Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soda pop can gas checks can be pulled off the bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Question soda pop can gas checks can be pulled off the bullets.

gas checks made from 1, 2, 3, and 4 thicknesses of soda pop cans can be pulled off the bullet after sizing.
    Using the shiny or painted side of the pop can made no difference in my tests.
    See photo.
    What am I doing wrong?
    The gas checks made from 68104 amerimax aluminium flashing cannot be removed with my fingers.

I am using:
    copy of a Lyman #311466 mold purchased in a Cast Boolits group buy.
    Soda pop can which is 0.004" thick.
    68104 amerimax aluminium flashing is 0.014" thick.
    Pat Marlin's .30 caliber Checkmaker.
    Lyman 450 luber/sizer.
    Lyman 309 sizing die.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00059.jpg  

On Heaven's Range

For MANY years, it was a routine thing for the Lyman/Ideal slip-on checks to leave the bullet outside the muzzle. There were even some efforts made to ENSURE that the checks fell away in a consistent manner, to increase the potential accuracy of the load.

I'd say that, if it bothers you, just add a drop of Loc-Tite to each check, well-distributed around its perimeter.

On firing, the gas pressure will most definitely keep the gascheck in its proper place on the bullet, doing its job.

My greatest concern would be making sure the check stayed on the bullet inside the case, if it's seated below the case neck. The Loc-Tite would also help with this.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWatsonfromIdaho View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    It's nothing you're doing and everything to do with the nature of the material used in the gas check. I've had success in making checks from brass sheeting that was 0.005", but I'm not willing to send that kind of money down range into the burm.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Mold
    what are you using to make you gas checks?

Boolit Master

gas checks made from 1, 2, 3, and 4 thicknesses of soda pop cans can be pulled off the bullet after sizing.
    Using the shiny or painted side of the pop can made no difference in my tests.
    See photo.
    What am I doing wrong?

The gas checks made from 68104 amerimax aluminium flashing cannot be removed with my fingers.

I am using:
    copy of a Lyman #311466 mold purchased in a Cast Boolits group buy.
    Soda pop can which is 0.004" thick.
    68104 amerimax aluminium flashing is 0.014" thick.
    Pat Marlin's .30 caliber Checkmaker.
    Lyman 450 luber/sizer.
    Lyman 309 sizing die.

Your coke can aluminum check is not being swaged onto the base because it is too thin for the Boolit Shank. The shank on that boolit is going to be about 0.283". When you add .004 - plus - .004 for each side of the Soda Can check; you get a diameter of ~ 0.291. This means the .308 to .311 sizer you use, will never press the check down enough to grip.

Your 68104 AmeriMax checks are thicker. When you add the size of the shank, plus .014 - plus - .014 for each side of the Amerimax check; you get a diameter of ~ 0.311. This means the .308 to .311 boolit sizer you use, will press the check down enough to grip, even at the .311 sizing diameter.

When you "Sandwhich" multiple coke can checks; they are not bonding to each other, plus the springback of the material keeps it from holding onto the additional layers of coke can aluminum material. This is why the advice to use a superglue/loctite/et.al. to bond the sandwhich and the sandwhiched checks to the shank.

Mustang

Attachment 82984

Boolit Master

Guys-

I realize the allure of wanting to make something out of almost nothing. Coke can gas checks fit in that category. However, it's hard to beat Yonky's coils. The aluminum is dead soft, so it's easy to punch and doesn't spring back when formed, and it comes in different thicknesses.

You can make the other stuff work, and it's a nice feeling to know that avenue is open for you, but seriously, is it the fight you want to spend effort on?

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy
    graphic914
    I am using Pat Marlin's .30 caliber Checkmaker.

Boolit Buddy
    Dale in Louisiana
    I do want to try Yonky's coils. They seem to be slightly more expensive, but not having to cut the roof flashing might make it worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Mustang
    Thank you for the explanation. Bonding the layers of soda pop cans together is too much effort for me. I have calculated the aluminum roof flashing to cost 0.2 cent per gas check. That cost is low enough.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    it depends what you mean by expensive,you don't have to buy a paper cutter to use my coils,the edges are smooth,the width/gauge/metal spec is spot on.i will even send you samples to try free of charge.check out the testimonial page on the coilandfoil.com website if you wish.
    it seems to me that people will mainly only leave feedback when they receive bad service or a bad product,but it would be nice to hear all customers comments both good and bad so you can see what needs fixing... just a thought..
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    Yonky
    When I said more expensive, I was only figuring the cost of the aluminium for the gas checks.

I bought Aluminum Flashing from Ace Hardware.
    Amerimax Home products. Roll Valley Flashing.
    Aluminum
    Standard 0.014" thick It measures at 0.014" thick.
    Part#
    68104 4"x50' $19.07 Special order.

cut strips 1/2" wide.
    Get 8 or 9 of the .30 caliber gas checks per 4" strip.
    50' = 50' X 12 inches per foot = 600 inches = 1200 1/2 inch strips.
    1200 1/2" strips X 8 per strip = 9600 gas checks for $19.07

$19.07/9600 = 0.2 cents each.
    I now cut the strips at 15/32", but 0.2 cents each is close enough.
    ---
    Aluminium coil the correct width and thickness from Yonky at www.coilandfoil.com
    Prices are as follows:

1/2" wide x .014" thick x 50‘ long aluminium $5 per coil, maximum of 3 coils per small flat rate box, shipping is $6.00
    3 coils X $5 per coil = $15 plus shipping is $6.00 = $21
    50' = 50' x 12" = 600 inches x 3 coils = 1800 inches for
    $21
    I was getting 8 gas checks per 4" strip from aluminium flashing, thus 2 gas checks per 1" of coil.
    1800 inches X 2 = 3600 gas checks for $21
    $21.00 / 3600 = 0.58 cents each.
    slightly more expensive.
    I do not have to cut the coils into strips.
    Hornady gas checks are about 3 cents each.

I have learned a lot just in the short time I have owned and used the .30 caliber Checkmaker from Pat Marlin.

Soda pop cans have not worked for me.

There is the price of the paper cutter and the work to cut the aluminium flashing into strips. Sometimes I do not cut the strips to the correct width and either I have to trim the strips to get them to fit or the strips are too narrow and I get partial disks punched.

I plan to try the aluminium coils from Yonky. After using them I could give my opinion of the three aluminium materials: soda pop cans, roof flashing and coils.
    I would also like to try the copper coils.

Boolit Buddy
    Dale in Louisiana could not have said it any better. Get your check material from Yonky.

I have found that I cannot or should I say will not make any more checks out of cheap materials. As the old computer saying goes - "garbage in garbage out"

Yonky
    When I said more expensive, I was only figuring the cost of the aluminium for the gas checks.

I bought Aluminum Flashing from Ace Hardware.
    Amerimax Home products. Roll Valley Flashing.
    Aluminum
    Standard 0.014" thick It measures at 0.014" thick.
    Part#

cut strips 1/2" wide.
    Get 8 or 9 of the .30 caliber gas checks per 4" strip.
    50' = 50' X 12 inches per foot = 600 inches = 1200 1/2 inch strips.
    1200 1/2" strips X 8 per strip = 9600 gas checks for $19.07

$19.07/9600 = 0.2 cents each.
    I now cut the strips at 15/32", but 0.2 cents each is close enough.
    ---
    Aluminium coil the correct width and thickness from Yonky at www.coilandfoil.com
    Prices are as follows:

1/2" wide x .014" thick x 50‘ long aluminium $5 per coil, maximum of 3 coils per small flat rate box, shipping is $6.00
    3 coils X $5 per coil = $15 plus shipping is $6.00 = $21
    50' = 50' x 12" = 600 inches x 3 coils = 1800 inches for
    $21
    I was getting 8 gas checks per 4" strip from aluminium flashing, thus 2 gas checks per 1" of coil.
    1800 inches X 2 = 3600 gas checks for $21
    $21.00 / 3600 = 0.58 cents each.
    slightly more expensive.
    I do not have to cut the coils into strips.
    Hornady gas checks are about 3 cents each.

I have learned a lot just in the short time I have owned and used the .30 caliber Checkmaker from Pat Marlin.

Soda pop cans have not worked for me.

There is the price of the paper cutter and the work to cut the aluminium flashing into strips. Sometimes I do not cut the strips to the correct width and either I have to trim the strips to get them to fit or the strips are too narrow and I get partial disks punched.

I plan to try the aluminium coils from Yonky. After using them I could give my opinion of the three aluminium materials: soda pop cans, roof flashing and coils.
    I would also like to try the copper coils.
    I think you mean $0.002 per gas check and $0.0058 per gas check respectively. How much is your time worth to you? Yonky's coils are already the correct width saving you the time spent cutting and then trimming them again if you didn't get them the right width the first time.

Boolit Man
    1900 pennys for 9600 checks = 0.197 ct. ea math.

Boolit Buddy
    But .197 cents is $0.002!

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    As far as I'm concerned, the main reason that I would want to use aluminum cans for gas checks is availability. I always have a few empty aluminum beer cans hanging around, so the cost of them is basically ZERO. The roof flashing from Home Depot is nearly as good from an availability standpoint, but if there is only one supplier of the coil strips, that makes me a bit cautious. I haven't got into making my own gas checks though. Being an RVer, I have to make choices on how much stuff I carry around with me all the time since space it at a premium.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Moderator Emeritus

Popcans usually work great for Plain base checks.
    standard gas checks need thicker material...and as been said, thickness is dictated differently for each application. DO the research and get/buy the correct material.
    Multiple layers is a fools game !
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I thought the Pat Marlin checkmaker and using pop cans was for putting checks on PB boolits? Wouldn't they press on and hold on PB?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    it depends what you mean by expensive,you don't have to buy a paper cutter to use my coils,the edges are smooth,the width/gauge/metal spec is spot on.i will even send you samples to try free of charge.check out the testimonial page on the coilandfoil.com website if you wish.
    it seems to me that people will mainly only leave feedback when they receive bad service or a bad product,but it would be nice to hear all customers comments both good and bad so you can see what needs fixing... just a thought..
    1. You can't go wrong with Yonky's products. I have used them in .357/9mm/.223/.308/30-06/7.65/8mm/.50BMG and am more than satisfied, and highly recommend them to those who seek a consistent product that works well in both Pat Marlin & FreeChex gas check makers.

2. I continually experiment with other source materials to satisfy my curiosity, and ensure that I have alternative sources if needed. The need for this philosophy can be seen with our current shortages in Powder, primer, and 22LR. My experimenting with .50BMG powders (WC860, WC867, & WC872), and load developments for calibers from .223 through .50BMG have kept me shooting while others are out of a better suited powder choice. This also translates to ensuring I have gas check materials for all of my calibers. I recently explored cutting up a thick walled aluminum Hair Spray can my wife had thrown out. It produced some very fine looking .50BMG gas checks that tightly adhered to the base of my 850Grain boolit.

By the way, I far prefer using Yonky's coil for the .50BMG as I spent almost 2 hours to dissect the Aluminum Hair spray can, flatten the curves where the can base and top were created, and to punch out 50 or so checks from the material. I prefer to use the coil product I purchased from Yonky, but having an alternative if needed is essential to my remaining contented.

Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    VHoward

I think you mean $0.002 per gas check and $0.0058 per gas check respectively.

I do mean that.

0.2 cents each = $0.002
    0.58 cents each = $0.0058

How much is your time worth to you?
    I cannot answer that until I have tried Yonky's coils.

I have ordered samples from Yonky. They should be here this week.