RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbo's jumbo gumbo

Boolit Master

Dumbo's jumbo gumbo

I never thought I would need a ladder to pick Okra. It is over 8 feet tall this year and yields 3-4 pounds every two days. I eat it fried, pickle them, and slice and freeze. I will need around 20 pounds of frozen for venison and duck gumbo that I cook up in 5 gallon batches.

Not to shabby, one year my wife had some reach 13ft, I had to measure it, amazing. Love the stuff.

Boolit Master
    If ya wanna give it an extra kick, you could put a few grains of Hodgdon Retumbo in your Dumbo jumbo gumbo.

Boolit Master

The jumbo gumbo is not dumbo. I'm dumbo, just ask my loving wife.

My grandfather always held that you could make a dog mean by putting gunpowder in his food. He also held that you could break a mule by jumping on it's back and biting down on the mule's ear and holding on until the mule quit bucking. He said that it took a quart of shine' to get the taste of mule out of your mouth.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    I never thought I would need a ladder to pick Okra. It is over 8 feet tall this year and yields 3-4 pounds every two days. I eat it fried, pickle them, and slice and freeze. I will need around 20 pounds of frozen for venison and duck gumbo that I cook up in 5 gallon batches.

jaysouth, if you can some of that gumbo and let me know, I'll buy it.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    I've had it reach 9' before. This year, Dad, had it 8' the last pic he sent and that was over a month ago.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

I had to look up "okra". Yeah I've heard of it, but never knew what it was. I doubt it would grow up here in the frozen tundra, so I'll probably never get to try it. Wiki has a good write up on it, sounds like I would like it. Those are some impressive looking plants! Bon appetite!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Wish it would grow here without a hot house

In Remembrance
    You can't even buy it in Alaska, much less grow it. lol

We don't get okra here. Tell me about it.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

The fruit is a green pod, which is usually (in my experience) cut into pieces in cross section, rolled in a cornmeal batter, and then fried. It is used other ways, but, I prefer the fried version. That's the way Momma always fixed it. After reading this post, I cannot remember how big Pop's okra grew, nor where he grew it. Probably down in the hollow behind the old chicken house. That's where he grew the squash. He grew one variety called 'spaghetti squash'. When cooked properly, the 'meat' of the squash came out in strings very much like spaghetti. If you had a good cook, and a good imagination, it even tasted like spaghetti. We had okra for many years, but can't remember where he grew it, unless it was down in the hollow. That would have ended about the time I went into the service. Momma wanted a pond, with ducks. Pop generally gave Momma what she asked for. Too long ago. Can't remember where he grew that okra. GGGGgggggrrrrrr!

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Okra is a cousin to Cotton, so much so that the blooms look almost alike. It loves long & hot summers, the hotter the better it will grow. I planted a variety called "Cowhorn" a few years ago that reached up to be 10' tall. My Clemson Spineless is about 6' tall this year, but it hasn't produced well for some reason or the other.

I like it fried with a Potato cut up & fried with it.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Okra and stewed tomatoes over rice topped with smoked sausage is so good it should be illegal. Steamed okra with butter is good, but an acquired taste. Has a texture of lumpy snot. Mmmm good.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

okra and stewed tomatoes, grandma would tell everyone to cross there legs before they take a bite.
    OldArkie

Boolit Master

I grow type called bush okra,it grows to about 5 foot tall it is a cowhorn type okra but best when picked about 5 to 7 inches long.Okra is a warm weather plant.It may would grow in a hot house with grow lights.A little vinegar will cut the slime.This okra will start bearing when about 18 inches tall.
    I read where the DEA cut down a bunch of it for dope around Dallas/Fort Worth area.Shows how smart they are?

Boolit Master

I always plant the Clemson Spineless variety, always in the same place. I have had okra in the same spot for 9 years now. When the season is over, I cut the plants at ground level and haul away. The roots rot out and add organic matter to the soil, which I emend every year with a little composted horse manure. I figure that the roots will go down at least 6-8 feet, which makes a very sturdy plant. Because the roots are so deep, I almost never have to water. Getting good ph balance is important and a chore to test soil down 6 feet. I normally have 16-18 pants which will yield 2-3 pounds every other day in good times.

When I was a child, the very poor ate okra boiled stem and all. Cooked this way it is so slimy that some stomachs are turned. I prefer it sliced crosswise, dredged in flour and cornmeal, salted and peppered and fried in peanut oil/butter mix. Done properly, I had rather have it than popcorn. Dusted with a little cayenne, it makes cold beer taste even better.

JeffinNZ - you have to be from the south USA to appreciate okra. Same with almost anything green here, + zucchini. I'm a Yankee. Actually, some asians use it to make hooch.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

Good read on wikipedia. I've never looked for it in the stores, maybe It was always there, just wasn't looking for it.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I love me some okra! Fried is the best, but layered with tomatoes, onion, and zucchini and ground lamb is how my Armenian family makes it, and that is really good as well. We call it bahmian (or something like that, at least that is how it's pronounced!) and believe the secret to not getting the slime is to layer it then cook slowly without stirring it, because stirring it breaks up the okra, which leads to the slime from inside. Seems to be true because I have never had slimy okra at my grandma's house!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

Got to say that I love my okra too. Just make sure you wear gloves when picking it. I made the mistake of not doing that once, and only once.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast