• Lee loader

55 20.45%
  • Lyman 310

63 23.42%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: compact and portable kit

Banned

That bag looks like a great choice.

I've been using a video camera bag. I like the multiple padded compartments to protect my scale and chronograph, but it's unneeded weight and bulk for all of the other loading tools that are quite rugged.

Some how this thread keeps popping up. I do need to update my Portable Kit and really this thread needs to have another polling option. IE: BPM Hand Press? Since so many here have purchased them from me.

My kit now resides in a Cabela's Small Duffle Bag, slightly larger than the excellent LAPG Bags previously used. It is shaped differently and lends itself to holding my tool and accessories better.

Here's pics.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, I keep my Buchanan loader in the LAPG bag I purchased along with it. It keeps it clean and secure -- too precisely machined and engineered to risk mishandling. I purchased a relatively small plastic ammo-type box on "Clearance" at a near-by Gander Mountain store closing, and it is perfect to complement the tool. In it I have calipers, a C-clamp, notepad + pen, a few 'drivers, my Imperial sizing wax, dies, Sharpies (for case/load marking) and requisite powder, primers, plus -- of course -- bullets. The only down-fall to "my" system is I funnel powder into a smaller plastic container -- meticulously labeled -- but need return it to original bottle when done. That I could do just not having to move/return the powder would indeed be a plus. Albeit I used the word "meticulous", each and every addition from "the basics" -- e.g., in this case measuring directly from original powder container, adds the potential for error. To complement my Buchanan I employ an almost antique Redding scales -- old, but very accurate; small enough to fit on top in my box. My curiosity is piqued re what scale is used/packed in the Cabela bag?

Geo: It is a little Franklin Arsenal Digital scale from Midway. I also have a Redding #1 beam scale I can put in with it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Randy, for scale you employ info. I'd wager my old Redding may be their #1 (???). I think I am too old, or too much of a scoff, to trust digital scales. I bought one a decade ago, and used a weight check set to make me warm and fuzzy of its accuracy -- neither of which occurred. I returned it, and was promptly sent a brand new replacement which was just as unreliable. That one went in trash... However, that YOU use one in itself gives credence and good testimony to its accuracy. (Technology surely has sped forward in very short time!)

MidwayUSA shows three Fr Ars digital scales, two of which are presently in stock. Is the "Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity" scale the one you're using? For thirty bucks the price is right, and I may just check it out. HOWEVER: In the MidwayUSA description is written: "This is a good scale, keeps it's zero better than most electronic scales I've used. On the other hand - it's not a great scale... you can't trickle a charge - the scale doesn't change. You have to pick up the pan, trickle, and place it back down on the scale." This is definitely a feature I could do without -- albeit having my old balance in the bed of my (capped) pickup truck bed to keep wind affects down will be the way I'll still be weighing charges.

Thanks.
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-09-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Geo: I trickle directly into mine, but you should understand these types of scales only have a resolution of +/-.1 gr so that really means a window of about .3 gr when you get to the tick over point on either side of nominal.

It is adequate for what I'm doing with .44 Special and Magnum Cartridges and .308's, .30-06's .303's and .45-70's, all of which really don't need hairsplitting accuracy in the charges. If I need to split hairs I use my 1010.

The press is a accurate as the dies you use it has nearly perfect strait line movement and the alignment between the die an the shell holder is also nearly perfect. Certainly within .001-2 TIR.

The relationship is in the 3 holes in the Top Plate and Slide. All 3 holes in each part are drilled in the same setup on a CNC Machining Center, so their relationship is nearly perfect. They are in a strait line and the distance between them is nearly exact and the same on both parts.

I say "nearly perfect," as perfect is not obtainable in a production setup there will be slight variations.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy, l’m a little baffled by the acronyms... where did that neat little (flat) zipper pouch for your press come from? Although I already had one of the HDS Compac units before you went into production, I’m thinking that might be a good thing to replace the ratty old cardboard box that it came in. . BTW, I’m pleased to see your presses are proving so popular. Just goes to show if you give the people what they want...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Froggie: It's a Boyd's Pistol Case.

And You can buy one from me with the BPM press already installed in it.

Go directly to website listed below and place order.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Some how this thread keeps popping up. I do need to update my Portable Kit and really this thread needs to have another polling option. IE: BPM Hand Press? Since so many here have purchased them from me.

My kit now resides in a Cabela's Small Duffle Bag, slightly larger than the excellent LAPG Bags previously used. It is shaped differently and lends itself to holding my tool and accessories better.

Here's pics.

