• Lee hand press

151 56.13%
  • Lee loader

55 20.45%
  • Lyman 310

63 23.42%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: compact and portable kit

I started my career with the Lee Loader in 9mm Luger pushing 40 years ago (Hi-Power).
    I sold that one but have a few still.. some brand new/never used. Were I to do it again, not that they had the Lee hand press back then, I'd go with the hand press and getting one is on my short list.. quick bushing or not.
    You can actually "bang 'em out" (lol) pretty fast with the Lee Loader.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I may have covered this a while back and if so, please forgive me..

The 308 would be easiest. Neck sizing for a bolt gun ONLY. BUT, the 35 is for a lever gun and neck sizing only may not be the best idea.

Any thoughts are welcome.
    I put this kit together for 30-30. 35 Rem is fine with just neck sizing, providing you use cases that have been fired in your rifle. I have a 336 and for my cast loads, I prefer to just neck size. 310 and tong tool is different, have one but I'm not sure that I would say that I like it. Minuses are price, and too many parts. Pluses are it has a far superior priming system. Nothing beats a real press, and the LEE hand press is not a real press. It works OK, I modified it to spit the primers out instead of storing them, and then I sold it. Sold the 30-30 kit as well.

It's probably better to horde ammo.

Boolit Master
    I like the 310 tool, one of mine is the older style, made of steel, I esp. like it for priming/depriming and my choice if I was required to reload in the field, it won't break.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I like the 310 tool, one of mine is the older style, made of steel, I esp. like it for priming/depriming and my choice if I was required to reload in the field, it won't break.
    I liked my steel handled 310 tools so much that I made a concentrated effort to acquire one each of the transitional interchangeable steel handles (L & S) for the calibers for which I lack the dedicated handles. It may just be an affection or my imagination, but they just seem "right" to me. I'd still be willing to take a couple more of the dedicated handles in calibers I load most often. Just sayin'.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I'm not a fan of the new, cheapo alum. or pot metal ones, those older steel ones would last forever.(310 handles)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I'm not a fan of the new, cheapo alum. or pot metal ones, those older steel ones would last forever.(310 handles)
    Really, I'm just being a bit snobbish when insisting on steel handles. Truth to tell, I've only seen a couple of broken aluminum handles ever and it could be argued they had been abused and overstressed...

but I'm holding on to my steel handles!

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    I started reloading with the .310 tools and the Lee whack a mole. I was 10 years old and my Dad made sure I learned the importance of precision work. When I was 18 a friend of mine and I had an apartment and I was able to add a hand press for full length resizing. At the time all was loading was 30-06 and .303 British. For casting I had a Coleman propane camp stove a plumbers pot and Lyman ladle and a Lyman 311466 bullet mold. I have been thinking of downsizing some of the stuff my Dad left me when he died.

Boolit Master
    Froggie..I too like the steel ones..though I prefer the older nickled Ideal ones!

Boolit Bub
    This thread has got me thinking. A kit that I can carry to the range will greatly expand my ability to test new loads and weapons. I have nice wood box that I used to store my reloading tools in when I lived in and apartment. I also have a hip roof tool box that would work nice. I will start a new thread and attempt to document my progress.

Boolit Master
    I want a portable kit, but I want more of a substantial press like a RCrusher etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    I want a portable kit, but I want more of a substantial press like a RCrusher etc.
    If you go through this thread, you will find discussion of the HDS Compac Press™ that may be the best combination of substantial and portable. That's the one I'm using and it has the benefit of using standard RCBS pattern shell holders and 7/8 x 14 dies. MSRP is not really bad, but if you find a used one at a gun show or whatever, they can become downright reasonable.

Froggie

Froggie

Banned

Looks like Huntington quit selling them. They were listed as out of stock for a while and now gone. Too bad.

Boolit Grand Master

I do load work ups at the range occassionally. Just a simple luttle lee c-frame powder measure and scales along with appropriate seating die. I take brass fully prepped and primed readu to drop charges and seat bullets. This way all you need to do at the range is charge seat and possibly crimp. This saves alot of time at the range. 100 or so cases goes a long ways to working up a load.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Looks like Huntington quit selling them. They were listed as out of stock for a while and now gone. Too bad.
    That is a real shame and a loss to the shooting community. This press is the closest I have found to a bench-type press that could be packed away and carried to the range in a handy way. I'm happy that I got mine when I did and am not like to let it get away.

