RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Optic.

Just bought and mounted one. When I look through the rear lens, there is a flat portion of the view, from about 3 o'clock to about 6 o'clock. A small shiny piece of black plastic is visible inside.

Can anyone please tell me if this is normal?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it is. Both of mine are like that, doesn't hurt a thing. Just the way they are made. Just mounted my second one yesterday after getting the New Model Blackhawk 30 Carbine drilled & tapped for the mount. Only got 5 rounds fired so far, just to check the mount. Killed a gallon milk jug at only about 65-70 feet. All five shots 2 inches left & 4 inches high. Now I can sight it in proper.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Thanks, feel relieved. LOL Now I have to get out and shoot it.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well having just mounted it.

This is the view through the scope, and the plastic piece inside. Normal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1367.jpg   IMG_1368.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Yep Speedo, that is just what mine look like. I noticed it when I got my first one & haven't even noticed it since. When shooting I really only notice the dot & target. Why did they make it like that? Dunno, be a question for Bushnell but trust me, it hurts nothing.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Thanks again!

Speedo: the thing you are seeing is the box were the light emitter is located.

You will quickly learn that the only thing you are concerned with while using a Red dot sight is the dot itself.

It is essentially the Front Sight and that is what we always concentrate on. Right?

Also You will find that the brighter the dot is the less defined it becomes. IE; it doesn't appear to be perfectly round. When sighting in, try to turn the intensity down as low as possible.

Even in bright desert sunlight where the back ground is always "Sand Color," I seldom have mine above about level 7-8. As light starts to fade in the afternoon or morning hours you can turn down the intensity a lot more.

You can shoot all the way to completely dark with a red dot sight as long as you have a defined silhouette to aim at.

I generally sight mine in by shooting at something laying in the dirt around 100 yards away. A clay pigeon works well for this, and it gets you on target quickly as you can see exactly where the bullets are hitting. I have shot at dirt clods as well. I can get within a couple of inches like this and the shots on paper are usually only two groups. One to establish where the gun is and one to verify the correction to zero.

For my .223 caliber Carbines I use a 200 yard zero which is about 1" high at 100 yds. I verify at 200 by shooting at clay pigeons.

For a Levergun like a .44 cal. or even a .30-30 a 100 yard zero would be appropriate. You'd be good to 150 yds which is generally considered about right for those guns.

For a .22 sighting in dead on at 75 yards means you're 1" high at 50 yds. and 3" low at 100. A red dot sight on a Ruger 10/22 is a pretty hard combo to beat for plinking or hunting within the normal ranges associated with .22's.

Randy

Has anyone noticed how many people are trying and liking these sights, just from this thread?
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks for the confirmation and info.

It's on a .22 pistol, nice size, doesn't overwhelm it.

Currently been below freezing for the last few days, hope to get to the range soon and sight it in.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Just ran across a Reddit post about (slightly) modifying Butler Creek #4 flip up scope covers to work on the TRS-25: https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...ip_covers_dyi/

LOVE these little red dots!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Amazon Prime price $57.50 with free shipping. Riser model $70.48

Just FYI...

Banned

I agree. there a good sight for the money but wont take a beating like an aimpoint or acog will. Ive got a couple on 22s but id be hesitant to use one on a gun my familys lives might depend on.
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Aimpoints are much better and Mil-spec reliable. The TRS-25 great for me for target or hunting or 3gun. but, if my life depended on it than I would get aimpoint.

Banned

I doubt many are going into battle with a spare red dot on them. That and like anything else things that fail tend to fail when you need them most. I wouldn't go out west hunting elk using a tasco scope from Walmart and taking along a spare. Id put the best optic I could afford on a gun and be confident it isn't going to fail. Like I said there decent sights for 22s and casual shooting but how could you expect a sight and mount that costs less then just a good mount is going to be something to trust your life to. I use a few vortex red dots too. I consider them a step up from a bushnell but even those aren't on my home protection guns. I use aimpoints and acogs on the guns I have to trust my life to. Nice thing too about both of those is there on all the time. My aimpoints can be left on for over 2 years on a set of batterys and when something goes bump in the night I don't have to fumble around turning on sights. I once saw a video of two guys testing a comp 2 aimpoint. They mounted two of them on ars and sighted them in. then they stood about 50 feet apart on a concrete parking lot. they took there aimpoints off and skipped them across the concrete to each other and then back again. both were remounted and both held perfect zero. try that with a 80 dollar sight and mount. Sure your not going to do that to a sight. But it gives me much more piece of mind if my gun happens to get knocked over or something is dropped on it. Cheap scopes and dot sights have there place but its not on a serious working gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I would just carry a second TRS-25 already sighted in so I could switch them out if one failed. Aimpoints fail too! and you probably aren't going to have a $600 backup if it does.

Another little tidbit here about these sights. The front lens is deliberately installed a little cockeyed. I called Bushnell to inquire about sending mine back and the CS guy didn't even hesitate to explain when I told him the problem.

They are intentionally installed a little off kilter to defeat indirect reflections of stray light inside the tube, and to reflect the dot into the center of the field of view... It must be the truth since everyone of my 5 of these sights is done exactly the same way.

It is a zero magnification optic the front and rear lenses are simply flat pieces of glass. The dot emitter is in the lower right hand side of the tube at the rear. The top left of the front lens is tilted back in to counter act this positioning of the emitter.

If the emitter was positioned in the center then the front lens would be tilted back at the top center and would pick up stray light from all directions above the gun and directly into your field of view. As it sits the lens reflects stray light into the sides of the tube which don't reflect at all.

Randy

Banned
    I use the Bushnell on my HiPoint 995TS. It is a good sight but a few times it has quit working, then came back on. I was thinking about buying a back up Bushnell and then I found this.

I don't know if you guys would be interested but for the money I am going to try it. I bought one for me and one for my son.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For less than $23 I thought "What the heck".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123