Randy
    Neat tool and kit there Randy! I'd say this thread just rates as "general interest", since I'm sure the thought of taking enough stuff to the range to mess around with a load, shoot a few rounds, tweak it a little and shoot a few more has gone through a lot if not most of the heads on this forum. It certainly has mine. Although in my case, my thought was to reload my somewhat limited cases to simply do another round of plinking.

Last time I was out, I didn't actually do that, as it was too windy. Guess that's why I keep seeing all those wind-farms around here... I'm gonna have to get used to shooting in a cross-wind if I ever plan to hit a deer at range!
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

I have thought of a rainy day kit several times over the last couple years. There could be a time when a person was caught out with no access to any conventional equipment. A Lee loader or two, custom sized powder dippers, a couple small bottles of powder, a flat of primers, a handful of bullets and cases. That would fit in a shaving kit size bag.

When I started loading I bought a Lee hand press, dies, scale, calipers. It all fit in a small leather tote that slid under the bed, I loaded at the kitchen table and that got me hooked. I still have that press. Hard to beat for the 45 bucks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I may have covered this a while back and if so, please forgive me..

I have a night vision goggle can that is essentially a 50 cal can only taller. I want to put together a kit that has EVERYTHING i need to load 35 remington and .308 winchester. Itll have two molds, two containers of gas checks, a container of lube, two lee boolit sizers and the appropriate dies.
    My question,
    In ya'll's opinion, would I be best served using standard dies and a Lee hand press, Lee loaders or Lyman 310 tools?

I know Id probably be better off just filling the can with loaded ammo but thats not my line of thinking.

The 308 would be easiest. Neck sizing for a bolt gun ONLY. BUT, the 35 is for a lever gun and neck sizing only may not be the best idea.

I have some very cool metal tins that stack neat and tight in the can to store gas checks, lube and primers. My pet loads for both rifles use AA2015 so I only need one powder and one primer type.

One thing I have not begun to ponder is a heat source for casting. It would need to be fire based, not electric.
    I also have a 20mm can that may be a better option as I intend to store a pair of wheel weight pliers in there. They actually have a rubber mallet on one end, unlike the typical metal ones. It can serve many uses like snagging wheel weights to cast with, a mold mallet, and they have a cutter built in that can be used for many things.

My reasoning is thus, not to bore you with the inconsequential details of my life, but things are such that I may have to move soon and that move would require trimming not only all the fat but a good deal of meat as well. Not a prospect I am enthused about, i tell ya.

Any thoughts are welcome.
    Lyman Shell Sizers full length resize rifle brass when needed. They use a mallet. They are available in 35 Rem and 308.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Mr Magnet, you wouldn't happen to have one of the Lyman Shell Sizers in 44-40, would you? I've got dupes in such desirable calibers as 45 Colt, 32-40, 25-20 SS, and a couple of other neat ones if you wanna do a deal.

Froggie

PS Still no luck on 32 S&W dies... I know they're down there somewhere but I think Elvis Presley is keeping them hidden from Jimmy Hoffa so he can't sell them to Ambrose Bierce.
    "It aint easy being green!"

I thought I'd alert everyone on this thread that LAPG has their very popular "Bail Out Bags" in many different colors on sale this weekend for $21.99 !!! You simply can't beat that price for a product of this quality and utility,,, anywhere!!! Period!

5 stars over 1233 reviews is pretty hard to beat!

These bags and some of the best made tool holder type bags made and are very well thought out for shooters, and suitable for many uses, and I wouldn't hesitate throwing a bunch of tools in one and keeping it in my Jeep. They are a great solution for a Portable Reloading Kit.

Anyway here's a direct link to the product and they now have about 9 different colors so there is something for everyone. https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I think I need a Red One for all my First Aid stuff.

Randy

I just moved all my Portable Reloading Kit to one of the Jumbo Bail Out Bags and everything fit great with plenty of room for expansion. The Cabela's bag I was using just got stuffed too full and weighed too much for how it was constructed. The Jumbo Bag was big enough and strong enough to hold anything I could ever want to include.

This bag is about 22" long from end to end with the powder bottles in the end pockets.
    I have my LNL Press with the Die HolderBlock and Clamp inside and other stuff dispersed thruout the numerous pockets. It weighs a little over 16 lbs. now and could easily double that if I started putting boxes of dies and bags of boolits inside.

The bag is strong enough that I could fill it up with lead shot and it would take it.

This is pretty good stuff guys, and for the price it is a Screamin' Deal. I'd at least have a look at the website.

Randy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345