Froggie

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I love my Hunting Compact. Before that I had an original Harold Decker hand press which I gave to Huntington to encourage them to make it after Harold died. I never got the Decker press back, but Huntington sent me a new press and has been generous in other ways so that I have no complaints.

I have Ideal tong tool set ups for the calibers I shoot most, steel handles in all the sizes and a set of modern aluminum handles with a full set of guide bushings. I've also had several sets of custom dies made for calibers Lyman never made, such as the .35/.30-30. I love the tong tools and keep them in the hunting camp.

BUT for the fellow starting out today, buying off the shelf hardware, the Lee Hand Press does it. I love mine and that is what I take to the range for load development. It is the "best buy" in starter reloading kit.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have taken a reloading kit to IHMSA matches before. Had a Lee hand press, but I also had a 310 tool for priming and bullet seating. A Lil Dandy powder measure in where the rotors were modified so that maybe throwing a powder charge twice would equal the load I used in that cartridge. All fit in a 50 cal can. You can fit alot in a 50 cal can.

Banned

Hello, I found 'Cast Boolits' via Junior's (He had a most enjoyable writing style.) 'The Frugal Outdoorsman' and I'm assembling my version of his kit in his article 'Campfire Bullet Casting and Loading.'

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/campcast.htm

I read Skeeter back in the day too, and have long kept that much of a portable ammo factory - Lee Hand Press and dies, though.

I've been loading rifle since my teens, but I've just begun with handgun. Handgun, I think, is better suited to portable loading: no lube, smaller components, and with the Lee Speed Die that I just got - less dies.

Casting, if not cast bullets, is going to be new to me too. In my lurking here I've decided that 45ACP is my best candidate as a cast 'training wheels' round.

I don't know why, but this portable loading kit idea has really caught my interest.

BTW: Does anyone know anything about the Pacific Pak-it? The little that I've learned is that it was Pacific's sort of screw powered Lee Loader.

I recently found a better tool box for my kit,,, except it's a Bag! An LA Police Gear Bug Out Bag to be specific.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Been a big proponent of tool bags for my shooting accessories for some time now. I like the Lowes, or Home Depot ones or even the Harbor Freight ones. They are cheap and work well for containing your range stuff. I refuse to pay $80 for a "Range Bag" when a $12 tool bag has lasted for 15 years already!

This bag comes in 4 colors and is usually $19.95. I have 4-5 of them that I use for various things like My Shotgun Bag that has all my Shotgun Shooting stuff in it so I can just grab and go. Same with Tactical Stuff for my Three Gun Shoots. I have other bags for my pistols, and usually when I go to the range I'll have a Rifle, a bag with all my general tools and Ammo for the day, and another bag with my backup pistol that also has my ear muffs and glasses. I always take a Pistol to the range just in case.

This bag is long enough for my Lee Hand Press in its box (very important to keep your stuff in original boxes if possible.) The big pocket inside has a divider lengthwise and the Hand Press fits perfectly on one side. A box of dies fits the other side, in fact you could easily have 3-4 sets of dies in that pocket, for Bug Out Purposes.

My Digital scale goes in one of the side pockets along with my ancient Lee Hand Priming tool which still works just fine.

There are two pockets on the ends that are meant for Water Bottles, however they are also just the right size for Bottles of Powder. Plenty of other pockets for various sundry tools and components.

I think I've finally found the ideal solution for containing my "Portable Kit." It's a damn site better than the Plastic Craftsman Toolbox I had been using that allowed stuff to slide around and bang into each other.

Here's pics.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-04-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice, Randy. I too am a strong believer in a complete package for each discipline, and do so well with it that I'm spoiled... which is a small problem if I take something out and forget to return it to the bag before my next trip to the range! I've got a couple of those good canvas tool bags, so I'll have to investigate that application for them.

Froggie

Froggie: I edited in the link to the Bug out Bag at the LAPG Website in my above post. It will be of interest to a lot of us since they have virtually everything "Tactical" known to man. I have bought a lot of clothing and other accessory items from them and it's all good quality stuff.

I would encourage anyone who reads this and doesn't already know about LA Police Gear to visit their website and have a look around.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast