Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Condor Tool & Knife Nessmuk Knife

Boolit Buddy

Condor Tool & Knife Nessmuk Knife

After looking at a number of web reviews I purchased one of these for $39.00 Canadian at Vancouver's local knife & sword emporium [U]Warriors and Wonders[U]. They sell for about $10.00 cheaper in the states. A number of reviews indicated that the blade was dull, handle had no surface finishing on it and that the steel was hard to sharpen. On the first count, I had no problem shaving the hair off my arm; on the second count there doesn't seem to be a lot of surface finishing but the wood handle slabs and brass fasteners are sanded nice and smooth; last I don't know about the steel hardness since it wasn't broke I didn't try to fix it. The full tang blade is 1075 high carbon steel and comes with a warning about taking care of it to avoid rust. The quality control sticker was dated Mar-Apr 2013which might be why the quality seems much better than in some of the older reviews.

This is a small knife although they make a larger version. O.A.L. is about 8.75" and the blade is about 4". Steel is 1/8" thick. Overall I feel like I got a good product for the price.

Boolit Master

Made up a Nessmuk based on the article in FFG a few years back. Just so happened did in fact use 1075 and the blade thickness was 1/8". Very interesting design with a history going back I think to about 1900 or so. Have lost count to date on how many deer I have either dressed out or completely dressed and cut up with it but its more than a few. Actually think I prefer the design to any other. Seems to work well either dressing or cutting. Would like to try it out on some bigger game like elk or such but will be a while before I can play those games. Need to get the other knee rebuilt first.
    Go back to the early 1800's to about the 1920's or so and the commercial model that was out there that many preferred, the HBC and others was the Green River design. The Nessmuk actually isn't that far removed.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting history. good luck getting that knee fixed.

Boolit Master

Bought one of the Condor Nessmukes from somewhere on the web several years ago.

Sharpened it more on receipt and have yet to kill something to test it on since.
    It is in my "hunting Pack ready to do it's duty though should I start hunting more or doing better when I do go.

Used t for the field dressing duties last year (2016 season) on 2 deer and it performed as I would want.
    I have a couple of select knifes that are used to convert a deer to freezer pieces and parts
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-22-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Add experience with the knife
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Bought a Kephart Condor, made in El Salvador a while back. Great looking knife and sheath. The sheath came apart and the company made it good. Knife is soft steel. Sharpen often but not hard enough to clean and cut up a deer. Still looking for a good deer knife, maybe Bark River. Hope this helps.

I have a nessmuk pattern knife from ML Knives and it is the sharpest and longest lasting edge I own. I do love it.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I bought a condor hivernant several years back. One of the best production knives I have ever owned. Don't believe the bs people spew about condor, they make good knives. By the way when you call the issue call line you get the desk of the company owner in Florida..... how many other companies have problem calls go right to the owner's desk?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Just bought a local made knife of this pattern and so far am happy with the edge,over all quality and really like the multiple ways to hang the sheath on a belt or pack or load bearing vest.