Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Casting v J bullets a no brainer.

Boolit Buddy

Casting v J bullets a no brainer.

I was killing time in town today with my kid, so of course we went to the gun store(two of them actually!). I was looking through their selection of Hornady bullets, thought I might pick up a box of .303(.312 hpbt 175 gr). They were $40! Screw that, I'm buying a 180 gr lee mold from Titan. I get enough WW's for free from my buddy to cast all my rifle stuff. Right now I'm casting for .38-55,9.3x62,7.62x39,.308(and .30-30), .32 winchester sp,.40 cal,.50 rb, 00 and slug. I don't see my buying many J bullets in the future for anything.

Boolit Master

Just got my Lee mold for the .308 now to find some free wheel weights and I'm in business.

Was that 40 bucks for 50 or 100 bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    It was for 100, but they have gone from the mid$20s to $40(I'm in Alberta) in a very short time.
    I like to shoot my Enfield for fun, but free boolits and less powder works for me.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Come over to the dark side.

We have cookies!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I was just at a local store today and they wanted $44.99 for a box of 100 107gr .264 Sierra MKs - needless to say they are still on the shelf - They were so proud of their Nosler .308 bullets they wanted over $40.00 for a box of 50 - by the time you add tax your talking almost a $1.00 a bullet.
    Crazy!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Buddy
    That's why I sold my .300 win mag. 180 gr accubonds at a buck apeice over 79 gr powder. Now using a cast 290 grain 9.3 boolit with 60% of the powder, and still getting more energy!
    J bullets were ok for me when they were affordable, but for a gun fanatic like me that wants to own and shoot a bunch of different calibers they are just too expensive now.

I began casting when finding bullets was difficult several years ago. Once you are set up, it is a no-brainer. Casting is the only way to go. Once set up it's as cheap as shooting .22 ammunition. I've seen better accuracy even with my caffeine twitch. I also found out how much more satisfying it is to do most of the work for myself.