WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Pickled Northern pike

Banned

Pickled Northern pike

Anyone have a good recipe for Pike?

Not pickled!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Filet, salt, pepper, flour, pan fry, eat.

L Ross
    Waksupi's recipe is spot on. If you wish to emulate commercial pickled herring's taste, buy some white port wine and play with substituting the wine for some of the sugar and vinegar in the final brine.

Duke

Moderator Emeritus

Some more info here !!!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...kle&highlight=
    I like some oil in mine, gives it a canned tunafish thing !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Never understood why people worry about the Y bones. Pan fry and once you know where they are they slide right out as you eat.

Boolit Master
    Be carefull with pickled fish, the process does not kill any parasites that maybe present. Of particular concern are tapeworm cysts, pike are particularly susceptible. There have been several out breaks here on the range from pickled fish. Cooking will kill the cysts or freezing below 0f (colder the better) for several days will do it as well.

Last season an old Finn came into the aid room complaining of stomach pain and fatigue. I noticed his cloths fit loosely (ie recent weight loss), I asked if he'd had any raw foods lately and said pickled pike at New Years. I referred him to emergency services and told him to go immediately. Called ahead to brief the on call and advised to check for Diphyllobothrium Latium. She was skeptical. Couple hours layer the ER calls back confirming the tapeworms and stated it probably would have killed the guy.
    Some where between here and there.....

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Never understood why people worry about the Y bones. Pan fry and once you know where they are they slide right out as you eat.
    I cut them out when I fillet.... takes little effort or time

as for panfrying? I NEVER use flour anymore... makes 'em greasy... just fish, seasoning salt and pepper, and I use canola oil for frying, as tallow/lard are never available for shore lunch
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Be carefull with pickled fish, the process does not kill any parasites that maybe present. Of particular concern are tapeworm cysts, pike are particularly susceptible. There have been several out breaks here on the range from pickled fish. Cooking will kill the cysts or freezing below 0f (colder the better) for several days will do it as well.

Last season an old Finn came into the aid room complaining of stomach pain and fatigue. I noticed his cloths fit loosely (ie recent weight loss), I asked if he'd had any raw foods lately and said pickled pike at New Years. I referred him to emergency services and told him to go immediately. Called ahead to brief the on call and advised to check for Diphyllobothrium Latium. She was skeptical. Couple hours layer the ER calls back confirming the tapeworms and stated it probably would have killed the guy.
    can you freeze THEN pickle?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    can you freeze THEN pickle?

Correct. Freeze then thaw and pickle. Fish will get a bit mushy after thawing but will firm up once the vinegar works its wonders.
    Some where between here and there.....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Something I am going to try this winter ice fishing, is doing an alum soak for maybe 12-24 hours. Makes pickles crunchy, it may firm the fish flesh!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Some more info here !!!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...kle&highlight=
    I like some oil in mine, gives it a canned tunafish thing !
    I have no idea why anyone would want to make it taste like tuna.....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I have no idea why anyone would want to make it taste like tuna.....
    Well, actually it doesn't taste like tunafish, it tastes like canned smoked fish and the small amount of oil gives it the texture of tunafish. It works well on sandwiches or casserole whereas pickled fish doesn't. Personally, I'm not a big fan of pickled fish...I can eat a bite or two as an appetizer, but I can't imagine using it in an entree ...and I prefer Herring as a pickle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001