WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IMR 4198 vs H4198? What's the difference?

Boolit Master
    some one should delete this post or its going to keep coming back like JASON CANT KILLEM

The main difference between these two powders in 2024 is, one is available the other is not. (Thanks ukraine)
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would add my 1 cents worth.
    About 2-3 years ago I contacted Hodgdon cust serv. and asked about the IMR 4227 and H 4227.
    Their answer was that the older IMR and H were different but the now they are so close that the IMR 4227 can use H 4227. They also noted "This only pertains to 4227 a nd NOT other powders that share the same number."
    Hope that helps someone, I can post a copy from the reply I got if anyone is interested.

this is what I LOVE/HATE about this site, and others...

followup is missing

in this thread, we have been told re/4198's that H is slower, I is slower, H/I are the same..... Sheesh

then someone comes along and says "Thread too old, probably bad idea to bring it back to life"
    then someone else says "Delete it"

So, what is happening??? why are folks scared to talk about changes, or issues?

if it WAS the same but different NOW, that is important.
    if it WAS different but the same NOW, that is important.
    if one was slower/faster.... that too is important.

now, it seems even Hodgdon's is confused by the thread here.

Old threads brought back to life to CLARIFY questions/answers is VERY important and could save someone's life!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Funny...

And in all those 6 years, no one has taken the time to call or email Hodgdon to find the answer from the folks who supply the powders & publish the data....

So, folks just dicker back & forth about it.

Go figure....
    Funny...

all these posts, and no one seems to really read them

Post 22 mentions calling Hodgdon....
    Post 27 laughs because no one called Hodgdon....
    I laugh because no one reads the whole thread!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    I am surprised it took six years but here is the answer......The difference between IMR 4198 vs H4198 is +/- 1 grain of powder.

As long as you start low and work up like you are supposed to do the difference will be inconsequential compared with the other variables like bullet choice, seating depth, and throat dimensions of your rifle.

Boolit Mold
    I have not seen these two powders, side by side. Do they look the same?

Boolit Buddy

They are not the same they never were and there is clear load data for both.

Use the right data for the right powder as you always should.

Can we have an admin lock this down?
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    I know this is an old post but I thought I would add my 1 cents worth.
    About 2-3 years ago I contacted Hodgdon cust serv. and asked about the IMR 4227 and H 4227.
    Their answer was that the older IMR and H were different but the now they are so close that the IMR 4227 can use H 4227. They also noted "This only pertains to 4227 a nd NOT other powders that share the same number."
    Hope that helps someone, I can post a copy from the reply I got if anyone is interested.
    Curious if the person mentioned if it was IMR4227 that changed to become more like H4227, the opposite, or that both changed. I guess it’s important to use load data from sources with a similar date to a powder lot (say within a decade), but my uninformed opinion is that no lawyer at any powder company would allow a powder with materially different characteristics to be sold with an existing powder number.

Anyone know why we ended up with different powders having the same numbers, what do the numbers mean anyway?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Anyone know why we ended up with different powders having the same numbers, what do the numbers mean anyway?
    The IMR brand was first introduced under DuPont in the 1930’s. IMR is an acronym for Improved Military Rifle. The first IMR reloading powders included ever popular favorites IMR3031 (1934), IMR4064 (1935) and IMR4350 (1940). Each of these are still favorites with handloaders today!

Hodgdon purchased IMRŽ Powder Company in October 2003. IMR legendary powders have been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for almost 100 years. IMR powders continue to be manufactured in the same plant and with the same exacting performance criteria and quality assurance standards that shooters have come to expect.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123