sepperations after 3 firings no matter what brand of 30-30 brass I started with or what technique I used to fireform cases. It was however amazingly accurate.

Get some AA1680, it is the fuel to use, and a 200 gr WFN is IMHO the way to go in cast boolits.

If you want a detailed, pictoral overview of the process, see here.

Boolit Master
    Haha, wonder if the OP figured it out within the last five years

Boolit Grand Master

Ressurrected thread...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!