Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Stevens Barrel/cartridge Problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    By the time you are done you could have just bought one complete for less money, but where's the fun in that ?
    I 'think' the end costs would be much less that a new CPA 44-1/2 Rifle AND there is the learning experiences along the way tokeep my mind active.

Yes, the 'Fun' is a major part of any 'kit building effort' also.

I remember my Brother bought a Heathkit Color TV Kit and assembled my family's first Color TV and we enjoyed it for many years.
    My father had assembled, then disassembled and stored, one of the 'original' Ed Heath Kit Airplanes just before the October 1929 Stock Market 'crash'; a Heath Super Parasol. Which gave him enjoyment at the time and useful knowledge to help him find work through the 'Depression', my parents married in 1934 and had my brother in 1936 so they did have 'fun' in the times.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Over the last few days I have reformed some .32 S&W Long Brass to .32 Long Colt diameters and some .22 Hornet Brass has been started on the reforming process to make '.25 Stevens' size cases (.276 diameter and varying in length from .515" up to 1.36" cases). Now I am waiting again for my nest infusion of funds (retirement seems to be mostly waiting time now).
    I have had no Work Calls since end of December and the Union Dispatcher says he has had none incoming this year yet, Not A Good Sign at all, for those of us still needing income 'improvements' to cover increases in Taxes, Fuel and Food costs (which are not included as part fo the "Cost of Living Calculations" by the Federal Government).

From my perspective the "Free Trade Agreements" and "Most Favored Nation" Import Duty agreements have done more to Export Income and Jobs to other nations than to actually Improve our nation's economy.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

added 2014JUN12: the new minimum length for the .25 Stevens sizes will be used for some cases that neck split when being expanded from used .22 Hornet Brass. The Splits cleanded up at just over .760" case length so I took some down to equal the .25 Stevens Short length for giggles, and left most of them at .750" for an 'intermendiate" length Stevens cartridge 'wildcat'. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-13-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have submitted my .750" case length ".25 Stevens "Intermediate" in both RF and CF Type 'Wildcat' for inclusion in "Ammoguide Interactive" Cartridge data base. Now to wait and see if they are accepted.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Added 2014AUG12: Still no response on the submittals, I guess it did not qualify. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-12-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    To update: I have been able to reform some .22 Hornet Brass to .25 Stevens sizes and some .327 Federal Magnum brass to .32 Extra Long sizes. A few of both have been made into Adapter cases for .22RF Blanks.
    The Adapters are first pilot drilled using a combination Pilot Drill and Counterbore for #8 Cap Screws.
    Then the pilot hole is enlarge with a #2 Drill Bit.
    Finally I run a ".22LR 'Freebore' Match Grade Chamber reamer in to bring the bore to a tight push fit on the Blank cartridges, which are .22 CAL. Powder Tool Load Blanks of from Grade 1 to Grade 5 levels.

The Blanks are inserted using my Thumb to start and my "RC" press to finish pushing them flush with the rear fo the Adapter.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-11-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    There has been a Long period of "low discretionary Funds availability for me this year so little progress has occurred on my projects.
    I did get to test two rifles and return them to my gunsmith for problem corrections.
    Also my 1916 "Modified" Favorite has a new firing pin fitted and at the Gunsmiths for heat treatment.
    I have been able to purchase a "long Range" Tang Sight for mounting on one of my '44' actions, a 'Side Extractor' one that is assembled from 'bits and pieces' picked up 'here and there' over the months.
    It is presently set up as a RF style action but I am thinking of having it converted to CF Style and then using it to test "lengthened .25ACP" experimental cartridges in a Stevens .25 Stevens Barrel. The Bore and Groove diameters for the two Cartridges are the same, just the difference of ignition style is holding me back. I would like to be able to switch between the two styles, RF and CF, in the same Breech Block, now I need to work out how to cut the Firing Pin Bore to allow that.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Small incremental progress in spite of lack of Spendable funds.

I have the Side Extractor '44' action sitting around attached to its butt stock and have a set of Extractor 'blanks' marked and waiting for funds to get them finished for several Cartridges.

I have collected enough parts to assemble another, newer, '44' action with a 'NOS' Breech Block (BB). The BB is now 'tightly fitted' to the receiver, it 'drags/presses' on the Receiver Shoulders as it is brought up into battery, checked with thin lacquer coating on the BB being scraped off by the act of closing Action.
    The BB Pivot Pin is .293", along with the Lever Pivot Pin, the upper Link Pivot is a 3/16" "nominal" Dowel Pin and the lower Link Pivot is a "oversize" 3/16 Dowel Pin. Hammer pivot is a New Screw, along with the Trigger pivot. Now I need to "fit" the trigger "pivot to Sear" length to properly hold the hammer in "Half Cock" clear of the Firing pin tip and still engage at the "Full Cock" position.

I have 200 hornet cases that are expanded to .25" neck ID and 200 more to do to this stage. I want to get all of the cases expanded before I start the Sizing process.

This is the Time of TAXES and Fees that need to be paid so I am hoping for some Work Calls.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 01-08-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Today I received an Ebay purchased Used Original Stevens '44' Trigger and it fits my action without adjustments.
    I will save the Welded one for a spare.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Yesterday's mail delivery brought me my new CPA Rifles Model 44 forearm in Grade 3 Wood to go with the used Paul Shuttleworth 'Bench Rest' Butt stock I previously won on an Ebay auction. This forearm is the Single screw type for a Half Octagon-Half round '44' barrel and it fits my used Stevens "44" barrel in ".22LR" Very Nicely. The 'figure' in the wood is somewhat visible under the machined but not sanded surfaces and looks like it will finish up Beautifully. There is still some sanding to be done on the area just behind the 'Schnabel' tip as my fingers found a slight rough spot there.

Another item to be decided is whether or not I want to fit a Detachable Swivel stud to the Forearm; I have an M1A with a detachable swivel stud that takes a Biped rest if I desire.
    IF I do, I will also need to figure out where the Stud should be located on the Forearm.

In the interim, I can admire it.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234